By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Not Meeting Sales Expectations?

The next GTA will sell better when it's on the Wii.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Blame it on EB and Gamestop for recycling games.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Haha. The game has sold better than any other game this gen. Of course TT is disappointed. Where did they say that btw?

pbroy said:
Blame it on EB and Gamestop for recycling games.

Actually, I'm starting to wonder exactly how many sales EB and GS siphon from publisher/developers through recycling traded in new releases.

When you think about it, both companies are really only leaching revenue off the industry considering that the only benefit their trade in service provides is a $5 discount on new releases (typically $55 for a used copy of a new hit game) to the consumer, and a home for old, unused collections/games bought for a few dollars (in credit) a piece.

Maybe someone who's worked for either could figure out a rough estimate, based upon number of retail outlets, plus the average number of used copies of hit new releases over say the first 2 months of a new release.

What did they expect? With the attach rate it has its pretty much doing as well as it could have. Nevertheless it'll get a nice christmas boost, plus there's still the pc release and the japanese releases. Plus the dlc on top of that. So they can still make a lot of money from gtaIV.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
The next GTA will sell better when it's on the Wii.

Or they could remake this game for the Wii. Or port the III, VC, SA arc.

Bully sold over half as well on the Wii as on the 360. So they would have another 2-3 million sales easily of IV, and about the same if they port the PS2 games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

^ Theres an idea.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

FishyJoe said:
brute said:
I thought they said that it's sold over 10 million?
Why does this say 8.5?Maybe this is using that chart that shows only the U.S,U.K and Japan,but then again those markets don't equal up to 8.5 million.

Sales to retailers: 11 million

Sales to consumers: 8.5 million

VGChartz has sales as 10.3 Millions, as a mod one would at least expect from you to trust the site..........

Take Two had a press release recently where they specifically mentionned that 10 millions copies where in households too now ( NOT retailers, HOUSEHOLDS).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

1. Gamefly, Gamespot, and Ebay are a lot more popular since the last GTA game.

2. The userbase is much smaller.

3. The game and hardware are more expensive.

I think those three things might be reasons why the game could never sell as much as it woulda 5 years ago on the PS2/Xbox.

The answer would be to dumb it down and port it to the Wii. All this "that game can't be done on the XXX console" is just fanboy jibberish designed to make them feel better about their "special" consoles. It's a videogame. Make it work. Port it to DS for god sakes. You'll make a mint.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

This is what a lot of people were saying before the game launched. It's going to sell well, but those 15M+ expectations are just plain ridiculous. It's not like it was released on a system as strong as the PS2 or Wii after all. =P