By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 20 million PS2 on store shelves out there?

Or even 3 million PSPs?

From July 20th

"Sony told those attending the video game industry’s E3 convention last week that sales of its original PlayStation, launched in 1994, had reached 102m units and the PlayStation 2 console had now passed 140m worldwide in its ninth year on sale."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1c46ad2e-5678-11dd-8686-000077b07658.html

From August 20th

"8:07 a.m. -- PSP is discussed. And it's importance to the PAL territories. PSP and its software library have been a huge success here. 41 million worldwide install base. Wicked!."

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/899/899988p1.html

VGChartz numbers:

Week ending July 25th - PS2 = 120,256,384

Week ending August 22nd - PSP = 37,692,411

Before anyone says it, I KNOW it's shipped numbers that Sony uses and vgchartz uses sold to consumers

You might also try to say Sony is rounding up to 140 million from 130,000,001 million or to 41 million from 40,000,001 million; and even if that were the case, I think there's usually at the most about 1 million consoles out there at warehouses and store shelves at any given point, 2 million is pushing it, 3 million is unlikely, 10+million extremely doubtful.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Sony contradicts themselves, The Source has already explained this many times. I'm too lazy to search for it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Sony contradicts themselves, The Source has already explained this many times. I'm too lazy to search for it.

I would like to see the explanation if you or someone else has it. Thanks.

Maybe they are all in the Source's basement since he is so pro MS?

Let me explain, before anyone says "oh its a typo"

I had a blog about this on GT.

SONY HAS SHIPPED TO RETAIL 143MILLION PLAYSTATION 2'S as of e3 2008.

They said this in E3, now I dont know why you people are tyring to spin this, the FACT remainds they did ship that many ps2's by that time.

mM
Around the Network

they should be over 130 by now.

should be in 130 millions's now.

wow, whats going on then, something is a lil fishy to me

I just think that this site doesn't have all the early data and missing regions that haven't been tracked at all.

Don't know, but VGC can't track every PS2 sold, because its so widely available. They try the best they can. 10mil is prob a little bit off, but its not that bad. Personally I don't really care, as we all know its 120mil+ and it won its generation's war. However, if the Wii gets over 100mil, then i want a proper count lol.