By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii will be hard to find even during the holidays?!?!?

The factories makiing the wiis are probably working as hard as they possibly can at this point, otherwise they would be able to increase production to meet demand. A given factory can increase production only so much, and eventually it is obvious that what you need to do is just get another factory up and running. BUT, this takes a lot of time. It isn't like they are building paper airplanes here....lol .  Also, michael pachter the closest thing that this industry has to a guru, has said that nintendo probably wont be able to add another production line until mid 2008

Anyway, unless nintendo has a large amount of wiis that they have been saving, they will be hard to find this christmas. And actually, this leaves a lot of opportunity for MS and Sony to fill in the gap of supply and demand with their own products. A price cut right now would increase demand by X percent. BUT, a price cut during Christmas would increase demand right now by X%+Y%, Y being the increase in demand associated with christmas above the expected normal amount. So, in other words, a price cut during the holidays would do a lot more then, and these other two companies could increase their user base by a lot. Look for some more extensive bundling or a price cut before the holidays....

Around the Network
RAcCoOnErOuS said:

ROFLMAO! That crazy ball of fire...I mean Hindenburg. 

Also, if the PS3 was sold for $250 right now, then Sony = bankrupt.

Good day. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

"There is no guarantee that we are not going to have 'out-of-stock' this holiday season," George Harrison, senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications for Nintendo of America, said in an interview. "If you see one, buy it. Don't assume that you can come back later and find one."

I think this is pretty smart. Spread the word, and it pretty well ensures that Wii sales won't be dropping off any time before the holidays.

"There is no guarantee that we are not going to have 'out-of-stock' this holiday season," George Harrison, senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications for Nintendo of America, said in an interview. "If you see one, buy it. Don't assume that you can come back later and find one."

I think this is pretty smart. Spread the word, and it pretty well ensures that Wii sales won't be dropping off any time before the holidays.

Around the Network

lol yea, but its true too

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

clandecyon said:
This is a given. Just for everyone's information, Holidays usually raise demand for a product. The problem with this one is that Wii was hard to find last holiday, parents have saved up, and now those not to have gotten one last year are going to try to get one this year thinking it will be easy to find, but what they do not know is that Wii has been sold out ever since. Those buying Wii's right now are not parents for their kids moreso than people who feel they HAVE to have it in their homes and cannot wait to get it as a Christmas gifts, with a few birthdays thrown in there I'm sure. The demand for Wii is at the next level and it will only grow and compound.

Holidays ALWAYS raise demand for a product. Most stores get 100% of their actual annual profit starting after thanksgiving (Black friday... the ink turns black, instead of RED).

PS3owner said:
This just proves how much Nintendo hates the gamers, Not only are they selling the system for more than its worth but they are limiting the supplies for no one can get the system, They have had about 8months to boost production, and have done nothing. By the time the wii is in stores no one is going to buy it, the PS3 and 360 will be cheaper, Nintendo won't even break 50mil units sold at this rate, Good way to lose fans Nintendo and boost the sales of PS3 and 360 during the holidays :D

Ok...WHAT?!? That's like saying 'Honda obviously hates the drivers'. NO LEGITIMATE COMPANY WOULD EVER BE STUPID ENOUGH TO HATE THEIR CUSTOMERS!!! This statement makes no sense whatsoever. Obviously, wii has produced more in a shorter period of time than either X360 or PS3 has, they've sold over 9 MILLION in 8 months!!! And to say they are limiting supply so no one gets the system is... WHAT??? I'm confused by your logic. Why the crap would they want to keep people from getting their system?!? Every console company is doing everything they can to sell as many units as they can because they all want to win and make money. Nintendo is doing everything they can to boost supply, because more supply equals more sold equals more money... pretty straight forward. The only thing they may be doing at this point that would limit supply is stockpiling units so they can have more for the holidays, but the intention is not to 'keep people from getting their console'.

And to fault them for 'selling the system for more than it's worth' is pretty...uhh...silly. Most companies sell things for more than they cost to produce... simple economics, it's called making a profit. I don't think you would be very smart to start a business making widgets (just slang for anything you can produce/sell) and selling them for less than what they cost, that would be a crappy business. Right now, Nintendo seems to be the only one smart enough to design a system they don't lose money on.

/rant

PS3owner said:
More people buy hotdogs over steak that doesn't mean its better, people buy the wii because it is cheap. Put the PS3 at $250 and it would sell over 10mil per month. I hope you guys enjoy your 64 style graphics.

Yes, and Sony would file for bankruptcy about 30 seconds after the new price was announced...cmon, are you really serious?? I guess you could say the same thing about Toyotas vs $10,000 Ferrarri's, but it would be just as pointless an argument.

And the comment about 64 style graphics... what?!? Enough said.

Especially when he recently called them 128 bit style graphics. He flip-flops on his stance.