By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Palin: "Bush Doctrine? Whaat?"

Kasz216 said:

To me it's the opposite.  Obama is the one being condescending.  His position is that we aren't out of Iraq because Iraq is procrastinating because we don't have a pull out date.  It wasn't condescending the Iraqi security forces either.  They just weren't ready becaush Bush stupidly disbanded the army.  They tried many times to hand over stuff to the security forces but it didn't work because they had to train these people longer then they expected.  They failed constantly at what they were supposed to do... and why not they were fighting people who had been in the army for a long time.

There is something you miss too... a majority of Iraqi's were for the US invading before the invasion.  It was just Bush's complete disaster of an invasion that caused the problem.

I saw a fun documentry on that once about an Iraqi guy who goes around asking people why the US invaded Iraq.  It was pretty biased but even he admitted most Iraqis thought the US invasion would be a good thing.  It's funny to see some people who have no clue why they invaded though, some people have some silly answers.

It's just Bush's idocy in only protecting things that were important to US interests during the invasion is what screwed everything up and made the Iraqi's standard of living decrease instead of increase.   Had there been a better person in control the Rumsfeld Iraq would of been in great shape... and the whole "Greeted as liberators" thing would of lasted more then the week or so it lasted.

I definitely agree that the Bush Administration's lack of foresight is the main reason why Iraq turned into such a mess.  It is pretty much unquestionable that it could have been handled much better.

I would have to look into it more to see what the Iraqis' attitudes were about the invasion before and afterwards.  I do know that the loss of civilian life has been pretty massive, and a lot of Iraqis have been displaced or have just plain left the country.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
whatever said:

I never said anything about them being saints, just that they won't go after McCain's service records.

This is just not true at all.  There are multiple Democrats (such as Jimmy Carter) who have said something to the effect of "being shot down in Vietnam isn't a good qualification to be president."  Then there was some dumbass at the Democratic Convention who claimed McCain "wasn't a good POW" because he refused to be given special treatment and be let go ahead of his comrades captured earlier.  A real class act, these ones.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

I am always in favor of diplomacy than being the agressor in war. I believe in protecting the country as best as possible but I'm also believer in the rights of the living(pro choice btw) War is a necessary evil and should be treated as such only when necessary.

First, look at my earlier posts, I said it wasn't a big deal even though I am voting Obama. There are plenty of other things not to like.

Second, the guy in that article claiming to be the one who defined Bush Doctrine is a douche bag. I've read a bunch of his stuff for school. He claims a lot of things.

Since Truman, every president has had a doctrine. It isn't defined by political scientists, historians, or journalists. It is defined by three things:

1. Official state department memos and papers.
2. Actions of the President.
3. Words of the President.

This is the official state department paper on BD:
http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itps/1202/ijpe/pj7-4lieber.htm

Written in December 2002.

It's not something a yes or no question can be answered to. Gibson was ignorant. So was Palin.

Doctrine is not as mysterious as that article precludes. It's always foreign policy. It's always in reference to the way the U.S. uses it's power to influence the world.

Does it matter. Not really. I don't really expect politicians to talk like political scientists.

I'm just reading these posts and offended at the ignorance. Just because you can find an article saying something you want to prove doesn't mean it's right. Consider your sources.

Like I said earlier though,  it doesn't matter.  So she didn't know what BD was, she knows now.  At least she didn't pretend to understand.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:

Second, the guy in that article claiming to be the one who defined Bush Doctrine is a douche bag. I've read a bunch of his stuff for school. He claims a lot of things.

Charles Krauthammer?  Maybe you should read up on the guy.  He probably did every one of the things he claimed, and probably teaches some of those Poli-Sci classes you are taking.

One of the few talking heads worth a damn.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

-Cancelling post, not interested in furthering this conversation. Burnt out on political BS and people pushing opinions as facts~