By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Palin: "Bush Doctrine? Whaat?"

Come on... I'm not even American and even I know what the Bush Doctrine is.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
PDF said:
Actually not very many people know what the Bush Doctrine is.

Sure it shows lack of foreign policy experience but we already knew she lacked that. Its not like the Bush Doctrine is a no brainer.

Come on, for how many years have people been discussing it?

A search for "Bush Doctrine" on google yields half a million results. I don't think it's a big deal that she asked for clarification, but when she says "his worldview" it gets pretty clear that she has no idea what it is. When he mentions Bush's declarations before the Iraq War, she goes off about terrorists and islamic extremism.

Let's let the circus go on...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It wasn't really clear to me either what he was referring to. Besides, Bush has screwed up pretty much every imaginable aspect of government over the past few several years. In situations like this, one really should specify at least "the Bush doctrine on pre-emptive strike". =P

I am an International Politics student. As my Republican friend says all too often, "Bush Doctrine: You better not try to kill my pappy"

(That is a true story)

Doctrine (when referring to a president) is basically the combination of actions and speeches of a president that represents a shift in policy execution.

The Monroe Doctrine set the U.S. on a course of controlling/protecting/leading the western hemisphere from European colonial powers, urging democracy and self governance - as long is it is in line with U.S. policy. This is the most famous "Doctrine"

As commander and chief, Bush change the executive role from the Clinton/Bush(42) Doctrine of law enforcement focus on terrorism and stabilizing the post-Soviet world to a primarily military reaction to terrorism and solidify ties with ex-Soviet nations.

It's really not that big of a deal. I don't like Palin but the fact that she at least uses big words makes me feel a little more comfortable with the idea of her potentially stepping in as president. Even if she knew nothing about foreign policy 2 weeks ago, she is definitely intelligent and a fast learner.

The video doesn't seem to make it out like she doesn't know what it is.  She's just was trying to get more out of the question. (Edit: Oh and the interviewers definition is wrong a very narrow definition)

Still voting for Obama though.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I just wanted to add for clarity.

Preemption in the Bush Doctrine isn't necessarily using military force for any case it's specifically for terrorist or state sponsors of terrorism with the capacity and intention to use WMDs. However, diplomatic channels are used (see: Iran).

The question is loaded, though.

The B.D. isn't limited to preemption, there are other parts. Some that McCain is against. Bush's version of multilateralism isn't what McCain is looking for.

I think Palin was genuinely trying to pull out of him what he was trying to get.

Also, working politicians hardly ever refer to PolSci concepts in office or during candidacy, they are trying to win office and sounding like a teacher won't get them votes. This is Obama's flaw sometimes, especially when he talks about foreign policy.

Edit: McCain, Biden, and Bush probably would give a similar response.  Obama and Cheney probably would have given a long answer.

Around the Network

Maybe that was the problem. She didn't know what doctrine meant?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Poor Sarah Palin. So much ridicule

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

CNBC is having this exact same argument.

lol, well doctrine. I figure if she studied journalism she probably got a little politics experience. maybe not

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

It's even funnier, I've just come back from the rest of the web... I'm an Obama supporter defending her, but the internet has exploded over this. She pissed off a lot of people, not just dems...

I really don't get, it's not that big of a deal. Also in that interview she made me feel much better about her "god's plan comment" after she explained it, I believe her.

Still voting for Obama.