By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - we will see less and less Xbox 360 exclusives in 2009.

maybe im wrong

but seeing how xbox 360 exclusives are now coming to the ps3 (ex:eternal sonata , bioshock, and many more), isnt it more likely to see these kind of titles go straight to multiplat?

ofcourse we would have never known which games they were bcuz of that, but we will juss notice less exclusives for the 360.

Around the Network

Too bad I heard that Microsoft opened their cheque book in a REALLY big way this year.

Tease.

It's very possible, but to us console owners, it shouldn't matter. I say share the wealth. Hopefully some of that wealth comes back this way also. BlazBlue and Disgaea 3 I'm looking at you.

Microsoft will still be strong in acquiring PC games that won't come to PS3, because of the development similarities between 360 and PC. I expect at least another 30-40 next year. There's already over 20 announced. I expect Microsoft to make a stronger internal studio division, and proof of that may be the breaking apart of Ensemble Studios. XBLA will continue to be primarily exclusive offerings I would bet, outside of Capcom and some shared releases with PC. As Squill aleady mentioned, Microsoft has a big checkbook to open the minute they need a third party exclusive though. Expect Namco to provide more next year and possibly more upcoming from Square.

Overall, the writing is finally on the wall with third party developers that going exclusive simply isn't worth the financial risk without a payout. So unless MS and Sony decide to publish an otherwise third party effort(making it second party essentially) or open up the wallet, neither are going to get much of anything exclusive handed to them anymore.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

CGI-Quality said:

I think Sony has proven now that they are more focused on their 1st party - and good for them, Sony has HUGE 1st party exclusives coming and honestly I hope the 3rd Parties that have exclusives still lined up for PS3 i.e. FF Versus XIII & Tekken 6 , (Kingdom Hearts 3 has not been confirmed PS3 exclusive as of yet), keep those games only on PS3 . As far as sharing the wealth in terms of 3rd party exclusives - I totally disagree. I bought the 360 to play Halo (2nd Party), Gears (3rd Party), Dead or Alive (3rd Party), Mass Effect (3rd Party), not to play FFXIII (3rd Party), MGS4 (3rd Party), DMC 4 (3rd Party), or Kingdom Hearts 3 (3rd Party). I bought the PS3 to play Killzone 2 (1st Party), FFXIII & Versus XIII (3rd Party), Heavy Rain (1st/2nd Party), and Tekken 6 (3rd Party), not to play Dead Rising (3rd Party), Infinite Undiscovery (3rd Party), Mass Effect, or Alan Wake (2nd Party) - see where I'm going here? Each system should keep it's originally planned exclusives exclusive - be it 3rd party or 1st/2nd. What is the point of multiple systems if each system gets the same games? And I do understand the developers needing the money sometimes but I personally think it's not fair to the consumer who buys a certain system for a certain library of games to find out those games will not actually be only on that system, and thus won't really take advantage of their system's power, and this goes whether it's PS3 or Xbox 360 so no bias here.

So essentially the reasoning for keeping third party exclusives is because multiplats don't take advantage of each console's hardware? Fair enough. So then can all the third party exclusives that don't take advantage of hardware in the first place be ported over? You didn't give a second argument, so I assume it would be ok. Let's face it, Disgaea 3 wouldn't max out the PS2 hardware, let alone the PS3, so I guess that can come over. Ninja Gaiden II isn't any more hardware taxing than Ninja Gaiden Sigma was, so PS3 can grab that one. In fact, very few third party exclusives take advantage of much of anything. Virtua Fighter 5 ported perfectly from being a PS3 exclusive over to being a 360 game, and it looks to be vice versa for Eternal Sonata. Your argument, in at least 80% of cases, doesn't really hold much weight.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

More than likely. Its simple economics.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

I think Sony has proven now that they are more focused on their 1st party - and good for them, Sony has HUGE 1st party exclusives coming and honestly I hope the 3rd Parties that have exclusives still lined up for PS3 i.e. FF Versus XIII & Tekken 6 , (Kingdom Hearts 3 has not been confirmed PS3 exclusive as of yet), keep those games only on PS3 . As far as sharing the wealth in terms of 3rd party exclusives - I totally disagree. I bought the 360 to play Halo (2nd Party), Gears (3rd Party), Dead or Alive (3rd Party), Mass Effect (3rd Party), not to play FFXIII (3rd Party), MGS4 (3rd Party), DMC 4 (3rd Party), or Kingdom Hearts 3 (3rd Party). I bought the PS3 to play Killzone 2 (1st Party), FFXIII & Versus XIII (3rd Party), Heavy Rain (1st/2nd Party), and Tekken 6 (3rd Party), not to play Dead Rising (3rd Party), Infinite Undiscovery (3rd Party), Mass Effect, or Alan Wake (2nd Party) - see where I'm going here? Each system should keep it's originally planned exclusives exclusive - be it 3rd party or 1st/2nd. What is the point of multiple systems if each system gets the same games? And I do understand the developers needing the money sometimes but I personally think it's not fair to the consumer who buys a certain system for a certain library of games to find out those games will not actually be only on that system, and thus won't really take advantage of their system's power, and this goes whether it's PS3 or Xbox 360 so no bias here.

Wall of text burns mine eyes.

Also at OP, I think you're incorrect, there has to be some differentiation between the consoles, and games seems the biggest one, and since Microsoft have zero in-house stuff and now chopping their limbs off (Bungie and Ensemble) I'd say they'll be buying more exclusives these days (or at least I would assume so).

They need some sort of competitive advantage over the other two, and since XBL is being caught up to by PSN, they'll need something that no amount of development could achieve, a brand-name game series.

Should add: I'd prefer more multiplatform then more exclusives, I just don't see the amount of exclusives being released decreasing over a long term.

We will indeed see less of them I think. Capcom stated in their latest release that they were not interested in exclusives. MS can pay for them and Sony has its own development studios - but you will see less of them as 2008 YTD clearly shows their is zero upside in being exclusive without a very good reason.

You might see more timed exclusives - but on most forums they get negative response so I think over time they may be affected too as no company in such a consumer focused industry wants negative responses to business moves.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Even if they spend zero on any 3rd party exlcusives they still have all the pc developer support and xbla people making exclusive offering. Hell they still have rare, lion head etc. They'll have plenty of exclusives.

As a reminder, PC games ported on the 360 can be considered as console exclusivities as well because they are less available on the PS3. But for those reason, it is always omited by the Sony fan club.

Another factor about the fact that Sony seems to have more exclusivities is the relative perpetual delay in the release calendar of the PS3. Since so many games are constantly delayed or take longer to develop, the total number of exclusivities keep pilling up in the list.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

considering the ease of porting PC to 360 and the lower develloping cost and time, I think there will be plenty of timed 360 exclusive at the very least.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO