By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official August NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 pm EST, 3.5 hours from post 1)

Wow, MKWii sold 150K more than VGC has.

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
Hardware Unit Sales

PlayStation 3 185.4K
PlayStation Portable 253.0K
Playstation 2 144.1K
Xbox 360 195.2K
Wii 453.0K
Nintendo DS 518.3K

Top 10 SKU's August 2008
(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units

360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 1 1.0mm
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 2 643K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 3 424.5K
WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 4 394.9K
WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 5 328.7K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 6 200.2K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jul-08 7 174K
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K
WII MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 9 115.8K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Jun-08 10 111.2K

Woow, 360 outsells PS3! It doesn't make sense, 360 coudln't outsell PS3 withj a price drop.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop believing VGC American hardware from now on, they're always wrong.

Wii Madden got PWNED!!!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Comments from NPD analyst, Anita Frazier, are below.

Overall

"August industry sales remain strong and realized a 9% gain over last August, although the month posted the first single-digit percentage growth in 27 months"

"Despite smaller growth this month, the industry is up 32% year-to-date and remains on target to achieve annual revenues in the range of $22 to $24 billion"

"Across hardware, software and accessories, products for the Wii platform contributed 28% of total industry dollar sales for the month of August"

Hardware

"The PSP and PS3 systems achieved the greatest percentage gain of all now-gen systems. The sales acceleration of these systems, combined with the recent Xbox 360 price cuts should fuel future growth of this category"

Software

"Madden NFL '09 was the top-selling game of the month, and launched with 2.3 million units out of retail doors in it's first month, besting last year's '08 title by 2%. Year after year, the industry can count on the Madden release to bring folks into stores during the relatively lazy days of late summer"

"Year-to-date, Grand Theft Auto IV remains the top-selling game at 4.8 million units sold in the U.S. through August"

"Wii Play continues its remarkable track record, achieving a 44% attach rate to new Wii hardware sales for the month. It has remained a top-10 game each month since it's February 2007 introduction"

Accessories

"Xobx Live point cards and gold membership cards represented three of the top-10 accessory items for the month which sheds a little light onto the popularity of this service to Xbox 360 fans"

I'm confused and speechless.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

ioi got Too Human perfect!

But Madden Wii is overtracked by 140 percent? WOW.

Edit - Madden 360 is good, as is madden PS3.

darthdevidem01 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!

lol only beat by 10K With the 20GB Cut aswell, Im Happy

Imagine the Sept meltdown. Cant wait.

Those Numbers ARE FAKE....I wish >_>

^_^

kowenicki said:
colonelstubbs said:
kowenicki said:
last month vgchartz was much higher on 360... will they be much lower this time just to even things up? my god i am so cynical!

Kowenicki cynical? No way!

but what if i am right.... and it is in reverse this month..???  the co-incidence wil be just too much.

Aw hell you were right!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot