By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

The new core demographic that will emerge is going to be one that puts the more advanced values of the Wii first (intuitive and natural controls in particular). They will be the crowd that demands more from their interfaces, and who won't put up with half-hearted button-mashers or overdone waggle-fests. This new core will prize games that put the most thought and effort into the controls. Also, I see a trend of favoring episodic gaming: games that don't require a huge investment of time, but can take a huge investment of time if you really want the full experience.

I don't think the pick-up-and-play value will carry over to the upmarket, however; that is a downmarket value, after all, and easily abandoned in favor of more complex experiences. Nor will the minigame collection be held in high esteem; minigames will once again return to diversions from the main focus, not the main focus itself.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
You say that as though there are no future Squaresofts, Konamis, Namcos, or Rockstars to emerge, yushire. Which isn't a very reasonable claim. The development costs for Wii games are very low, as they are for DS, and even lower for WiiWare. New developers are getting their name out there because of that, and we will inevitably see at least a few of these new developers turn into the megalith developers we come to expect from the industry.

The industry Reset button was hit. But like a video game, the game is still the same game as before. We're just playing it a different way this time.

So what do you think is the new Squeenix and Konami this time? For me its Marvelous Entertainment and High Voltage, they made good games for the Wii :D

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Sky Render said:
The new core demographic that will emerge is going to be one that puts the more advanced values of the Wii first (intuitive and natural controls in particular). They will be the crowd that demands more from their interfaces, and who won't put up with half-hearted button-mashers or overdone waggle-fests. This new core will prize games that put the most thought and effort into the controls. Also, I see a trend of favoring episodic gaming: games that don't require a huge investment of time, but can take a huge investment of time if you really want the full experience.

I don't think the pick-up-and-play value will carry over to the upmarket, however; that is a downmarket value, after all, and easily abandoned in favor of more complex experiences. Nor will the minigame collection be held in high esteem; minigames will once again return to diversions from the main focus, not the main focus itself.

So what new genre do u think can the Wii emerge? Cant think of anything...

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Holy crap my thread became a Maelstrom discussion?! LOL That's hilarious.

@yushire - Yeah, I'm with skyrender and vaio on this one. While I think Nintendo missed the mark somewhat with Wii Music they know what they are doing and that's taking the market back from the minority core gamers who always want more graphics, more violence, more complexity and bringing it back to the masses like in the days of pac-man and donkey kong.

@xen - I don't think core games are going anywhere. Companies like Epic and Rockstar make too much money on that market and won't leave it. They'll stick to what they know. And EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc will continue to support that market too. What will happen is a gradual increase in the overall size of the game market and more games will be made and sold than ever before.  Games for all tastes and type.

That video does in fact highlight the problem with the core demographic that's resisting the change. They only see the differences. That's a problem that needs addressing. The differences are not what matters; it's the similarities that count most. The PC gamers all got in a huff about how the NES games were all "simplified" because there were only 4 buttons to work with instead of 108 keys. They missed the point entirely, that fewer buttons made the games easier and more fun to play.

If you're still afraid of the Wii, I encourage you: stop looking at the differences. They don't matter, and they won't matter. It's the similarities you should focus on, and the bigger picture that it paints.

Around the Network

I honestly can't say for sure what new genres will emerge. I am sure that somebody will figure out something clever to do with the various Wii peripherals that nobody has thought of, and have a few ideas for that myself, but I don't have the budget or design team to make them real.

Though I can make a very basic prediction that spans all genres: more natural controls. That will be the biggest change we see across the board, just like the biggest change to all genres from PC to console was more streamlined controls.

@yushire

That’s one way to look at it.

Picture in picture is the trick here, firstly the point of indirect competition is to capture the Non-consumer and the point of direct competition is to capture the consumers with the highest demand. Both make sense the major issue is that you can use historical data to gain insight on what works and what doesn’t however so can your competition.

The fact that someone doesn’t spend money on Nintendo platform products means they are a none consumers, which means they are who Nintendo is gunning for, but for now they are focused on one group of non-consumers, I would take Sony roughly till 2012/13 to catch up to Nintendo as far as disrupting Nintendo goes on just R&D. It took Nintendo around 6 years to pull it off themselves actually. But the next non-consumer pool could either be reclaiming the lost demographics (old core) of this cycle or making the next console more accessible to perhaps people in the work force (similar to solitaire.) “DARN THOSE CASUAL WORKERS!” Games so simple you can play them while doing something else entirely and still have fun.

However there are different ways of delivering fun which most people can’t seem to articulate, and rpgs aren’t the same kind of fun as ridge racer, the developers of those genres have only themselves to blame not trends of consumers and consumers shouldn’t blame other consumers they should rightfully blame the developers for not constantly being fresh and unique with each idea for that genre. I did a post describing slightly the parts of a game and again I slightly described the difference between funcanality™ and functionality.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Gamerace said:

Holy crap my thread became a Maelstrom discussion?! LOL That's hilarious.

@yushire - Yeah, I'm with skyrender and vaio on this one. While I think Nintendo missed the mark somewhat with Wii Music they know what they are doing and that's taking the market back from the minority core gamers who always want more graphics, more violence, more complexity and bringing it back to the masses like in the days of pac-man and donkey kong.

@xen - I don't think core games are going anywhere. Companies like Epic and Rockstar make too much money on that market and won't leave it. They'll stick to what they know. And EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc will continue to support that market too. What will happen is a gradual increase in the overall size of the game market and more games will be made and sold than ever before.  Games for all tastes and type.

I think even MS knows whats happening also, thats why theyre doing casual games too. I think this is the last hurrah for EA, Ubi and Activision to make games for the PS3 and the 360. There are too many losses already and I mean billions of dollars losses already for 3rd parties to make games for these consoles. SONY already says they loss 6 billion dollars alone...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

@yushire - What about all these 'sport party' games? That's a new gender even if it classified as mini-game or sport game for simiplification. But there's a big difference between playing TigerWoods on a PC and on a Wii.

Point & Clicks are making a resurgence

rail shooters are also making a come-back

Zack & Wiki is unlike and other game I know, as is Boom Blox, or Dewy's Adventure or De Blob. But only time will tell what genres continue on past the Wii's lifespan

Gamerace said:
@yushire - What about all these 'sport party' games? That's a new gender even if it classified as mini-game or sport game for simiplification. But there's a big difference between playing TigerWoods on a PC and on a Wii.

Point & Clicks are making a resurgence

rail shooters are also making a come-back

Zack & Wiki is unlike and other game I know, as is Boom Blox, or Dewy's Adventure or De Blob. But only time will tell what genres continue on past the Wii's lifespan

Yeah, LOL never thought of that. What about Wii Ski and Family Trainer? its a new genre too right?

E3 2010- Tape runs out