By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Hypes January Sales

January 2007 was a record month for the PlayStation business with $550M in revenue for North America, this includes hardware and software for PS3, PS2 and PSP, as well as first and third party titles and peripherals. Although we still saw supply constraints at retail for PS3, we did sell a strong 243,554 according to NPD data. Tie ratios for PS3 have improved by 80% since launch and should continue to climb with the release of the much-anticipated MotorStorm from SCEA and Virtua Fighter 5 from Sega. PSP had a very good January, with hardware sales up 20% year over year, selling 210,719. PSP is closing the gap on the leading competitor, off just over 10% in total sales for the month. PSP software sales should see a boost as well this month, with the release of the critically-acclaimed Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. PS2 hardware sales stood at 299,352 with an impressive increase in software sales year over year of 20%. One of the biggest games for the PS2 will be released this March in the blockbuster God of War 2. On the marketing front, with supply levels stabilizing, February will see the first appearance of PS3 in weekly retailer advertisements. BestBuy featured its first ad for the system on February 18. Target is slated to feature PS3 in its February 25th ad. "We are pleased with the numbers from January as they demonstrate overall sales improvements for our legacy systems year over year and continued momentum for PS3. With supply levels stabilizing, you can expect to see increased marketing for PS3 and PS2 in weekly retail circulars, which should garner strong numbers, boosted by big software launches, such as MotorStormand Virtua Fighter 5. PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor. All of this led the PlayStation brand to the biggest January sales in the history of the company in North America."

Around the Network

"PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor." What the heck are they talking about? The leading competitor is the Nintendo DS and the numbers for January show that the DS sold more then the PSP. I hope this isn't sony's idea of quickly closing the gap on its competition...

Perhaps they meant the GBA, since it has the higher install base in North America?

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: Perhaps they meant the GBA, since it has the higher install base in North America?
That makes sense. When you guys read the news release did you think about the DS at the line like me or am I just being slow today?

euclid said: "PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor." What the heck are they talking about? The leading competitor is the Nintendo DS and the numbers for January show that the DS sold more then the PSP. I hope this isn't sony's idea of quickly closing the gap on its competition...
Are you serious? You don't no what closing a gap means? Ugh... Here I'll tell you what closing the gap means. DS usually sales close to 2 times the PSP now the PSP is only off by 10%. It most likely won't last but they are closing the gap well until the February numbers are out.

Around the Network

Jack said: euclid said: "PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor." What the heck are they talking about? The leading competitor is the Nintendo DS and the numbers for January show that the DS sold more then the PSP. I hope this isn't sony's idea of quickly closing the gap on its competition... Are you serious? You don't no what closing a gap means? Ugh... Here I'll tell you what closing the gap means. DS usually sales close to 2 times the PSP now the PSP is only off by 10%. It most likely won't last but they are closing the gap well until the February numbers are out.
I suppose we will have to disagree on what closing the gap means. When someone says (IMO) that they are closing the gap that means the gap is actually getting SMALLER. Since the DS sold more units then the PSP the gap did not get smaller, but larger.

It's hard to figure, but the DS Lite is pretty much sold out both here in the USA and Japan, so technically Sony can't accurately make that statement while the DS is in a "demand > supply" mode, because we don't know what the sales would have been if they had the supplies. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Euclid you don't know what youre talking about because the psp is only off by 10%,DS use to sell more than 2 times the psp,so of course it is closing the gap and big time.

Microsoft and Nintendo hyped their data too. If you look at it spin free though, you come to the following conclusions: DS vs. PSP - PSP sells well when it has great software, despite a high price for a portable - DS, despite hardware shortages and N64/DC like graphics sells because of the innovation it offers consistently and because of its price point. - With that said, North America is the weakest market for the DS, and perhaps the only one where PSP "could" end up ahead in total sales. If Sony actually realized this they would probably lower the PSP price. PS2 vs. GC vs Xbox - Xbox is dead, 360 owners don't seem to care about reverse compatibility - Game Cube is dead, but because of the new audience for the Wii, Gamecube software sales may stay at surprisingly high (compared to Xbox) levels well into 2007. Zelda helps too for GC owners who have since switched to 360 or PS3. GC will never sell 50k in N.A. again though. - PS2 is like a man with an incurable disease who refuses to let go before he spends his last moments living life to the fullest. With a couple high profile games, and PS3 playing PS2 games, PS2 software can do well for at least another year in a couple instances. Not surprising since NES, SNES, and PS1 software still sold fairly well in 1991, 1997 and 2000...Hardware sales drops below 100k by the middle of the year (April-August). Wii vs. 360 vs. PS3 - 360 has a pretty good line up this year for its demographic. But it also has a few titles to draw in new gamers. Oblivion, Gears, sports games, Live, Lost Planet will carry it into the holiday season with sales of like..200k (for February - which is the 4th to the 28, 3.5 weeks) to 400k (October). November, as Halo 3 hype builds, could be around 600k. December - 700k+. Add 20%/sales per month for a $50 price drop, another 100k to end of the year if MGS4 somehow is released for 360 by the end of the year. 360 - (.3 million avg x 9) + (.4)+(.6)+(.8) - 4.5 million sold in 2007 - PS3 has issues. I suspect things will pick up a bit with VF and Sony's new IP's, but unless a few games average around a 9.5+ on www.gamerankings.com, most people will avoid paying $600 (few are buying the 'cheap model'). GTA and Madden help, but 360 offers those as well as exclusives like Halo 3 and Gears of War which appeal to similar types of people. I also think MGS will come out in 2008, not 2007. Sony's new IPs are critical. I don't think many ordinary Americans would pay $600 for Blueray or to play PS2 games. I see sales of 150k-300k for most of the year (Jan-Sept) to 350k (October), 500k (November) and then 600k-800k in December. PS3 - (.25 million x 9) + (.35) + (.5)+(.7) - 3.8 million sold in 2007 - Wii has a potentially great line up. Q1 - Wario Ware, Wii Play, Sonic, SSX Blur, Mario Party 8. Q2 - Super Paper Mario, Mortal Kombat, Heat Seeker Q3 - Madden, Super Smash Brothers Brawl (guessing), Wii brainage/excercise/unique non-game-game, Disaster Q4 - DQ, Mario Galaxy, DDR, new ip These types of games would appeal to many. The price is cheap, and it will either be enough as a standalone console, or a supplemental console (2nd console). Sales were 435k in January. Supply is still constrained, so sales should be steady for awhile, but for the first 9 months I'd expect sales of 350k-550k. October 650k. November - 700k. December 800k-1.2 million. Wii - (.45 million x 9) + (.65) + (.7) + (1) - 6.4 million

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Nintendo DS 238,869 PlayStation Portable 210,719 I hope, xtx, that you understand that 238,869 > 210, 719. Since the DS has been ahead of the PSP in sales and from the data above we can conclude that the gap has gotten LARGER by 28,150. I understand that the PSP is only 10% behind the DS in terms of the January data, but the gap has still gotten larger (it just has not grown as much as it has in the past).