By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Main characters with mouths vs Main characters without.

Choice 1 - David Hayter

Around the Network
bbsin said:

2. Main characters that never speaks for themselves and lets the user talk for them.

Wander (SoTC), Ico,

This is wrong.

I don't mind mute characters, but I prefer the ones that talk.

Like in RPG, I absolutly HATE mute leads, RPGs are about telling a story, it doesn't feel right to have the main character silent, I have to agree with Montana with his example, You don't believe how mad I was when I found out that Felix(Golden Sun) was a mute character in the 2nd game WHEN HE WAS ABLE TO TALK IN THE FIRST! srsly OMG...>_>

^^^ This is what you get for blowing a rumor out of proportion

Chocobo brain damage!!! Here, drink this diet Coke..*runs*

Currently playing :

VC - Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DS - Glory of Heracels

bbsin said:

What do you guys prefer IF YOU ONLY HAD TO CHOOSE ONE.

1. Main characters that decides what they do for themselves and speak freely.

example: Kratos, Marcus Fenix, Master Chief, Cloud, Ratchet & Clank, Resident evil characters, Dante, Solid Snake, etc

vs

2. Main characters that never speaks for themselves and lets the user talk for them.

example: Link, Wander (SoTC), Ico, Diablo characters, Fallout guy/girl, Crono, Gordan Freeman, Pokemon trainer, etc

I'd go for chose 1. Characters that don't talk makes me feel like the game is unlively.

wander did speak, he asked the demon thing to revive the girl sadly not much but he did speak.

same as ico.

for me with voice, i know they are people and what they are feeling depending of what they say and how.

didnt nobody talk in ff7 in less your talking about cloud from advent childeren/ kingom hearts

Around the Network

without voice...like montana hatchet states

if done right (like in LoZ) you feel like you can relate to the character better through expressions and actions..instead of talk..talk is shit...actions are true power

just look at Manga: draw everything you can..and only the things you CANNOT express with your drawing..are put into words

it's like Manga vs Western Comics..

to me Manga wins..

so voiceless wins

I didn't mind mute characters once upon a time but the general justification of mute characters - that you can project your own personality onto the character - is rather silly.

For example, I find Link to be a rather boring character in most of his games (WW is perhaps an exception) due to his general lack of personality (overall though I enjoy the games).

Characters such as Snake and Master Chief (and anyone from recent Bioware games) really come alive as characters with depth, intelligence and motivations. Neither would be as iconic if they couldn't talk.

Of course some characters would be better if they didn't talk (Marcus Fenix - and well every other main character in that game).

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Jo21 said:
bbsin said:

What do you guys prefer IF YOU ONLY HAD TO CHOOSE ONE.

1. Main characters that decides what they do for themselves and speak freely.

example: Kratos, Marcus Fenix, Master Chief, Cloud, Ratchet & Clank, Resident evil characters, Dante, Solid Snake, etc

vs

example: Link, Wander (SoTC), Ico, Diablo characters, Fallout guy/girl, Crono, Gordan Freeman, Pokemon trainer, etc

I'd go for chose 1. Characters that don't talk makes me feel like the game is unlively.

wander did speak, he asked the demon thing to revive the girl sadly not much but he did speak.

same as ico.

for me with voice, i know they are people and what they are feeling depending of what they say and how.

Hmm, i don't remember that... was it after the main bad guy was freed?? I guess wander's lines must have been really limited, or maybe i forgot because you spend the majority of the game with only a horse.

The guy in my avatar never spoke a word. He's the protagonist of the best game ever. Therefore, silent. Though, in a lot of games speaker characters are a lot better

I liked it when Sonic didn't talk.