By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - It's over for the 360 if......

The new price cut can't raise sales over 170k permantly. I say this because aside from the hardware issues that are slowly but surley going, the 360 has a solid online and a good versatile games libary with a bit of everything and for $199 it is a steal.

If it cant, in my opinion that will be a double blow for MS and the 360 because

1) They can't expand their install base as much as they hoped.

2) They will suffer a significant loss in terms of $$$

So they will ultimatly fail in my opinion. Not to say it is a bad console, it is a good console, hell i thought bout getting one. But realisticly the PS3 is at $400 and it can sell in the 150-210k range easily and the Wii is at $250 and it can sell 270k + easily. So saying the 360 is at $199 and it can't sell 170k is an EPIC FAIL on MSOFT part.

If they can't, in my opinion they should give up on the whole Games Buisness because they are at $6 Billion loss and arn't making significant ground to warrent themselves a new console. I think they should stick to what they do best, software.

Around the Network

Actually they are making ground. But yes, I would prefer to see them quit.

I'd prefer Sony to quit before Microsoft...

At any rate, this price drop is make or break for the X360. If it doesn't increase American sales by a strong margin - both now and at Christmas, then we can safely assume the PS3, given another year or two, will pass the X360 in terms of LTD sales.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

It's too bad that Microsoft isn't in this to just make money, but to stop Sony from taking over the living room, which IMO they are doing a pretty good job.

I honestly think that Microsoft is willing to lose more money than that, especially if you start looking at the operating income of their other departments that depend on Windows.

^ I agree. Look what they've done already will two consoles. They've put Sony so deep in the hole (In terms of lost money), and have taken control of the HD market in the second largest market. I think that they're here to stay.

Around the Network

@largedarryl
You are so right! That's Microsoft's plan, and that's also really the reason you should NEVER, ever buy a Microsoft console. They want to make it another Windows-like monopoly.

@mrstickball
you have really strange opinions (or should I say "patriotic" American opinions), and they certainly are yours, but I cannot agree with you at all.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

boycop said:
@largedarryl
You are so right! That's Microsoft's plan, and that's also really the reason you should NEVER, ever buy a Microsoft console. They want to make it another Windows-like monopoly.

@mrstickball
you have really strange opinions (or should I say "patriotic" American opinions), and they certainly are yours, but I cannot agree with you at all.

You shouldn't be so blinded to Sony either.  Sony is attempting to take over your living room too.

It's already for the 360. Look at the Wii.

CGI-Quality said:
largedarryl said:

It's too bad that Microsoft isn't in this to just make money, but to stop Sony from taking over the living room, which IMO they are doing a pretty good job.

I honestly think that Microsoft is willing to lose more money than that, especially if you start looking at the operating income of their other departments that depend on Windows.

And that's sad considering Sony and Nintendo care about their customers while M$ is only concerned with beating Sony lol, which explains their hysterical 33% failure rate. They should focus on keeping the consumer happy rather than just trying to go after Sony which in turn they could still lose at. Sure they've put a dent in Sony's market but I'd rather have Sony and Nintendo make THEIR OWN products unlike M$ who just throws money at everyone.

Say what you will but with all the exclusive games, xbox live arcade that owns anything other competitors can offer and a great online I don't feel like MS is only going after Sony...but is indeed treating me...the consumer...right.

Mind you i've not had an RROD or dealt with microsoft customer service. However I certanly think MS treats the gamer better than lets say...Nintendo...which cares only about profits and couldn't be bothered to secure some exclusive games that aren't internally developed which Nintendo doesn't plan on developing. In the FPS market for example...

CGI-Quality said:
Cactus said:
^ I agree. Look what they've done already will two consoles. They've put Sony so deep in the hole (In terms of lost money), and have taken control of the HD market in the second largest market. I think that they're here to stay.

Actually Sony's early mistakes caused most of this and yes I would like to see M$ TAKE A HIKE and maybe Sega make a come back. At least Sega made THEIR OWN products.

Every time I see someone type "M$", this is what it reminds me of, and I laugh.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020722h.gif