By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic Getting More Interesting?

Onyxmeth you've sure had people on your back the last few days. =P

Well there's not much left to say here that we haven't covered yet.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
noname2200 said:
Onyxmeth said:
johnsobas said:
Onyxmeth said:
Grampy said:

I wasn't talking about now. I was specifically talking about the last year or even the last months before the good announcements came when people would use both arguments to suit their needs at the time. It was directed towards Grampy's comment that Metacritic has been unfair in the past with Wii games, which contradicts the other age old argument that the third party developers weren't trying.

Is there a contradiction? You're limiting your scope to third parties, while many of the people you're referring to had no such limits. Thus, many of those folks will point to titles like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and other first-and-second party games that are a huge hit with the masses, but which are outright ridiculed by the traditional gaming community.

I was limiting my scope because the topic itself is limited in scope. Grampy is specifically speaking on third party titles and to further limit the scope multiplatform third party titles. I actually am a stern defender of Wii Sports and do think it got shafted, same as Mario Kart Wii. Then again, I also think Kameo and Lost Odyssey got equally as shafted on the 360. These things happen on all consoles and they happen all the time, not just on the Wii.

However there have been the arguments in the past where third party multiplatforms on Wii got lower scores and people screamed bias. Then when it's convenient in another case, those same people will scream that these same developers put their time and effort into the HD consoles and not the Wii. My point was it doesn't work both ways. Games in the OP's example, like Madden, simply were better made games on the HD consoles in the past. This happens to be the first year EA gave their all to create a well made Wii Madden experience and the scores have changed accordingly with the added effort.

I understand your point more clearly, and I've never blaimed Metacritic since they merely gather reviews from others. Most of the games did suck because no effort was made, but the scores were made worse by critics that made it clear that they just didn't like the whole idea of motion control. As soon as I saw the words "be sure to use the classic controller" I quit reading because if I wanted to use a damned analog stick I wouldn't have bought a Wii.

What I am happy to see is SOME developers and SOME critics who are finally "getting it" that the Wii is a different beast and needs to be judged and written for as such.

That said, I do make exception for the critics at Game Informer who are simply shills for the company and seem to have abandoned all pretense at impartiality.