By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Obviously tons out there think the Wii will capture 50% market, meaning Sony and Microsoft will combine to total the sales of the Wii- that's asking a lot! I think it will do it, but I REALLY don't think it will finish at 50%, because Sony likes to keep thier systems alive WAY longer than Nintendo does. Microsoft seems to have really been slugging in sales, and we'll see what happens now that they have the cheapest system out there!

30-someting now, 40-something next decade!

Around the Network
pika62221 said:

Obviously tons out there think the Wii will capture 50% market, meaning Sony and Microsoft will combine to total the sales of the Wii- that's asking a lot! I think it will do it, but I REALLY don't think it will finish at 50%, because Sony likes to keep thier systems alive WAY longer than Nintendo does. Microsoft seems to have really been slugging in sales, and we'll see what happens now that they have the cheapest system out there!

I don't think its Sony or Nintendo who decide how long a console lives, but the decision of the consumers. Also just so you know Nintendo was selling snes' well into the 5th generation, and I think the same thing could be said for the NES as well. 50% seems like an easy goal for the Wii imo.

Are we back on the 10 years plan again?

pika62221 said:

They like to keep their system alive for a long time when it's a dominating console (like PS1 or PS2) but I doubt they will keep the PS3 alive until 2016 like they said. I think they will rather launch the PS4 sooner.

The Wii will probably get 50% by the end of the holidays.

It's not that big of a deal, though, since the market is devided into Wii/HD.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Iori Yagami said:
The Wii will probably get 50% by the end of the holidays.

It's not that big of a deal, though, since the market is devided into Wii/HD.

It will be a big deal when the Wii surpasses 50 % marketshare, because you'll see the PC added to every HD vs. Wii argument, i.e. "360/PS3/PC userbase is still bigger than Wii userbase".

So? All of the Wii vs HD arguments are pointless anyways unless we're talking games on them. It's not even a question what will outsell what at this point.

The reason why the PS1 and was available for several years (together with the PS2 that is still selling) is because those consoles were very succesful.

The N64 and Gamecube not so much, so Nintendo had to stop selling those systems.

But now is different. Just look how many years the Gameboy was available. Why? Because the Gameboy was in the same position as the PS1 and PS2, selling 120 million, from 1989 to 2001. Thats 12 years! WAY LONGER than Sony support to their consoles.

Now the Wii AND the DS are in the same position. When the Wii HD, or Wii 2.0 is available, Nintendo will still selling the Wii, lets say at $100 dlls.

Fernando said:

Now the Wii AND the DS are in the same position. When the Wii HD, or Wii 2.0 is available, Nintendo will still selling the Wii, lets say at $100 dlls.

Not really.

The Gameboy Advance was in a simular position, yet Nintendo killed it off to help keep up with demand for their more recent platforms. The Gameboy advance, although it didn't get much new software, still had life in it. It even managed to outsell the PS3 multiple times.

There's no reason to believe Nintendo won't do the same with Wii if their next console where to take off. I'd say it's likely that they will do the same.

Time for an economics lesson. I'll be brief about it.

The lifespan of a product depends on demand. Suppliers can only create so much demand through advertising and price adjustments. Ultimately, demand will hit a wall when the overall demographics a product can appeal to approaches saturation. So the main determinant of demand is appeal.

Few companies make products until they reach saturation. But when the cost of making the units is still less than what they make in selling them, most companies keep it up. When a product is in high demand, companies focus more resources into making that product. This makes production facilities more efficient at making them and allows them to require a smaller number of units sold per year to justify keeping the product in production. These factors combined are why the Atari 2600, NES, Game Boy, PlayStation, and PlayStation 2 all sold for as long as they did.

The reason why the GBA was cut short was due to impending competition from the PSP. Though the GBA would still have been easy enough to keep producing even as the DS and PSP took hold of the market, it made more economical sense to change GBA production facilities to DS production facilities. As the DS supports the GBA's most valued feature (playing GBA games), many would-be latecomer GBA customers would end up becoming DS customers anyway.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

How dare you, nintendo is god, there is no but or if.

Its FACT nintendo will aqcuire more than 90% of the market, look at the current sales, and its obvious the wii will pass the ps2 by twice as much.

Everyone wants the wii, there is no market saturation for the wii, even babies inside pregnant women want the wii.

Wii rules

- john lucas

My take on this thread, its going to fail like every other thread, that says something even close to being bad about the wii.

mM