By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Peak of the 360.

Yeah for sales I do think that the newest price drop catered to all the people who were on the fence about it (like me). Hardware wise anyway.

Software sales shall continue strong through 2009.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

not this year. if the 360 peaks it will be next year. my reasoning....well with the price cut and the highly anticipated games of fable 2 and gears 2 are going to keep the 360 flowing strong (not to mention if the rumors are true about the 12 new games coming). but the ps3 will most likely be still outselling the 360 by a small margin slowly catching up. so when sony announces its $100 (mid to late 2009) price cut that will put the nail in the coffin. so i expect the 360 to peak in 2009 after that its all down hill

mrstickball said:
Actually, by most of the posters at VGC, the Xbox 360 crested last year. This year is in recession, since there is no Halo, therefore it's already past it's prime.

I was going to type that.  I thought 360 blow its load with Halo 3 and 360 is dead since last September.

halogamer1989 said:
Halo 3PS, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, FFXIII, Gears 2, Gears 3, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty World at War, COD6 + Netflix, XBLA, XNA Community Games--I cannot stress this enough--and a whole lot more. I believe it will peak in 2010.

Halo Wars wont sell, it has two things going against it, one its an RTS on a console, and they dont sell well on consoles, second its based off a game that is popular because of its gameplay, as a FPS, which Halo Wars is not.

FFXIII is exclusive to Sony in Japan, where the FF series sells like nuts, and Sony's install base is basically identicle in Europe so sales should be split there, in America I think there are more people that bought PS3's in anticipation for FFXIII then most people give credit for. Of course they bought those PS3's before SE gave a port to the 360.

Gears 3 is rumored to not be published by MS and I would be utterly shocked if it doesnt go multiplat, especially if Epic goes through EA's partners program.

COD:WaW is Multiplat, so is COD5. (not 6, that hasnt been announced yet, though it would not be made by Infinityward, so I dont care either way)

XBL and PSN are virtually identicle now and PSN is free.

Alan Wake still doesnt have a release date and the last news out of the developer was "We hit some snags".

Halo's 3rd person shooter has a decent chance, but I still doubt it will pull alot of those FPS players from Halo 3.

Mass Effect 2 will be published by EA, and if the rumors are true Mass Effect will hit the PS3 next year and ME2 will be multiplat, but I dont know about those rumors.

You do have the XNA and Netflix thing right, good thing you have to pay for those on top of the XBLA charge.

Personally, I think either the 360 will barely break last years numbers, or fall short slightly, making last year the year it peaked.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

I see this year as a plateau.  Next year they won't be significantly higher or lower than this year, but after that they'll begin to fall off.  They have some great games coming, but so does the competition.

@Stickball - Even at that time, the lowest you really could have expected the Wii to have sold for the whole year was 14 million units.  How could you, with that knowledge, assume that it wouldn't even pass 35 million by this Christmas?  Virtually no y-o-y growth could be possible with that prediction of yours.  You couldn't possibly believe that the sales were going to remain level, could you?  That's a gross underestimation.

Really, your blatant biases show through.  Your predictions had little to do with what was plausible and a lot to do with how you wanted things to turn out.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

I predict Librarians are archiving quotes from this thread for crow one way or the other.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

|_emmiwinks said:
halogamer1989 said:
Halo 3PS, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, FFXIII, Gears 2, Gears 3, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty World at War, COD6 + Netflix, XBLA, XNA Community Games--I cannot stress this enough--and a whole lot more. I believe it will peak in 2010.

Halo Wars wont sell, it has two things going against it, one its an RTS on a console, and they dont sell well on consoles, second its based off a game that is popular because of its gameplay, as a FPS, which Halo Wars is not.

Say what?

Halo Wars will sell for the most part solely off of name, but the fact that Halo is known as a series with good controls and intriguing gameplay indicates that individuals who may not be interested in RTS normally may find something to like about this title.  I don't get how you think that simply because Halo is an FPS that somehow Halo Wars is diminished.  It's probably not going to be a massive blockbuster, but it will still sell pretty well.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

of topic..
but just wondering who is a sony or nintendo fanboy but has actually gained alot of respect for microsoft? i know i sure have, i own a ps3 but i must admit the xbox 360 is an amazing console. i hated the xbox 1

Respect for compans: SONY > NINTENDO >>>>>>>>>> MICROSOFT

SmokedHostage said:

I'm starting to feel that the 360 will peak this year.  After all it's going to be a 3 years old console.  I don't get me wrong, I love that it's giving Sony a ride for its money but think it will be overshadowed by the PS3 in coming years.  It does have alot of potential console sellers but.. I don't know I just have a strange feeling.

Anyone else think the 360 is going to peak this year?

No, the introduction of the new avatars/dashboard system + new price cut + video distribution are a (risky) but interesting bet. Like said in your post, it is only your feeling :)

Now, my feeling is that MS has gathered enough money with XBLA and are wishing to take another direction/speed up the strategy of internet media/gaming distribution...

What has PS3 aside blueray again (sigh) ? This is still an older business model, and even if it succeed better than MS, it won't be by a lot.

So stop fanboying guys, I don't """""feeel"""" that SONY will achieve the so called DOMINATION (re-sigh) everybody is expecting for years (re re SIGH).

Lets see first what can Killzone 2 and the other coming titles came make. Because so far, even if the installe base is cathing up thanks to the BR, we still ahev to see the total numbers of games sold significantly increasing ...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

2008 will be the next great year for the best console in history.