By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA- The most overrated game of any gen?

colonelstubbs said:
d21lewis said:
Sometimes, I think the industry journalists get together and give certain "important" games unanimously high scores, whether they deserve them or not.

SSX, Rouge Leader, Halo, Call of Duty 2, Resistance, and GTA 4 all come to mind.

Rogue Leader deserved it. That was a classy game!

Rogue Leader definitly deserved it's high praise--it didn't get 99's or anything like that, but it got high praise that was accurate.  Rebel Strike also deserved the negatives that it received.

Around the Network

wow ahh 57% compared to other games there are barley any better so i dont see how it gets a 57%

disolitude said:
tuoyo said:
Why do people love Halo? I found it to be such a tedius experience. The weapons were all rather dull, the stages were as big as you can imagine with massive rooms and environment but each one in each stage was virtually the same as the other and the enemies were the same throughout and all as boring as could be. Halo was for me the classic example of what a FPS should not be like. It was incredibly dull and repetitive. I presume all the hype of Halo is because of the online death matches because it surely can't be over the dull, tedious campaign mode.

I guess you just don't get it and thats fine...

But I'm telling you now Halo 1 was one of the most important games of last gen. At the time there wasn't anything available on any platform (including PC - well maybe half life) that offered such an amazing experince in the FPS realm. Hence why Halo 1 won as many game of the year awards.

Halo 2 made lots of improvements on the formula. Co-op campaign was amazing, Xbox live launched so online play was a breeze...stat tracking. Again, I can't think of anything at the time that offered the complete package of Halo 2.

Halo 3 was refinment of the formula. The campaign was cool but mostly lifted from halo 1 and 2. The only cool adition is 4 player split screen campaign mode. The multiplayer is where this game shines. theater mode and making your own clips of the kills is the best addition to an FPS this gen. You will say to friends..."yeah I totally killed 30 guys this one match..." and they will call you a liar and then BAM...you show them the clip, edited the way you'd like it to be. The multiplayer maps in halo 3 are superior to any maps I've seen before...in a sense they require strategy depending on what game you play. Even COD4 can't match the carnige that some maps of halo 3 offer.

I'm noticing a trend that a lot of Wii owners just don't get halo and are asking "why is this fun?". Wonder why that is?

I'm a Wii owner and I liked Halo.  Halo really shined as a multiplayer affair, though I do get some of the complaints about it.  I played it, like a lot of gamers, around the same time as I played Metroid Prime 1 the first time.  I found Halo's environments to be huge, the battles to be intense, and the multiplayer to be fun.  However, I also found many of the environments (especially interior) to be surprisingly bland with flat (both physically and in color), often boring design.  Metroid Prime, on the other hand was awash with vibrant colors and nary a flat wall, floor, ceiling, or otherwise in the game.  Simply put, Metroid Prime, in many ways simply felt alive compared to Halo which at times felt very sterile.  It was almost too much of a shooter for it's own good. 

For Halo 1, I particularly liked the 2-player co-op campaign, which was a lot of fun.

Halo 2 had much better looking environments and multiplayer, I thought.  Halo 3, I felt was very pretty, but pretty soon I didn't care so much about the graphics as the gameplay itself was, unfortunately, exactly the same as the previous titles.  It was great because it was easier to pick up and play, but it felt like the only advancement was the graphics. 

The big difference is, I feel that players play Halo for shooter action, multiplayer mayhem and fun, while players play Metroid Prime for mood, atmosphere, story and exploration.  I think that it's the gamers that enjoy both is a smaller cross-section than the those that prefer one or the other.  This could be why a lot of Nintendo gamers maybe "don't get" Halo.  It's fun while it lasts, but feels somewhat shallow.  I know that when I played, I hardly even cared for the story--especially in part 3 and that's where Halo got hurt--I think it tried to focus on story and didn't bother to really evolve the control or gameplay.  And how many people are playing Halo for the story?

The Metroid Prime that focused on multiplayer is also the one that seems to have left a sour taste in fan's mouths, so to speak.  Granted, it didn't make multiplayer a heavy focus, but I still felt it was an unneeded addition that took away development from the core game.

Just a thought.

This review is ridiculous.

You say "It's not perfect like critics say, but it's not bad" and give a damn 7?

GTA IV is awesome, not perfect, but awesome. I had lots of fun playing it and still jump by now and then

I give it a 90%

Now why don't you review MGS 4 and say how the graphics weren't perfect so it deserve a 6.5?

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Most definitely agree!

I drink your milkshake.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
I'm sorry but that title goes to Halo without any doubt. Though GTA is pretty overrated.

this ^^^

we can all agree that the most overrated game of all time on any gen was and still is Halo 3.
Halo 3 was a game with quality comparable to Halo 2, Microsoft called it the biggest media event of the centurary. not only that but tv ads started a year before its release.
the only difference between Halo 3 and Halo 2 are the graphics and the online play which isnt that good either.
Microsft even decided to scam the consumers by selling an over priced limited edition halo console without the game packaged in and they even have the guts to call the ps3 overpriced, where as sony did package mgs4 with their ps3, obviously at a highrùer price otherwise konami would loose out.

PS3 Trophies

DS: 120,000,000; Wii: 60,000,000; Xbox 360: 38,000,000; PlayStation 3: 34,000,000; PlayStation Portable: 60,000,000

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Haze is the most overrated game - GamePro gave it a 4.5/5.

Fei-Hung said:

Soon we will be getting Saintrow 2 on our consoles, a game which is shaping up to be better in every aspect compared to GTAVI and it will be interesting to see how the critics review it.

ahahahahahah...no.

actually I thought it was Halo 3...