By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - No price drop? Does Microsoft think Sony is a joke?

z64dan said:
Dropping the price in july is usually unheard-of. Gamecube dropped by $50 in may 2001, if that gives you any idea. Microsoft is probably just waiting for october or november to slash the price - and put Sony into a corner again (most console sales happen in the holidays).

Historically price drops have been in May (ps2 & Xbox cut in May 2001 too), but that was likely to capitalise on E3, which in now in July.

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
A price drop would work for the 360, but they honestly don't need it. They don't need to compete with Sony because there is honestly nothing for them to compete with at this point in time. They're still selling better thant he PS3 and showing no lag in sales, and until due time have no reason to make fans think they need to dance to Sony's tune (i.e. they need to counter everything Sony does or they can't survive).

One could argue the price cut would be a surprise before the Halo3 release to make the phenomenon even more magnificent.

MS needs to do to Sony what Sony did to Sega - namely kill them before they get a chance to get off the ground. This year Sony may not seem to present much of a threat (I would disagree, but that's another debate), but there is little question that next year Sony will be in a much stronger position to challenge the 360. Thus it behooves MS to go Tonya Harding on Sony's knees before things ever get to that point.

That said, I don't think they have to respond RIGHT NOW because Sony is already catching shit for its maybe-its-a-price-drop-maybe-its-not tactic getting spilled to the public, and because, price cut aside, there is nothing new that might sway a consumer to the console. However, if they wait just a few weeks they will be able to better assess the effectiveness of Sony's cut, and time a price cut with the release of Halo3, providing a strong 1-2 marketing punch, which can be followed up by a flurry of top notch game releases.

IMHO, M$ is timing the price cut perfectly. Let the PS3 sell a few more consoles ... M$ is still selling them too - and lower it when Halo 3 drops - because the P$3 price cut is temporary anyhow.

Sony has shown the world how jacked up their strategy is. The CEO of Sony made that claim - I'll pay anyone a thousand bucks and change if you can find a PS3 on the shelves ... and I am still waiting for that payment!

Face it - Sony fanboys believe Sony's word - but - the execs are so out of touch. For me, as a small biz owner, I am about one thing - making money. I could care less if I don't think the product I am selling is crap - it produces the necessary green. Seriously, I am not gonna bet the farm on a poc that isn't selling.

Sony really needs to come down from their ivory tower and talk to fans. Open a site and beg for feedback.

I used to enjoy watching the Wii and 360 whip up on the PS3 - now, it's just plain sad. How the mighty have fallen. Sony's in a very, very deep hole that offer little hope. And the games coming out? I really, really doubt any of them will move a whole lot of systems. They need a permanent price cut to $399 - a boatload of exclusive games folks who own a 360 will want - and to drop the arrogance, admit they are in trouble - and regroup.