By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...do you prefer turn based battles or real time?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
deathcape said:
LOL Tales of series pwens all JRPGs in gameplay..

I agree. Some action jrpgs are very deep, and aren't button mashing. That is a common misconception. However, I respect people who have opinions the other way. Still, I'm fairly confident in my assertion that most people's opinions are biased due to lack of experience with both sides of the coin.

yeah I agree >_> I've played my share of Turn-based menu (FFI-III,Pokemon), Turn-based action (Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi), Real-time menus (FFIV, started FFV, FFX-2, FFX, FFVII), and Real-time action (any MMO, Tales, KH)

and I have to say...the only one I dislike to play..and frustrates me.. is Real-time with menus..

don't get me wrong..the games had good stories (exclude FFX-2 please) and had awesome skills...but I felt like most of the thinking was removed, because the monsters attacked while I was planning..and ended up killing me >_>

for me the others are the best with Real-time Action first, then Turn-based Menu and lastly Turn-based action RPGs in their repective order

Around the Network

turn based

turnbased makes for more epic boss battles

ZenfoldorVGI said:
deathcape said:

I agree. Some action jrpgs are very deep, and aren't button mashing. That is a common misconception. However, I respect people who have opinions the other way. Still, I'm fairly confident in my assertion that most people's opinions are biased due to lack of experience with both sides of the coin.

Would you consider Eternal Sonata's combat system good?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Cactus said:
Iori Yagami said:
Cactus said:
FFXII is the worst example to use when you say that real time rpg's suck. As Cougarman pointed out, it was turn based at it's core.

I play both, so I'm not saying the action-based one's suck. It's just that turn-based usually works better for JRPG's, because the combat system is usually repitive and shallow when thy try to do an action-based. A good JRPG that isn't turn-based is rare. Only one's I can think of are Rouge Galaxy... and that's about it.

No, I agree with you about TB> realtime, I was just poining out that Final Fantasy XII isn't really realtime. If it were realtime, there would be no waiting in between attacks.

That's not actually true in every case. Almost all action rpgs have what's known as a Cooldown between moves. For instance, in Gears of War, if you could whack off 5 melee attacks in one second, melee would be overpowered. So you have to wait a certain amount of time.

World of Warcraft also has global cooldowns after most spells or abilities.

Tales, for instance, you have pauses during combos after every 3rd or 4th attack. Otherwise, you could keep somebody stunlocked indefinitely.

So yes, in FFXII, there is a semblance of the ATB system, which has its roots in turn based gameplay, however every action game has to keep its most powerful moves from being spammed without interruption, and therefore cooldowns are employed, which shouldn't be confused, but can often be represented as cooldown bars that scroll across the screen.

Spells having cooldowns and a game being turnbased are two entirely different things.

Yeah, I shouldn't have been so vague, but I'm guessing that we both agree tht FF12 is turn based?

Around the Network

Iori..HELL YES

I looked it up..and I really wanted Eternal Sonata..the story..the battles..

it was really interesting..too bad I have no 360 >_>

also...I wish more JRPGs had multiplayer co-op..

like Tales? XD

deathcape said:
Iori..HELL YES

I looked it up..and I really wanted Eternal Sonata..the story..the battles..

it was really interesting..too bad I have no 360 >_>

also...I wish more JRPGs had multiplayer co-op..

like Tales? XD

See, Eternal Sonata, to me, is just playable. It was intresting at first, but it got old really fast. I don't really like just pressing buttons like that.

hmm I don't know..because I haven't played it...but it sure looks nice ^^''

how would it be repetitive?

hmm...maybe battles get a slight bit repetitive in real time action RPGs..

but never too much..except for KH imo..at least..KH2 anyway

Iori Yagami said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
deathcape said:

Would you consider Eternal Sonata's combat system good?

Nah. I really didn't like that game. Very shallow.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Real Time if they do it right, a Chaos Legion/Kingdom Hearts Hybrid would be awesome, aswell as a spice of Devil may Cry..... omg....