By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many of you are dissapointed by Nintendo?

I am disappointed with Nintendo as a hardware company, because they delivered an actually fairly crappy piece of hardware with a lot of downsides compared to the other consoles.

However, I am still satisfied with Nintendo as a game developer, since they remain overall the best developer in the world and have more than lived up to this reputation with their Wii games.

But I do believe that it's fair to say that the Wii sucks (in my opinion of course) even though I LOVE its games.

I drink your milkshake.

Around the Network

Not me.

sony fanboys are cause the ps3 got its ass kicked by the wii!!!!!!!

Am I disappointed with Nintendo overall? No, definitely not.

Am I disappointed about how Nintendo is performing right now? Yes!

Why? I think Nintendo could do so much better and is able to deliver way better hardware and peripherals then they are right now. For example; The lack of memory, while offering VC-games and promising other downloadable content from the start... That's just a plain error in thinking ahead. And furthermore; They could have offered some better specs for 250 euro's. Not that I care that much about the graphics. I think last-gen was looking fine on that front if done correctly. However, considering the price (as in value of the object vs pricepoint) they could have upped the ante a little.

Also, I think it's great that Wii is selling great thanks to the Casuallzzz... But Nintendo cannot lose focus on the ones that kept them in this business for the last two generations. I really don't give a fuck about Captain Rainbow, Wii play, Wii Sports Resorts, DogZZZ, Game Party and Fuckin My HorseZ and Me. When looking back at it, Nintendo was at their best with creating original, but still hardcore games during 2003-2005 in the Gamecube-days.

Metroid Prime is awesome, Zelda The Windwaker is Awesome, Eternal Darkness is awesome, Pikmin is awesome, Sunshine is, in my opinion, awesome, Paper mario 2 is awesome and lots more games back then kick-ass too! Not that Nintendo is performing badly right now... You still have your Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Super Smash Bros on Wii... But there´s just a lack of those titles coming out Right Now and a lack of original titles like Eternal Darkness or Geist or fuckin Baten Kaitos for that matter... And that´s because they are too busy making Casualzzz titles... I still love my Wii and Nintendo... But another part of it I dislike, kind-of. And that hasn't always been that way.

THE NETHERLANDS

i cant belive people still go on about go about nintendo focusing on casual. we have ONE casual title from nintendo this year. im not sure about wii music, it certainly looks bad and shovelwarey but then again i though the same about wii fit and that turned out decent. for me waio, animal crossing and diaster are fine considering this is just first party. the toruble was E3. they showed animal crossing and wii music so everyone panics (even though animal crossing is a quality series and not casual). wario is a 2D platformer, obviously aimed at core fans. disaster is a promising new IP but people still comaplin about lack of original titles. amazing

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

Not me. I'm happy with all the games that are coming out.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

16-bit gamer said:

How many of you are dissapointed by Nintendo?

not me

Nintendo's first party games have been great! i'm satsified with the amount of games them and third party games are producing. I don't understand why so many people think the Wii suck cause it has enough hardcore games to keep me satisfied.

I'm not satisfied with the amount of first party titles Nintendo is releasing this fall. Am I dissapointed in Nintendo for not releasing Pikmin3/Donkey Kong or maybe Zelda and Mario titles, a little but I understand why they are holding back. Nintendo is banking titles to release when the Wii needs saving. Right now the Wii sales are amazing Nintendo can't keep the machine in stock so why waste your AAA+ games during some of the biggest success they've had in a decade.

Nintendo also is holding back to give third parties an easy victory over Nintendo's usually dominant first party games. Games like The Conduit are going to sell succesfully because the hardcore gamers don't have the newest Metroid Prime or Zelda game to keep their pockets dry.

How many hardcore games is enough for a console?

I'd like to say you can never have enough hardcore games but their comes a time when the hardcore gamers just can't buy all of the solid games. For me I demand about 12 hardcore or at least Nintendo franchise oriented titles to keep me satisfied. This year their just isn't enough Nintendo franchise based hardcore games.

That being said I am buying HarvestMoon for my September month game, Animal Crossing for my November and The Conduit for December (Assuming it comes this fall)

So yes I'm dissapointed their is only one Nintendo franchise mainstream title coming out. But this gives third parties free reign and a chance to break into the shovel wear infested Wii marketspace!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

StarcraftManiac said:

Am I disappointed with Nintendo overall? No, definitely not.

Am I disappointed about how Nintendo is performing right now? Yes!

Why? I think Nintendo could do so much better and is able to deliver way better hardware and peripherals then they are right now. For example; The lack of memory, while offering VC-games and promising other downloadable content from the start... That's just a plain error in thinking ahead. And furthermore; They could have offered some better specs for 250 euro's. Not that I care that much about the graphics. I think last-gen was looking fine on that front if done correctly. However, considering the price (as in value of the object vs pricepoint) they could have upped the ante a little.

Also, I think it's great that Wii is selling great thanks to the Casuallzzz... But Nintendo cannot lose focus on the ones that kept them in this business for the last two generations. I really don't give a fuck about Captain Rainbow, Wii play, Wii Sports Resorts, DogZZZ, Game Party and Fuckin My HorseZ and Me. When looking back at it, Nintendo was at their best with creating original, but still hardcore games during 2003-2005 in the Gamecube-days.

Metroid Prime is awesome, Zelda The Windwaker is Awesome, Eternal Darkness is awesome, Pikmin is awesome, Sunshine is, in my opinion, awesome, Paper mario 2 is awesome and lots more games back then kick-ass too! Not that Nintendo is performing badly right now... You still have your Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Super Smash Bros on Wii... But there´s just a lack of those titles coming out Right Now and a lack of original titles like Eternal Darkness or Geist or fuckin Baten Kaitos for that matter... And that´s because they are too busy making Casualzzz titles... I still love my Wii and Nintendo... But another part of it I dislike, kind-of. And that hasn't always been that way.

I agree specifically with GameCube being Nintendo's hieght to be honest other then Super Nintendo the GameCube saw more origional looking software then ever before in Nintendo history. Even the NES didn't see that much origionality in games. Mario on NES was like Mario on 64 except for 3D being added. Zelda was an amazing game from NES to 64 but Nintendo came out with WindWaker and blew us all away with origional gameplay that kicked serious but. Then theirs Pikmin and all the other great games Nintendo made for Wii.

I got used to buying one first party high quality Nintendo game each month on my GameCube. Almost every month without fail their was a great new game to buy. When new games stopped (During summer) Nintendo had always provided to many to keep up buying them all so I would buy one I missed during those months.

I want Nintendo to go back to creating one or two solid first party titles a month. No not filler like Mario Baseball I'm talking BattalionWars,Pikmin, Geist , Eternal Darkness, Donkey Kong, StarFox, Mario , Zelda or one of the dozens of other great games Nintendo has to offer. Even new franchises would be great to see. Just not months where Nintendo has no first party title coming out!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I must say that lots of people on this thread are misrepresenting why people are disappointed with the Wii and then attacking this misrepresentation.

Third parties are also not to be blamed. Nintendo hasn't really taken advantage of the Wii Mote and other companies have done more in this department but met with financial failure as a result.

What people are disappointed with is not the graphics of the Wii alone. They are disappointed by games that have no real strengths over the competitions.

The issue is that the Wii is taking the PSP approach to gaming and not the DS approach. DS made unique games that utilized its abilities well while PSP was just a watered down console and getting inferior console ports or equivalents as a result.

Yes Mario Galaxy was fun. The Wii Mote contributed very little to this. Shooting stars was actually something I wish they didn't add too. Mario Galaxy would have been more fun if it was on another console with even more fluid animations and larger environments as well as more details.

Zelda - This is clearly a game with cinematic potential. The Wii Motes waggle did not help make Zelda a more immersive experience. What would have made it better was better graphics, more detailed environments, more objects to interact with, better animations, more control over the character and all the benefits of more processing power

MP3 - Same story. MP3 has a beautiful setting that is marred by bad graphics and very sparse amounts of details. The puzzles became somewhat predictable and the shooting mechanics were OK for a Wii game but not for the other consoles. MP3's autolock feature was fun but many other games have this as well. The Wii mote really did not contribute to the gameplay so much. Better processing power could have brought more to the series than just:

-A twisting lock mini-game
-Pulling back on bricks
-Auto-aim system

MKWii - Aside from Wheelies and tricks... what does the Wii Mote serve? Yes it can be used as a steering wheel but its not all that great and you are artificially encouraged to use it by being award with a wheel. This will never come close to a force feedback wheel. Again, this game could have been much more beautiful and had more content from better processing abilities.

SSBB - Still using the standard controller. There is absolutely no reason why this game just wouldn't be flat out better on other consoles.

And here is the problem. If you want to claim that graphics isn't important and that innovation and gameplay is, what is the major innovations that you have brought compared to other consoles?

Wii Play is not inherently more innovative than MGS4 because it uses motion controls.

Mario Galaxies gravity and use of the Wii mote is not more innovative to me than Portal, which uses physics and very unique presentation to bring about new gameplay.

MP3 is not more innovative to me than Gears which brought a very functional and standardized cover system that has basically revolutionized the TPS genre.

Mario Kart Wii is not nearly as innovative to me compared to games such as Forza which pushes more physics than prior gens, or Burnout, with its fairly revolutionary online interface.

Basically all these games haven't really been all that innovative and would have probably been better on other systems.

What is the great innovations that the Wii mote has brought so far? Some argue that there is good third party games that uses good use of the Wii Mote.

Yes this is very true and I think the best games I played for the Wii that actually stood out from other consoles would have to be:

A marble game(I only have a Japanese Wii so I don't know what this game is called but its a marble game and it uses the controller REALLY good)
Boom Blox
Zak and Wiki (man this is old school)
Elebits
RE:UC

These games did very well in utilizing the Wii for what it is. But aside from RE (which is a long established franchise with movies and a big name behind it), all others have fallen flat on its face.

The Wii toutes innovation and gameplay but proves to have neither of them over the competition. There is the argument that small developers will make good games (often referred to as hidden gems) for the Wii because its cheap to develop for but we could count those "hidden gems" on two hands. We can also count just as much games off of XBLA or PSN and probably more.

The only kind of small developers that its attracting, is the bad kind for the most part.

Games like Highschool musical(68%) Game Party(20%), Carnival Games(58%), Mario and Sonic (67%) and Wii Play(61%) to name a few, overshadow many good third party games on the console.

This is in contrast to the 360 which has 10 games rated above 90%+ in its top 16 best sellers. Out of the 360's million + sellers, there is also only like 2-3 games that have high 70's and nothing that goes lower. Most games are in the 80s and 90s and this is why the 360 is getting plenty of [quality] third party support as opposed to the Wii.

People just too often use numbers to back up the Wii without understanding them.

What does this say to third party devs? That Wii gamers are uneducated consumers and that investing effort into making a quality Wii game isn't just gonna make you money because of a high install base. In fact, the sea of bad games is more likely to drown out your game from being noticed and will never sell as well as something made by Nintendo(regardless of quality) or something with Mario in the name.

The lack of quality control, direction, vision and support is what I am disappointed with as far as the Wii goes. There is no doubt that the Wii is a financial success. But this in no way makes it a good console. At the rate its going, its certainly gonna be the best selling console ever but probably won't even make it into the top 20 countdown of good consoles.

The DS is still the best thing about this generation though so I cannot say that Nintendo as a whole, disappoints me. Just the Wii in particular. My favorite consoles were the SNES, NES and N64 (I fell for the PS2 over the NGC :P)so I don't hate on Nintendo and there franchises use to be all triple A stuff(to me). But what they have been doing in the console department has been highly disappointing to say the least.

Well sorry about the long rant. I use to lurk and recently decided to put my 2 cents in. I apologize if I offended anyone and a lot of this is just my opinion on the situation.

PipBoy2000 said:

I must say that lots of people on this thread are misrepresenting why people are disappointed with the Wii and then attacking this misrepresentation.

Third parties are also not to be blamed. Nintendo hasn't really taken advantage of the Wii Mote and other companies have done more in this department but met with financial failure as a result.

I disagree, here. Most publishers  didn't bother to develop seriously for the Wii until the Wii success exploded.

What people are disappointed with is not the graphics of the Wii alone. They are disappointed by games that have no real strengths over the competitions.

Strange i despise playing Fisrt Person Shooter with dual stick control scheme on console pad while I'm enjoying the nunchuck + wiimote setup. BTW seems alot consumers see some strenght on Wii software. Sales doesn't lie ( I mean software sales ).

The issue is that the Wii is taking the PSP approach to gaming and not the DS approach. DS made unique games that utilized its abilities well while PSP was just a watered down console and getting inferior console ports or equivalents as a result.

Roll eyes.

Yes Mario Galaxy was fun. The Wii Mote contributed very little to this. Shooting stars was actually something I wish they didn't add too. Mario Galaxy would have been more fun if it was on another console with even more fluid animations and larger environments as well as more details.

The implementation of the control scheme in Galaxy is simply brilliant. The prove is that many dosn't feel it because it was implemented very cleverly.

Zelda - This is clearly a game with cinematic potential. The Wii Motes waggle did not help make Zelda a more immersive experience. What would have made it better was better graphics, more detailed environments, more objects to interact with, better animations, more control over the character and all the benefits of more processing power

Uh I thought that in mid 2008 everyone know that TP on Wii is a Gamecube porting.

MP3 - Same story. MP3 has a beautiful setting that is marred by bad graphics and very sparse amounts of details. The puzzles became somewhat predictable and the shooting mechanics were OK for a Wii game but not for the other consoles. MP3's autolock feature was fun but many other games have this as well. The Wii mote really did not contribute to the gameplay so much. Better processing power could have brought more to the series than just:

-A twisting lock mini-game
-Pulling back on bricks
-Auto-aim system

Well I found MP3 control scheme one of the best . The wiimote did not contribute to the gameplay so much ? What have you played  ?

MKWii - Aside from Wheelies and tricks... what does the Wii Mote serve? Yes it can be used as a steering wheel but its not all that great and you are artificially encouraged to use it by being award with a wheel. This will never come close to a force feedback wheel. Again, this game could have been much more beautiful and had more content from better processing abilities.

Yeah Wiimote serves only for steer. Surely an optional function in a racing game. Ironically MK ( like many Nintendo franchise ) has hit an evolution stall. More power isn't the answer. Relearn a control scheme in the other hand is an interesting approach for the seasoned MK players ( ask Rol ). 

SSBB - Still using the standard controller. There is absolutely no reason why this game just wouldn't be flat out better on other consoles.

True. Like with the DS it isn't necessary use all the different functions provided by the hardware if it isn't really needed. A fine DS example is Mrio Kart DS.

And here is the problem. If you want to claim that graphics isn't important and that innovation and gameplay is, what is the major innovations that you have brought compared to other consoles?

No, I claim that Wiimote is useful for the lower tiers because it is generall more accessible than classic control pad. While is appreciated by coregamers that felt getting bored the last generation ( Drift gamers, I'm one of them) 

Wii Play is not inherently more innovative than MGS4 because it uses motion controls.

WiiPlay aim is to be  a tutorial software for brandnew users.

Mario Galaxies gravity and use of the Wii mote is not more innovative to me than Portal, which uses physics and very unique presentation to bring about new gameplay.

MP3 is not more innovative to me than Gears which brought a very functional and standardized cover system that has basically revolutionized the TPS genre.

Mario Kart Wii is not nearly as innovative to me compared to games such as Forza which pushes more physics than prior gens, or Burnout, with its fairly revolutionary online interface.

Basically all these games haven't really been all that innovative and would have probably been better on other systems.

I think those games are simply fun. Sales don't lie.

What is the great innovations that the Wii mote has brought so far? Some argue that there is good third party games that uses good use of the Wii Mote.

Yes this is very true and I think the best games I played for the Wii that actually stood out from other consoles would have to be:

A marble game(I only have a Japanese Wii so I don't know what this game is called but its a marble game and it uses the controller REALLY good)
Boom Blox
Zak and Wiki (man this is old school)
Elebits
RE:UC

These games did very well in utilizing the Wii for what it is. But aside from RE (which is a long established franchise with movies and a big name behind it), all others have fallen flat on its face.

Kororinpa did so bad that we get Kororinpa 2 in a few months. EA said it was pleased by Boom Blox sales. Zak & Wiki is a niche game unfortunatly ( and share with Boom Blox a wrong target demographic mentality IMO ). We'll see again the elebits run on Wii. RE UC is an outsourced game made by Cavia ( a third string developer ). Only now we start see a true effort by third-party on Wii.

Now I stop I need to go, maybe later I'll continue.

Bolded.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.