By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who think's the xbox 360 will outsell the PS3 for the holiday season?

I think we will know in the next month after seeing how effective the NA price cut is.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

The price cut will have a huge effect on NA holiday sales, enough to compensate for Europe/Japan.

So yes, it will.

Way to many people seem to think that the 360 will clearly beat the PS3 in NA this holiday based entirely on the fact that it's recieving a price cut in September.

What these people seem not to realize is that this upcoming Christmas is going to be, by far, the largest HDTV/blu-ray EVER. It will be the first holiday season since blu-ray won the HD format war against HD-DVD and the rate of HDTV adoption has been steadily increasing for years. With the PS3 being among the cheapest blu-ray players on the market and the most future-proof of all players, the PS3's sales as a blu-ray player will likely more than compensate for the 360's lower price all on its own in November and December. That is, if the 360's sales boost even lasts that long.

I don't know and it doesn't even matter. PS3 or 360 can sale 10m units this holiday and it won't mean a thing. It won't stop MS from buying support or their software sales, it won't stop Nintendo from doing amazing... This generation is over. What you see from the 3 consoles right now is all you are gonna ever get.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

50/50 on this one to be honest. The PS3 is currently has much more momentum but the X360 has a very significant price-cut coming up in NA and possibly has a stronger line-up for the holidays.

Around the Network

I think the 360 will outsell the ps3 in NA because of the line up and the fact that multiplattform games sell better on the 360.

The 360 got 5 big exclusives this holiday season:

Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Viva Pinata 2 (got good review scores)
Left 4 Dead

And then we've got the multiplattform games:

Far Cry 2
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Project Origin
James Bond: QoS
Call of Duty: World at War
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Tomb Raider Underworld
Prince of Persia
Mirror's Edge
Need for Speed: Undercover

And i think at least 90% of those games will sell much better on the 360. If someone just want those games and is not interested in exclusives, which console will he buy? 360 for $199 or PS3 for $399. So i think thats also a big factor.

Lets wait and see what will happen ;)

Video: Samsung 37" LCD, Topfield 7700HSCI (HD-Sat), Denon DVD-2500BT (BluRay), Denon DVD-1940 (DVD)
Audio: Teufel System 5 THX @ Denon AVR 1910
Consoles: Homebrew Xbox 360 (500GB), Xbox 360 Slim (4GB) + Kinect, Homebrew Nintendo Wii, Homebrew Playstation 3 Slim (250GB)

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him - BELIEVE

I think chances are slim to none in Others/Japan. I NA it could but even there I don't think its a sure thing anymore.

Dark Knight on BR, RFOM2 and LBP and the fact many more people are desiring one now in US could see it trump 360 as I think the 360's bigger install base will actually hurt it here - i.e. the percentage of potential 360 owners without one vs potentoal PS3 owners without one imay actually be smaller now.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
I think chances are slim to none in Others/Japan. I NA it could but even there I don't think its a sure thing anymore.

Dark Knight on BR, RFOM2 and LBP and the fact many more people are desiring one now in US could see it trump 360 as I think the 360's bigger install base will actually hurt it here - i.e. the percentage of potential 360 owners without one vs potentoal PS3 owners without one imay actually be smaller now.

so people are going to by a $400 to watch dark knight haha dont be stupid man and lbp isnt going to sell millions of console like everyone (fanboys) keep saying

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

no. the price cut will only have effect for a few weeks, like when they reduced the pro 20 to bring in the 60 version, then sony will be back on top, sales may increase slightly after the few weeks spike and thats it, the price cut s evidence that microsoft is loosing momentum like last week sales of the 360 were at 98,000 if you chaeck for the 23rd of august on vg chartz. it also prooves that they know that they will come in 3rd place and are desperate to stay in the fight.

PS3 Trophies

DS: 120,000,000; Wii: 60,000,000; Xbox 360: 38,000,000; PlayStation 3: 34,000,000; PlayStation Portable: 60,000,000

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Worldwide dont think so.