By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: we will finish 2nd

Final-Fan said:
JaggedSac said:
Seihyouken said:
3. If you bothered to look at Sony and Microsoft's respective financial reports you would see that Sony actually made a profit last quarter with the PS3 selling at a much more significant loss per unit sold than it does now. Meanwhile, Microsoft went right back into the red last quarter. If Microsoft couldn't even stay in the green last quarter, I have serious doubts whether they can in the future given that the upcoming price-cuts will only cut their profitability even more.
Just wanted to point out that #3 cannot be backed up by facts.  The division that you are reffering to that lost money contains many many of M$'s products, so basing preformance on those numbers is completely wrong.

What do you suggest lost the money in that division instead?  There has to be a plausible alternative, or the presence of other things in the division makes no difference.  This is a serious question because I really haven't looked at this.

I am not familiar with what exactly is in the division, but it contains products like Zune, 360, etc.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Seihyouken said:
xboxfanboy said:
Sony is going to be in third for this gen unless they want to keep losing money. Microsoft will beat sony for the rest of the year after the price cut and sony will go from first to last. Sony need to focus on making money on the ps3. All these weeks sony beat microsoft they are still losing money I still find it funny how people say sony will some how start selling some much more then M$ there no way because 360 will always be cheaper and with the us and soon most of the worlds economy in the s*** that will matter plus both the ps3 and 360 and getting beat by the wii so by next gen both of them will turn there focus on nintendo

now the kingdom hearts 3 will be only on the ps3 I have no choice but to buy one
which mean sony will get more money from me

I didn't know it was possible for someone to be so wrong about every little thing they're talking about.

1. Sony is practically guaranteed to come in 2nd this Gen.

2. PS3s are borderline profitable and what little loss there is left on hardware sales are made up with PS2 & PSP hardware sales as well as PS3, PSP, PS2 and PSN software sales.

3. If you bothered to look at Sony and Microsoft's respective financial reports you would see that Sony actually made a profit last quarter with the PS3 selling at a much more significant loss per unit sold than it does now. Meanwhile, Microsoft went right back into the red last quarter. If Microsoft couldn't even stay in the green last quarter, I have serious doubts whether they can in the future given that the upcoming price-cuts will only cut their profitability even more.

4. The upcoming 360 price-cut will not push 360 over PS3 in worldwide consoles sales in either October or November and probably not December either. The price-cut earlier this year in Europe didn't push 360 sales over PS3's and the Japanese couldn't care less how much the 360 costs. The price-drop in America will have a greater effect then in Europe, but if you think that it will somehow magically make up the difference in Europe and Japan for the next 12 months then you must be in denial. Hell, even in America 360 is going to have trouble beating PS3 due to the fact that this upcoming Christmas will be the biggest HDTV/Blu-ray adoption season ever.

5. Xbox has been cheaper than the PS3 since launch and yet the PS3 has still out sold the 360 for almost EVERY SINGLE WEEK this year. If you haven't realized that having the cheaper model isn't the most important aspect toward gaining more consoles sales, then you're hopeless.

6. Trying to fight Nintendo directly is a lost battle. They've successfully created their own microcosm in the games industry. Sony will not feel the need to take on Nintendo for the casual market because they are successful with the hardcore market. Microsoft may feel the need to go after Nintendo with the casual market simply because they can't beat Sony with the hardcore market while making a profit. If Microsoft does go after Nintendo next generation, not only will they likely still remain in 3rd place, they will also leave Sony with unchallenged reign of the hardcore market. 

7. Kingdom Hearts III is not confirmed to be on the PS3 or even in development for that matter. That was rumor in a UK PlayStation magazine. Do I really need to tell you that you should wait until you blindly accept it as fact?

Just wanted to point out that #3 cannot be backed up by facts.  The division that you are reffering to that lost money contains many many of M$'s products, so basing preformance on those numbers is completely wrong.

You're quite right, but that is far as Microsoft is willing to let us know how their game division is doing and it's not very good. In fact, as far as Microsoft is letting us know, the Xbox division has never made Microsoft a single penny and with the upcoming price-drops, that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Seihyouken said:
JaggedSac said:
Seihyouken said:
xboxfanboy said:
Sony is going to be in third for this gen unless they want to keep losing money. Microsoft will beat sony for the rest of the year after the price cut and sony will go from first to last. Sony need to focus on making money on the ps3. All these weeks sony beat microsoft they are still losing money I still find it funny how people say sony will some how start selling some much more then M$ there no way because 360 will always be cheaper and with the us and soon most of the worlds economy in the s*** that will matter plus both the ps3 and 360 and getting beat by the wii so by next gen both of them will turn there focus on nintendo

now the kingdom hearts 3 will be only on the ps3 I have no choice but to buy one

I didn't know it was possible for someone to be so wrong about every little thing they're talking about.

1. Sony is practically guaranteed to come in 2nd this Gen.

2. PS3s are borderline profitable and what little loss there is left on hardware sales are made up with PS2 & PSP hardware sales as well as PS3, PSP, PS2 and PSN software sales.

3. If you bothered to look at Sony and Microsoft's respective financial reports you would see that Sony actually made a profit last quarter with the PS3 selling at a much more significant loss per unit sold than it does now. Meanwhile, Microsoft went right back into the red last quarter. If Microsoft couldn't even stay in the green last quarter, I have serious doubts whether they can in the future given that the upcoming price-cuts will only cut their profitability even more.

4. The upcoming 360 price-cut will not push 360 over PS3 in worldwide consoles sales in either October or November and probably not December either. The price-cut earlier this year in Europe didn't push 360 sales over PS3's and the Japanese couldn't care less how much the 360 costs. The price-drop in America will have a greater effect then in Europe, but if you think that it will somehow magically make up the difference in Europe and Japan for the next 12 months then you must be in denial. Hell, even in America 360 is going to have trouble beating PS3 due to the fact that this upcoming Christmas will be the biggest HDTV/Blu-ray adoption season ever.

5. Xbox has been cheaper than the PS3 since launch and yet the PS3 has still out sold the 360 for almost EVERY SINGLE WEEK this year. If you haven't realized that having the cheaper model isn't the most important aspect toward gaining more consoles sales, then you're hopeless.

6. Trying to fight Nintendo directly is a lost battle. They've successfully created their own microcosm in the games industry. Sony will not feel the need to take on Nintendo for the casual market because they are successful with the hardcore market. Microsoft may feel the need to go after Nintendo with the casual market simply because they can't beat Sony with the hardcore market while making a profit. If Microsoft does go after Nintendo next generation, not only will they likely still remain in 3rd place, they will also leave Sony with unchallenged reign of the hardcore market. 

7. Kingdom Hearts III is not confirmed to be on the PS3 or even in development for that matter. That was rumor in a UK PlayStation magazine. Do I really need to tell you that you should wait until you blindly accept it as fact?

Just wanted to point out that #3 cannot be backed up by facts.  The division that you are reffering to that lost money contains many many of M$'s products, so basing preformance on those numbers is completely wrong.

You're quite right, but that is far as Microsoft is willing to let us know how their game division is doing and it's not very good. In fact, as far as Microsoft is letting us know, the Xbox division has never made Microsoft a single penny and with the upcoming price-drops, that isn't going to change anytime soon.

i think that solely on hardware, MS lost more money than sony, because of RROD. they both lost a lot on hardware, of course ps3 lost more, but if you add the cost of RROD to microsoft, then there you have it.

xboxfanboy said:

First to last? Hang on...something about this is wrong. But i cant quite grasp what.....

Wait....FIRST! Since when have Sony been first? Are you looking at the sales figures on the front page upside down or something?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Paul, Wii is still killing Ps3 yet it's a given that it will pass the Wii?

Either you mixed the Wii up with 360 or you have alzheimers!

Around the Network

"Paul, Wii is still killing Ps3 yet it's a given that it will pass the Wii?

Either you mixed the Wii up with 360 or you have alzheimers!"

Believe what you want to believe for whatever reasons you want to believe that, and even though the mods are trying to get on my back for saying things that they don't agree with (I guess I can say things that people don't agree with in a very civil manner and get penalized for it while others make an insulting comment such as I have alzheimers and not get any repercussions for it all -- free society that), and I'll believe what I want to believe. We'll see what happens by the holiday season of 2010 as I said earlier.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

The mods are going after you for statements of opinion that did not insult anyone? Really?

As for your opinion, yes you are completely free to believe that the PS3 is destined to pass the Wii, and you can even make threads explaining how this miracle will supposedly occur, but your opinion in that case is wrong. Even CrazzyMan isn't that crazzy with his predictions. Anymore.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Makakas said:

With games like Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Halo Wars for this year

Xbox360 has a big chance of winning again

Winning again? Did they won last gen or something? And the wii is winning by the way.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

The Xbox came in second (according to HW sales) and I guess that's winning now.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Kratos said:
Makakas said:

With games like Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Halo Wars for this year

Xbox360 has a big chance of winning again

Winning again? Did they won last gen or something? And the wii is winning by the way.

In all  all fairness to his post, could he have meant

Xbox360 has a 'big chance of winning' again

instead of

Xbox360 has a big chance of 'winning again'

Online discussions are sometimes easily to misinterpret I find...