By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why are you voting or not voting for Barack Obama?

I'm voting for him because he's the breath of fresh air that we need. Seriously, Mccain just ain't "IT", he's too old and after he's gone we'll be left with an ex beauty queen with a pregnant 17 yr old daughter as our president "if" Mccain gets elected...which won't happen.

"Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad"

Love doesn't make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.
Franklin P. Jones
Around the Network

Note: Leaving this thread open for now since it has a decent discussion going. If it goes south I'll probably lock it, so please keep it clean and friendly folks.

To Each Man, Responsibility
akuma587 said:
Kasz216 said:

I think it'll be neither... but hey that's just me.  If he actually comes through on what he says though I imagine it will be for everyone and not just "one group".

I mean his healthcare plan is basically "make people buy health insurance and fine people who don't."

Which is like fixing global hunger by "make people buy food, and fine people who don't."

It's not that people don't want healthcare.  It's they can't afford it.

I think your confusing his plan with Hillary's.  From everything I have seen Obama doesn't want to punish those who choose not to buy health insurance, because he thinks it is a valid choice.

No.  His plan was the same as Clintons.  The only difference is he's forcing less people to get healthcare.  His plan does the same thing Clinton's does. 

Except his is only for families.  Which granted I do think every child should have Healthcare but his plan to do it is ass backwords.

He described it quite often in the primaries.  Don't your remember him and Clinton going back and forth... argueing about it... Barak saying he supports it only for some people, and Clinton saying that if you only make a small portion of the population get healthcare it won't do anything to lower prices and instead just cost people money.

Then Clinton saying that him accusing her of forcing people to pay fines was unfair because Obama was doing the same thing.... but Obama saying it was different because it only applied to children.

Directly from his campaign website.

Mandatory Coverage of Children: Obama will require that all children have health care coverage. Obama will expand the number of options for young adults to get coverage, including allowing young people up to age 25 to continue coverage through their parents' plans.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

In otherwords... there will be people forced to get health insurance who can't afford it...  Universal Healthcare if mandatory needs to be run by the government.  Running it like car insurance just doesn't work.

Now if he was for the government covering the healthcare costs of all kids.  Yeah sure.  Like I said i'd perfer state government.

But doing it this way just seems like a payout to the insurance lobbyists at the expense of the lower middle class and "richer" poor.

I'm voting for Barack Obama because that man is a tax and spend liberal. It's been a while since we had one of those. I like them. Somebody fight me.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'm voting for Barack Obama because that man is a tax and spend liberal. It's been a while since we had one of those. I like them. Somebody fight me.

1. Bill Clinton had a PROJECTED surplus.

Fiscal
Year
Year
Ending
National Debt Deficit
FY1993  09/30/1993  $4.411488 trillion
FY1994  09/30/1994  $4.692749 trillion  $281.26 billion
FY1995  09/29/1995  $4.973982 trillion  $281.23 billion
FY1996  09/30/1996  $5.224810 trillion  $250.83 billion
FY1997  09/30/1997  $5.413146 trillion  $188.34 billion
FY1998  09/30/1998  $5.526193 trillion  $113.05 billion
FY1999  09/30/1999  $5.656270 trillion  $130.08 billion
FY2000  09/29/2000  $5.674178 trillion  $17.91 billion
FY2001  09/28/2001  $5.807463 trillion  $133.29 billion

According to the US Treasury, there was NEVER a real surplus under Clinton, and the national debt increased every year he was in office. It was a manufactured future surplus made by extrapolating a line graph and not taking into account all variables. I'm not saying Bush has a better record by any means, he clearly does not, I'm just saying that the 'Surplus' thing is a bunch of bull.

This surplus did not take into account the huge economic downturn & tax revenue decrease resulting directly from the 9/11 attacks and the financial strain of the resulting wars in Afghanistan (Justified, I believe), and Iraq (debatable).

2. The problem with this is, these guys weren't truly 'Fiscally Conservative', because they didn't cut spending to reflect their tax cuts. My biggest problem with Bush has been that he cut taxes, but increased spending, this is just STUPID. A TRUE fiscal conservative would cut spending to balance the budget if he cut taxes, and would only cut taxes AFTER spending had been cut. Calling Bush a "Fiscal Conservative" is another major problem with the cartoon. I have HUGE problems with his lack of fiscal responsibility in his years in the white house.

Around the Network

When was the last time we had a true fiscal conservative? They're all liars. That's my point.

We've got "tax and spend" and we've got "spend and spend."

Damn you for actually looking at the facts rather than buying into campaign buzzwords!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

When was the last time we had a true fiscal conservative? They're all liars. That's my point.

Sure... if you ignore McCains' entire history in congress.

However McCain has a long history of voting Fiscal Conservative.

The only thing that makes him different from most Fiscal Conservatives is that he isnt' completely "free market" and believes in low spending but also spending to help the poor.

Snesboy said:

This is the internet. Who gives a fuck? Seriously?

It might benefit the rest of us not to mention yourself if you knew what you were talking about rather than mindlessly parroting talk radio and hearsay.

Well, hot damn! We actually agree on something.(now the agreement will end)

Fiscally conservative views would work better if they were actually implemented.

I happen to think that Johnny would be more fiscally conservative in reality than any of the presidents you listed. I could be wrong, but I tend to think he would be because of his record.