By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why are you voting or not voting for Barack Obama?

Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:
superchunk said:
rocketpig said:

The difference being that Obama wanted a timeline no matter what shape the country was in.

Bush and McCain are now seeing the surge worked and that a pullout in 2010 or so is feasible.

One is reacting to a situation intelligently and with regard to Iraqi longevity, the other is selfish politicking.

Like I said, Obama wanted to pull out before the surge and fought against the surge. Now he wants to take credit for the idea of a 2010 pullout? Bullshit.

I never said I like 100% of Obama's ideas/stances. However, I like a hugely larger percentage than McCain's.

Things I dislike about Obama:

1. His stance against the surge and its now obvious successful period.
2. His stance on being pro-Israel. But, in reality every politician feels they have to thanks to AIPAC.
3. His stance on Ethenol and other fuels that would promote continued combustion engines. Electric FTW!, both are the same here.

Where as with McCain and his religious zealot VP I detest a lot of their stances.

McCain wants to get rid of the Ethanol Subsidies.

Frankly, that's a good thing. Ethanol is so short-sighted it's unbelievable. It requires so much land, land that is either used for forest (combat global warming), or food, so with ethanol it's either fuel, the earth, or food. There are other alternatives the US should be pushing for.

I agree getting rid of Ethanol is a good thing. 

Just stating the point that he's against it.  Also there seems to be some proof that it isn't even helping the enviroment due to all the oil it takes to make the stuff... and it's lower efficency.  Now Sugarcane Ethanol.. at least has enviromental benefits.

The UN also thinks it's part of the global food crisis and call biofuels "Criminal."

McCain is also for less combustion energy as it is... promoting Nuclear electricity over Obama's plan for Coal Electricity. (like bush!)

Obama's energy policy is basically the biproduct of the lobbyists he picked up in Illnois.  Big coal and ethanol companies are going to gain a lot from Obama's incresed importance placed on those fuels.

One of the countries biggest Ethanol and Coal producers.  Though i'm not sure how that relates to car engines.

Nuclear power is a good choice for the time being, while other technologies are so far behind.

Yeah, I think I'd agree with the UN there, I think it's incredibly selfish for rich countries to use valuble food land just so they can have a bigger engined SUV, when people in poorer countries starve.

I would help the enviroment if it was planted on land that wasn't absorbing Co2, but it's likely that it will be planted where forest or farmland used to be.

Yeah, nuclear power isn't and end all... but it's the best option we currently have for the next 10-15 years.

People who think the problem can be stopped mostly be education have never measured their carbon footprint.

The kind of life you would need live to be "even" with it is much more spartan then people realize.

Amusingly, only one candidate is a Hybrid man.  John McCain.

It's hard to tell who's plan offers more for development of Hybrids... since Obama's plan ties directly into taking care of retiree healtchare benefits... which is something either candidates campaign is probably going to have to do anyway... and in a greater percentage then what Obama proposes.  In return for 50% of said costs being put in research for Hybrids.

While McCain is offering incentives to each company researching hybrids and a $5,000 tax credit for each customer that buys a zero-emission plug in car.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:

Frankly, that's a good thing. Ethanol is so short-sighted it's unbelievable. It requires so much land, land that is either used for forest (combat global warming), or food, so with ethanol it's either fuel, the earth, or food. There are other alternatives the US should be pushing for.

Just stating the point that he's against it.  Also there seems to be some proof that it isn't even helping the enviroment due to all the oil it takes to make the stuff... and it's lower efficency.  Now Sugarcane Ethanol.. at least has enviromental benefits.

The UN also thinks it's part of the global food crisis and call biofuels "Criminal."

McCain is also for less combustion energy as it is... promoting Nuclear electricity over Obama's plan for Coal Electricity. (like bush!)

Obama's energy policy is basically the biproduct of the lobbyists he picked up in Illnois.  Big coal and ethanol companies are going to gain a lot from Obama's incresed importance placed on those fuels.

One of the countries biggest Ethanol and Coal producers.  Though i'm not sure how that relates to car engines.

Nuclear power is a good choice for the time being, while other technologies are so far behind.

Yeah, I think I'd agree with the UN there, I think it's incredibly selfish for rich countries to use valuble food land just so they can have a bigger engined SUV, when people in poorer countries starve.

I would help the enviroment if it was planted on land that wasn't absorbing Co2, but it's likely that it will be planted where forest or farmland used to be.

Yeah, nuclear power isn't and end all... but it's the best option we currently have for the next 10-15 years.

People who think the problem can be stopped mostly be education have never measured their carbon footprint.

The kind of life you would need live to be "even" with it is much more spartan then people realize.

1. Definately

2. Our family's is below average for the UK, woo!

3. Agreed, which is why at the same time I am glad I live in the UK!

4. Haha, Pruis FTW! Or not...

I'm not voting for Obama because his last name sort of rhymes with "I'll bomb ya", so he must be a terrorist. Plus the whole Obama, Biden ; Osama, Bin Laden thing.

Seriously, though. I actually can't vote for him because of his policies.

Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:

1. Definately

Well... in the UK.  Even the UK's average isn't exactly... healthy for the enviroment.

When you look at the "ecological footprints" of people.  The UK goes a bit farther then the US and is set up a lot better for people to go "off the grid".

Still when you look at your "ecological footprints" and stuff like that... you'd be surprised.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:
Kasz216 said:
Tispower1 said:

1. Definately

Well... in the UK.  Even the UK's average isn't exactly... healthy for the enviroment.

When you look at the "ecological footprints" of people.  The UK goes a bit farther then the US and is set up a lot better for people to go "off the grid".

Still when you look at your "ecological footprints" and stuff like that... you'd be surprised.

It'd probably be horrible :( Seriously though, none of us in "The West" really care at all about the developing nations. But at the same time if we had a significant grasp on their suffering we probably couldn't cope (Kenya, Zimbabwe, Tibet, Georgia, etc), as there is a lot of bad crap going on.

Pro: He's supposed to really want to help the poor people in this country out and be interested in doing things to narrow the gap between the wealthy and those that aren't wealthy.

Question: Will he really be as interested in doing this for all people or for just one group of people.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Paul_Warren said:
Pro: He's supposed to really want to help the poor people in this country out and be interested in doing things to narrow the gap between the wealthy and those that aren't wealthy.

Question: Will he really be as interested in doing this for all people or for just one group of people.

I think it'll be neither... but hey that's just me.  If he actually comes through on what he says though I imagine it will be for everyone and not just "one group".

I mean his healthcare plan is basically "make people buy health insurance and fine people who don't."

Which is like fixing global hunger by "make people buy food, and fine people who don't."

It's not that people don't want healthcare.  It's they can't afford it.

Well, I'm $80,000.00 in debt (50,000 in student loans +30,000 in credit card debt), live in an area of the world where there aren't any jobs and there's a lot of discrimination (I'm discriminated against because of my "character". Don't have any health insurance. Had some criminal offenses in my past which employers tend to find a risk to my employment, am not in the best of shape (haven't been employed since January so I haven't been very active either), am getting old (35+), yet I would still very much like to live the American Dream. In five years be gainfully employed, have a nice looking wife, be in better shape, be gainfully employed at a job that's not repetitive labor, have made enough progress towards paying off certain bills that I can afford to do some other things as well. So, I don't know if any of these Presedential candidates is the right one for me to vote for in my situation.  I do hear the Democrats saying they want to help out the poor and disenfranchised. But all I hear out of the Republicans is we've got to put country first, keep up the fight against the terrorists etc. I don't know. But, the psychologist Maswell on his Hierarchy of Needs states that to work on more complex ones one needs to first satisfy their basic needs. Right now, my basic needs aren't being met very well, and I would put fighting terrorists, etc, as things to do once I'm in a better place to be able to do them and I think that's what it comes down to. In my opinion Democrats represent those whom will satisfy basic needs while what Republicans seem to be more concerned with are more complex ones. When there are no jobs in the town of 1000 people that you live in and at the last job you worked you had to drive 60 miles round trip to work while watching your car wearing out, being unable to afford to have the car fixed, having to pay more and more in gas to be able to go to work each week (with gas stations not really giving you the $10.00 of gas that you payed for) ones body wearing out and really being too old and out of shape to attempt the work you're having to do anyway even though you have a college degree but made a few mistakes in life...what you want is someone whom will help you be able to meet your basic needs and give you hope for a better future.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Kasz216 said:

I think it'll be neither... but hey that's just me.  If he actually comes through on what he says though I imagine it will be for everyone and not just "one group".

I mean his healthcare plan is basically "make people buy health insurance and fine people who don't."

Which is like fixing global hunger by "make people buy food, and fine people who don't."

It's not that people don't want healthcare.  It's they can't afford it.

I think your confusing his plan with Hillary's.  From everything I have seen Obama doesn't want to punish those who choose not to buy health insurance, because he thinks it is a valid choice.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson