By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ask me anything about sales in my country...:p

is the snes still numero uno?

Around the Network

If you're trying to laugh at the technology over here, I'm pretty sorry for you.

No, it's not. The DS is.

I'm interested in the following:

Wii: Have the Russian mafia/Chinese triads started commercializing pirated Wii games (most probably yes)? This I bet is the hottest next-gen console because of the rampant piracy and not so much because of the waggle?

PS3: I bet sales are abysmal for two reasons: a) too expensive (you mentioned this), and perhaps more importantly, b) no pirated games available. Is that correct?

DS: Do they sell these with R4s or Supercards included, plus DS ROMs at a certain amount of $ per CD?

PSP: Have they managed to actually pirate UMDs?

PS2: Probably the best selling still?

What are the retail prices of the consoles, at small "mom-and-pops" (independent retailers that import their merchandise from the US via "Club Buzzom" or similar) compared to the larger retail outlets like Sukasa?

How's the online component for gaming in general back home? You have to pay over 100$ to get 384kb speeds, last I checked! Are there LAN parties or anything similar?

your mother said:

Wii: Have the Russian mafia/Chinese triads started commercializing pirated Wii games (most probably yes)? This I bet is the hottest next-gen console because of the rampant piracy and not so much because of the waggle?

PS3: I bet sales are abysmal for two reasons: a) too expensive (you mentioned this), and perhaps more importantly, b) no pirated games available. Is that correct?

DS: Do they sell these with R4s or Supercards included, plus DS ROMs at a certain amount of $ per CD?

What are the retail prices of the consoles, at small "mom-and-pops" (independent retailers that import their merchandise from the US via "Club Buzzom" or similar) compared to the larger retail outlets like Sukasa?

How's the online component for gaming in general back home? You have to pay over 100$ to get 384kb speeds, last I checked! Are there LAN parties or anything similar?

Ok. I'll answer one by one.
Wii: As a matter of fact, yes. A small retailer already sells Wii pirated games, and the largest retailer in the city is also going to get the Wii pirated games next week (a.k.a. this week). The Wii, however, is not too popular with piracy and mod chips and that stuff yet.
PS3: You're right on point A and B (up to what I know). Congrats!
DS: Actually, I haven't seen a single place selling any kind of DS pirated games. It's very strange, since it's a very popular console. The GBA did get hacked (lol at the walls filled with stand-alone GBA cartridges, without manual or anything else) so I don't see why the DS hasn't been hacked here yet.
PSP: Like a twist with the DS. Yes, the PSP has actually been hacked, though not as much as the PS2 yet. My largest retailer will get pirated PSP copies next week to compliment Wii pirated games. (Umm....great?)
PS2: Yeah. Even though it sells only $50 cheaper than the Wii (?!?!Actually, it sells like that because it contains the so-called mod chip. My PS2 has one...don't flame me yet, I'll explain) it is still in the lead I guess, it's got the largest pirated library (even though actual original games don't sell at all) and it's still very popular. Games sell as low as $2 a game (!!!).
1: Sukasa doesn't sell videogames as far as I know.>_> But I know what you mean. The consoles in those places tend to be only slightly cheaper, or slightly (sometimes blatantly) expensive.
2: Middle class and lower=Don't have Internet at all, either go to CyberCafes, or have a dial-up connection.
High-middle class and higher=Have a broadband connection, expensive, yes, but it's not that expensive once you pay the first part.
Wireless Internet? Hardly.

TheLivingShadow said:
your mother said:

Ok. I'll answer one by one.
Wii: As a matter of fact, yes. A small retailer already sells Wii pirated games, and the largest retailer in the city is also going to get the Wii pirated games next week (a.k.a. this week). The Wii, however, is not too popular with piracy and mod chips and that stuff yet.
PS3: You're right on point A and B (up to what I know). Congrats!
DS: Actually, I haven't seen a single place selling any kind of DS pirated games. It's very strange, since it's a very popular console. The GBA did get hacked (lol at the walls filled with stand-alone GBA cartridges, without manual or anything else) so I don't see why the DS hasn't been hacked here yet.
PSP: Like a twist with the DS. Yes, the PSP has actually been hacked, though not as much as the PS2 yet. My largest retailer will get pirated PSP copies next week to compliment Wii pirated games. (Umm....great?)
PS2: Yeah. Even though it sells only $50 cheaper than the Wii (?!?!Actually, it sells like that because it contains the so-called mod chip. My PS2 has one...don't flame me yet, I'll explain) it is still in the lead I guess, it's got the largest pirated library (even though actual original games don't sell at all) and it's still very popular. Games sell as low as $2 a game (!!!).
1: Sukasa doesn't sell videogames as far as I know.>_> But I know what you mean. The consoles in those places tend to be only slightly cheaper, or slightly (sometimes blatantly) expensive.
2: Middle class and lower=Don't have Internet at all, either go to CyberCafes, or have a dial-up connection.
High-middle class and higher=Have a broadband connection, expensive, yes, but it's not that expensive once you pay the first part.
Wireless Internet? Hardly.

You can basicly get internet on your psp almost everywhere.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:

You can basicly get internet on your psp almost everywhere.

You can reword your sentence to "You can basicly get internet on your DS almost everywhere." Or hell, for that matter, any gaming apparatus with wifi built-in. 

@TheLivingShadow:

Where are you exactly? Manta? Bahía? 

your mother said:

@TheLivingShadow:

Where are you exactly? Manta? Bahía? 

I'm from Portoviejo and I live there. Because my dad is a politician, I sometimes have to go to other cities, but I'm not used to go to Manta very much.

Porque tienes modchip' no nos dijiste esa historia jajaja, ahora que es un post de alguien de latinoamerica pongo mi mensaje en español como todo los inches alemanes que luego ni se les entiende jajajaja.
está chido tu tema... o debería decir está "Bakano" tu tema... jajaja no se si usen ese termino allá, o solo en chile y países aledaños. (chido es sinónimo de cool).

I live in México and the situation is a lot different mainly becuase mircrosoft is fairly strong here, and I only know of one person with a PS3 (and I knew of many people with interest but it died with the launch fever).

Pirate games are still king over here, but they dont sell r4ds or m3simpls, I guess that if they sell a card that basically frees you from their "retail chain" they would lose customers. Most people dont even know they exist. I bought a couple of cards from hong knog, but only because im informed and have internet access...

Broadband penetration is pretty strong here with prices of 27 dollars a month for one megabit of bandwidth. Prices have steadily gone down with competiton from multiple ISPs. HDTV penetration is not really high here, but prices are going down, and most people who doesnt hav a tv at least considersa small HDTV panel, also because most factories are in mexico and prices are great. (1100 dollars for a 42 inch LCD), 800 dollars for a 32 " LCD (expensive brands are way more expensive though.)

Actually Nintendo was pretty strong in mexico since the nes days and in the N64 era I guss it was 50% mrket share for nintendo in spite of many people buying PSX for pirated games. Brand loyalty was high. with PS2 and XBOX I think gamecube suffered the lack of pirate games...

This gen wars is different and the wii is gaining momentum... XBOX is doing GREAT over here, with prices of the console in the 430 dollars range for the premium with two free games. The wii sells for 365 dollars in comparison. But its already happening and a lot of casual gamers are picking up the wii. and their moms are picking one up too hehe.