By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price by $100, Projects Sales to Double

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aYWkGuoeuipo

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price by $100, Projects Sales to Double

By Michael White

July 9 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp. will cut the price of the PlayStation 3 video-game console in the U.S. and Canada by $100 in a bid to double sales of the player, which has trailed rivals since its introduction last year.

A PlayStation 3 with a 60-gigabyte hard drive will sell for $499 starting today, a 17 percent discount, Jack Tretton, head of Tokyo-based Sony's U.S. games business, said in an interview. A new 80-gigabyte model will go on sale in August for $599.

Sony predicts the price cut will double U.S. sales of the player, Tretton said. The move will take customers from Microsoft Corp., forcing the Xbox 360 maker to drop the price of its $479 Elite model, analysts said. Nintendo Co.'s Wii, the top-selling console at $249, probably won't be affected.

``The price cut should take more away from Microsoft,'' said Richard Doherty, an analyst at the research firm Envisioneering Group in Seaford, New York. ``A lot of sales that would have gone to the Xbox Elite will go to PlayStation.''

Sony made its announcement one day before the opening of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3, conference in Santa Monica, California, where console makers and game publishers announce new products for the coming year. The conference opens tomorrow night with a press briefing by Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft. Kyoto-based Nintendo and Sony have scheduled events for the following day.

Sony's news may spur Microsoft to respond by announcing a cut of $50 to $100 in the Elite's price at the conference, said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles.

Sales Forecast

``It pretty much forces Microsoft to cut,'' Pachter said.

Sony's sales increase probably will be closer to 50 percent than the doubling Tretton forecasts, Pachter said. At $499, the price of a 20-gigabyte model that's being discontinued, PlayStation 3 still is costly, especially when Wii is available for $249 and Sony's own PlayStation 2 sells for $129, he said.

Sony will cut prices further as production costs continue to drop, Pachter said.

``Five hundred dollars isn't going to get anyone excited,'' he said. ``It's good as a signal if nothing else.''

American depositary receipts of Sony, each equal to one ordinary share, rose 77 cents to $53.14 on July 6 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have gained 24 percent this year.

Sony President Ryoji Chubachi said as recently as July 6 the company had no plans to cut PS3 prices.

U.S. Sales

U.S. consumers have purchased 1.38 million PlayStation 3s since it was introduced in November. That compares with 2.84 million Wii players, which reached stores the same month. Microsoft, which introduced Xbox 360 a year earlier, has had sales of 5.5 million, according to Port Washington, New York- based NPD Group Inc., which tracks sales.

Sony can cut prices because the company has cleared up production problems with a diode used in the PlayStation 3's Blu- ray disk player, said Tretton, who is based in Foster City, California. He declined to discuss costs for the console.

Clearing up the trouble made PlayStation 3 profitable several months ago, giving the company room to cut prices, analyst Doherty said. Microsoft still loses money on each Xbox 360 it sells, he said.

``Any price cut they try to make puts them more into the red,'' Doherty said.

In addition to a larger hard drive, the new PlayStation 3 model will also come with the racing game ``MotorStorm,'' Tretton said.

Around the Network

Great. I'll be more likely to buy the PS3 in October, after my birthday. Sure, I live in Ecuador so the price of the PS3 is much higher, but I'll try to get it in North America whenever possible.

This news means a sold PS3 to me, even if a distant one to be sold...

TheLivingShadow said:

Great. I'll be more likely to buy the PS3 in October, after my birthday. Sure, I live in Ecuador so the price of the PS3 is much higher, but I'll try to get it in North America whenever possible.

This news means a sold PS3 to me, even if a distant one to be sold...

You're from Ecuador - Manabí specifically?

Habla paisano!

How much are consoles there (360/Wii/PS3)? Very curious, as from what I recall console prices were always about double US retail prices.

Also, how are the consoles selling over there? Very curious!

How come the number of Wiis mentioned in this article are much lower than the VG Chartz numbers? by like 700,000...

Same thing with the 360, like 1,000,000 less.

Are these old NPD numbers?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

For the 1000th time, 2.84 million is the only official number which was published by Nintendo on March 31.

Around the Network

the 80 gig version is just silly. This is just a ploy that hopefully many people will be stupid and buy the 80 gig version instead of the 60 gig one. They are obviously losing a lot more money on the 60 gig one. The extra 20 gigs costs them what 10$?? Motorstorm doesn't really cost them anything except for the lost revenue if the person would have bought the game anyway.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

The $100 US price cut will be interesting, since it appears to be only in NA right now, with the low US dollar will the price drop by even more in Canada and the rest of the world when they get theirs. I'm not too sure why people are buying the PAL version of the system, since most of the gamers i'm guessing can speak very good english in Europe, would it not be better to just buy an American version over ebay and have $200+ to buy extra games. I feel really sorry for all the gamers WW that purchase this crap from Sony, M$ and Nintendo.

FishyJoe said:
For the 1000th time, 2.84 million is the only official number which was published by Nintendo on March 31.

It says according to NPD. Not according to Nintendo. Meaning these are NPD numbers at the end of May which should be accurate.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

sales to double? maybe the first couple weeks. good luck sony.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Yes, I am from Ecuador...from Manabí specifically. (But I'm actually high middle class economically here...I don't have that ugly way of speaking...) You can ask me anything you want about console sales. I also happen to live in Manabí's capital city, which kind of gives me a bonus point for information reliability on console sales here. But what you're going to hear isn't going to sound good. However, I think this is a bit off-topic and I'll make a topic about it tomorrow okay? For now I'm going to answer your particular questions.

First off, the Wii is the most popular and actually catters to non-gamers. The girlfriend of my uncle has a Wii and some games with it. I have a Wii. A friend of my best girl-friend has a Wii. A lot of people know about the Wii and many of my friends have been blown away by it when I invite them to play it. Unfortunately, it costs $450-$500 here. Then again, I haven't seen a Wii lately...perhaps they sell out quickly? Because the games they are selling for the Wii is actually increasing...they used to only have The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess but now they have many games, from Rayman Raving Rabbids, to Mario Party 8 and Red Steel; so I guess this is an indication that the Wiis are selling out before I know it.

The 360 is nowhere to be found. Games are hardly sold, and I haven't seen a single Xbox 360 in any place. It's not because they're sold out; it's because they don't sell it here. Same thing happened with the original Xbox. Nobody has heard about the 360 here. Don't call it dead though, since it never lived here in the first place. On the other hand, a couple weeks ago the (only) official (not so much, actually, sells pirated games also...might discuss this in my thread tomorrow) retailer in Portoviejo started selling a Xbox 360 game...yes, just one...and guess what it was...Pro Evolution Soccer 08. It's stupid, I know. Might cover this in more detail tomorrow.

Now the PS3...it's not being sold in my official retailer because it's too expensive. Not even a family as wealthy as mine (not that I'm wealthy actually...but most families with the same money as mine won't consider a PS3 for their average teenager/kid) will want to afford a PS3 for $1000 and the retailer knows it. You can only get it by actually ordering one. Now, there's another store in Portoviejo where they actually sell the PS3 (one?) but at $1000. That's too expensive, damn it. To top it off, I haven't seen a single PS3 game here in my city. My official retailer doesn't have games nor PS3s yet, but it's going to get some in the future.

That's it to answer your questions. Tomorrow, you can ask me about country-wide sales (not that I know much...but I've visited a number of stores in various important cities of Ecuador), and any other fact you want to know.

Fun fact: Wii games retail at $52 and PS3 games at $80 here. Handheld DS games retail at $42 and PSP games at $49