By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If McCain wins, would you support a McCain/Palin 2012 ticket?

ManusJustus said:
Jackson50 said:
I am unsure as to why everyone is citing McCain's age as a reason not to support him. Even if McCain does become incapacitated, Amendment XXV, Section IV addresses presidential incapacitation, so the proper mechanisms to deal with such a problem are in effect.

Just because you haven't died yet doesn't mean you are fully with us either.  The last thing we need is a president with Alzeheimers, where is the proper mechanism to deal with that?

Reagan did okay.  I mean i'm not a big fan of a lot of the stuff he did.  But he had no problems being president when he had the early stages of Alheizmers.

Also there is no proof or even a sign that McCain is going to have Alheizmers.... and even if he did have it... which he won't cause the chances of it are very small.  He would be ruled unfit by a doctor and removed from office.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Also there is no proof or even a sign that McCain is going to have Alheizmers.... and even if he did have it... which he won't cause the chances of it are very small.  He would be ruled unfit by a doctor and removed from office.

Jim Bunning has Alzeheimers and is still in office.  I do not believe that mental or physical condition is enough to take someone out of office agaisnt their will.

ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

Jim Bunning has Alzeheimers and is still in office.  I do not believe that mental or physical condition is enough to take someone out of office agaisnt their will.

1) The fact that you think McCain wouldn't willingly give up power if he had Alzhemiers shows you don't know much about the man.

2) Where has it been shown the guy has Alzhemiers?  There are at best a couple of rumors that he might have it based soley on agism and that he got a few things wrong.

He's just a bad senator.  There is no need for any excuses for it.

3) Presidents can be removed for Mental health problems.  Though not many have... actually some of our best presidents had mental health problems.  Like Lincoln for example who was likely Bipolar.

Actually every president that had a mental disease or is thought to have had a disease is ranked near the top oddly.

4) McCain doesn't even show himself as a good risk for Alzheimers.  I mean if he did, someone would of seized on his medical records.  Which he has released.

McCain publically stated he would not run for re-election if elected in 2008.

eab said:

McCain publically stated he would not run for re-election if elected in 2008.

Did he?  I thought everyone was saying he should say that... but he never did...

and the polls showed that he shouldn't because people perferred two terms.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
Jackson50 said:
I am unsure as to why everyone is citing McCain's age as a reason not to support him. Even if McCain does become incapacitated, Amendment XXV, Section IV addresses presidential incapacitation, so the proper mechanisms to deal with such a problem are in effect.

Just because you haven't died yet doesn't mean you are fully with us either.  The last thing we need is a president with Alzeheimers, where is the proper mechanism to deal with that?

The proper mechanism is Amendment XXV, Section IV. If the president is unable to fulfill his or her duty, the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President. If a president ever develops Alzheimer's, I imagine Article IV will, for the first time ever, be invoked.

Thanks for the information, I was not aware of that.