By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Director Guillermo Del Toro "only 2 games are masterpieces; ICO & Shadow of the Colossus

Director of Pan's Labyrinth & HellBoy and Academy award winner Guillermo del Toro has recently made a statement that he is a big gamer since the days of Pong and is a HUGE fan of Team ICO.

"There are only 2 games that I consider masterpieces; ICO & Shadow of the Colossus", said Guillermo del Toro in an interview with Edge magazine. Wow, respect up for Team ICO & SONY!

Team ICO are my most cherished games developer along side of Miyamoto and following close behind, Quantic Dream [Heavy Rain]. The new Team ICO game [games] is comming next year to the PS3 and is on the top of many peoples most wanted lists including mine. I just hope this time around though more people will buy their amazing games to give Team ICO what they really deserve.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network

(link plz)

Also, Ico was weird and looked unfinished to me. The game was too short, has a poor story, an average design ...

SoC was a LOT better. Better story (not perfect but still better), better gfx, better world, very good music. The immersion was great and travelling with your horse was REALLY GOOD. I enjoyed it even when I was lost in the world map

Time to Work !

I cant disagree with him. Hes made 2 of my favourite films of all time (the hellboy films)

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I cant disagree with him. Hes made 2 of my favourite films of all time (the hellboy films)

No offense, but if those are top of your list... you have lousy movie taste :p

He missed Indigo Prophecy which was one of the most unique and cinematic gaming experiences of all time.

I do love the extremely interesting IPs that emerge unexpectedly on the PS systems though, ICO and SoC were indeed diamonds in the rough.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

Artistically I'd agree with him. Ico and SOTC both were essentially perfect in terms of their design, etc. and mechanics.

Of course, they are not games for everyone, but I'm always amazed people feel they were unfinished or lacking in more obvious foes, narrative, and so on.

ICO and SOTC were not designed to have lots of enemies, bosses, clearly defined goals, etc. as most games see as standard. They are both essentially fables or fairy tales played out via deeply immersive gameplay - mood and a slowly gathered sense of what is going on is their focus, coupled with generating an emotional response from the player.

They are also the only two games I feel really delivered a completely cohesive narrative (simple as it was) that used the medium (i.e. visual clues, gameplay actually conveys mood and theme, etc) they too place on.

Are they the best games ever as pure games? I wouldn't say so - but they are unique and certainly I would argue small masterpieces within their own scope.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

papflesje said:

They are not top of my list. I didnt say they were. Im sorry you misunderstood

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
papflesje said:

They are not top of my list. I didnt say they were. Im sorry you misunderstood

He just has list of 100 favorite films of all time, lol.

team ico project is not for the next year
2010 i think

I certainly can't argue with the guy who gave us The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.

Still, he must have never played Planescape: Torment or Killer7. =P

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom