By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why all the Sony hate?

Entroper said:

Lifetime hardware sales (millions):

AmericaPAL
NES
PSX

That's probably why.

Wow, that's heavy. And I just saw that the SNES didn't sell any better over here in the EU.

Must be my age... I completely missed the whole Playstation era.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Around the Network
ElRhodeo said:
rocketpig said:
Microsoft isn't in it for image, they're in it for control of the living room... And future profits. Just like any other company, particularly your beloved Nintendo. After all, they are charging $250 for a slightly higher-specced GC. Is it worth it? That's up to you but stop pretending like they're looking out for your greater good. They just want your cold, hard cash just like any other company.

That's great you don't like shooters. Many don't and that's fine. But if you think Bungie walked into Halo with the idea "we're going to make a generic shooter funded by Microsoft", you should just shut the hell up right now because it's blatantly obvious that you know very little about the history of gaming.

/end rant

I swear to God, I don't know which group of fanboys is most annoying around here. I think it's a toss-up.

Oh, I know a lot about the history of gaming, as I am 27 now and have played video games for 20 years. I just happen to disapprove of war games. But I won't start arguing about that, I've long given up on that. Especially if my "opponent" is from the US, then it's completely futile.

Well, I'm 30. So I guess I have you beat. *sigh*

If you were that "into gaming history", you would have known that Bungie was originally a Macinotosh developer and that they were hyping Halo as a Mac platform based off their Marathon game.You would also have realized that Halo at the time was breaking boundaries of distance, open space, and general open gameplay. It was also a computer game at the time.

Then Microsoft bought them and turned Halo into an Xbox game right before the original game was to be released.

But I guess somehow Bungie just made a "general shooter funded by Microsoft" and called it a day despite the fact that they had been working on the game for two years before MS even bought out the company.

And BTW, your comment about war games and US citizens only reeks of ignorance. How about actually making an argument? I'll play, bitch. If you make generalizations about an entire country of 300 million people, I'll be more than happy to argue, you ignorant bastard.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Kwaad said:

You wanna lable me as a sony fanboy, like everyone else, that's fine. I have owned every console nintendo, sony, and soon, once I get a 360, microsoft have ever made. Including handhelds. I bought 2 DS close to the DS launch, I bashed the PSP, I criticized it, made fun of it, said it sucked. However my DS lost it's 'cool' factor rather fast and after that I stopped playing games on it almost completely. I still had faith in nintendo. I hadnt realised they said F* you kwaad, we only make games like Big Brain now!

I waited in line for 13 hours to get my Wii. I got a 2nd Wii to give to my brother so we could play games online together!

About 20 hours after that, I realised I made 3 mistakes.

1. I waited in line. Not for you agian nintendo, not untill you start catering to my needs.
2. I got a Wii. It's not made for me. The games are made for a casual gamer, not me.
3. I got a Wii for my brother. He never opened the box, and gave it to his friend for his birthday. He saw mine once, and said. "That cost 250$?!?!?!"

So far, both my PSPs see regular use, my PS3 is on 24/7, and soon here in a few months, I will have 2 of them running 24/7. My Wii hasnt been turned on in nearly a month, and it was turned on to format it becuase someone was gonna buy it, but found one at wal-mart. (luckily we called before I formatted it) EDIT: And for the DS, I would say my DS was last on 4 months ago, and my wifes about 2 months ago.

I don't think you're a fanboy, if that's your taste, no problem. I'll be waiting for some more games before I'll get a Wii, too. But I don't think Nintendo will ever stop making their big, epic games, and that's what I'm in for. I'm one of those infamous gamers that buys about 5 games every generation :)

You really cannot say that there's no good games on the DS, though. My girlfriend bought a DSL last year, and there was a lot of good stuff so far. And I'd say I hardly know 5% of all DS games.

But here's one thought that always crosses my mind when read a "fanboy" discussion: It all comes down to your taste in games. If you are enjoying the PSP lineup and I'm not, it's completely pointless to argue about that; other way round for the DS. I think the "fanboy" term is being overused. To me, a typical fanboy situation is (for example) people claiming that a multiplatform game looks waaay better on the PS3 / X360 when in fact you need a magnifying glass to notice any differences. Or Sony / Microsoft fans bashing each other when in fact the lineups are very similar. A shooter fan e.g. will be happy with an XBox as well as on a Playstation, why not admit it? 

On the other hand, where's the point in telling me (hypothetically, I know you didn't) I should accept that the X360 is the ultimate gaming console, when in fact I wanna play Mario + Zelda games? Refusing to do so does not make me a fanboy, I'm a fan.

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 

Sony is hated because they took the most anticipated console of all time and turned it the most hated.

"Oh here's the successor to the PS2, bet you want it huh? Oh sorry, you only work one job, guess you can't afford it I'll just have to put it up on this shelf where you can't reach it."

That and not everyone is exactly ready to jump to a new disc format so forcing the consumer to support Blu-Ray if they choose to buy a PS3 at a premium is somewhat irritating to your potential Sony consumer. Especially when there wasn't a Blu-Ray market to justify such a coupling at that point in time or a legitimate saturation of HD-TVs while on the subject.

"PS3 utilizes Blu-Ray better than any other disc format, its games wouldn't work on anything but Blu-Ray"

Isn't that because those games were made specifically to exploit the disc format they had no other choice but to, Blu-Ray, and in compensating for the disc format's short commings with unique solutions achieve nothing more than a cycle of working around Blu-Ray for the sake of supporting Blu-Ray not the gaming experience?

"But Blu-Ray is the future! HD-DVD sucks!"

Who said anyone has to choose one by default of the other's success or failure, HD-DVD is in the same boat of futility. Is Blu-Ray the future? Maybe, call me in another five years and we'll talk then, ok.

Now Sony is losing third party exclusives and boasting a line up of upcomming exclusives that rival the typical 360 game in mediocrity.

"Look, there's this new game comming out for the PS3, I have no idea what its genre, gameplay or replay value is like, but it looks pretty and I see swords and explosions and could easily convince any 13 year old that its a good game at first glance, has to be a killer app."

You see, to those not desperately trying to find a reason to justify the PS3 or justify one aspect of the PS3 they really like, there is really little inherent appeal or draw to this console.

rocketpig said:

Well, I'm 30. So I guess I have you beat. *sigh*

If you were that "into gaming history", you would have known that Bungie was originally a Macinotosh developer and that they were hyping Halo as a Mac platform based off their Marathon game.You would also have realized that Halo at the time was breaking boundaries of distance, open space, and general open gameplay. It was also a computer game at the time.

Then Microsoft bought them and turned Halo into an Xbox game right before the original game was to be released.

But I guess somehow Bungie just made a "general shooter funded by Microsoft" and called it a day despite the fact that they had been working on the game for two years before MS even bought out the company.

And BTW, your comment about war games and US citizens only reeks of ignorance. How about actually making an argument? I'll play, bitch. If you make generalizations about an entire country of 300 million people, I'll be more than happy to argue, you ignorant bastard.

Ok, let's calm down a little. I wasn't gonna start a fight. Sorry if that sounded like a generalization, I hate those, too. I'm just a little bitter, because I've tried to discuss the issue of violent entertainment before; and there was NO tolerance for my point of view. To me, violence is not just another form of entertainment. And my impression was (from recent discussions over at Gonintendo and elsewhere) that especially some of the U.S. gamers were extremely pissed when I said I'd vote in favor of a ban for certain games, for example.

One guy went: "A ban is useless, I'm 15 and my mom will buy any game for me anyway, she says as long as there's not too much verbal abuse and no nudity she doesn't care if it's ultra violent." I'm not making that up. And there were several others saying similar stuff.

Other thing that irritated me: Did you see the "Army strong" ads on IGN? I thought they were absolutely awful, but that's one thing. What really bothered me is that they show them to kids on a gaming website. 

Now, I don't wanna generalize, and I do know that among 300 millions of citizens, there's a HUGE variety in views and beliefs. But war / army / weapons DO seem to be viewed more positively in the U.S. than they are over here. 

Around the Network
ElRhodeo said:

Ok, let's calm down a little. I wasn't gonna start a fight. Sorry if that sounded like a generalization, I hate those, too. I'm just a little bitter, because I've tried to discuss the issue of violent entertainment before; and there was NO tolerance for my point of view. To me, violence is not just another form of entertainment. And my impression was (from recent discussions over at Gonintendo and elsewhere) that especially some of the U.S. gamers were extremely pissed when I said I'd vote in favor of a ban for certain games, for example.

One guy went: "A ban is useless, I'm 15 and my mom will buy any game for me anyway, she says as long as there's not too much verbal abuse and no nudity she doesn't care if it's ultra violent." I'm not making that up. And there were several others saying similar stuff.

Other thing that irritated me: Did you see the "Army strong" ads on IGN? I thought they were absolutely awful, but that's one thing. What really bothered me is that they show them to kids on a gaming website. 

Now, I don't wanna generalize, and I do know that among 300 millions of citizens, there's a HUGE variety in views and beliefs. But war / army / weapons DO seem to be viewed more positively in the U.S. than they are over here. 

That's true. The American culture is somewhat embedded with violence. It's part of our nature. It's how we became a nation and it never left. But you can't take the ignorant comments of a 15 year old and extrapolate them over an entire nation. How many stupid things did you say when you were 15? I bet a lot. It's part of being an angst-ridden adolescent.

But just as I don't spout off how every European is a weak-willed pussy who can't wipe his own ass without consent from the government, you can't go spouting off that every American is an anger-filled monster who wants to spill blood on the streets.

Things are a bit more complicated than that and I hate generalizations. We may share different viewpoints on things but there's no need to start insulting each others cultures.

rocketpig said:

That's true. The American culture is somewhat embedded with violence. It's part of our nature. It's how we became a nation and it never left. But you can't take the ignorant comments of a 15 year old and extrapolate them over an entire nation. How many stupid things did you say when you were 15? I bet a lot. It's part of being an angst-ridden adolescent.

But just as I don't spout off how every European is a weak-willed pussy who can't wipe his own ass without consent from the government, you can't go spouting off that every American is an anger-filled monster who wants to spill blood on the streets.

Things are a bit more complicated than that and I hate generalizations. We may share different viewpoints on things but there's no need to start insulting each others cultures.

Now come on, I didn't do that. Really, all I was talking about was people on message boards, discussing violent video games. 

I'm the last person to be biased against people from other countries. I'm German, lived in Italy, my girlfriend is Chinese, my sister is getting married to her Spanish boyfriend, my 2 best friends are from Korea and France/Syria, and as a musician, I work with Americans a lot. Oh, and my grandparents originate from Czechia, Romania and Poland.

I think this is a typical case of transatlantic misunderstanding, I was not going to insult your culture.

ElRhodeo said:
Don't know it, I probably should, sorry. Shadow of the colossus: Played it, it's nice. I liked the melancholic atmosphere, too. But after 2 bosses you'll know what the rest of the game will be like... Do you really think it rivals, say, Zelda? Not every game has to be Zelda-esque, let me point out that. But SOTC is not one of the big games, to me. Okami was developed by Capcom, wasn't it? They just jumped aboard the most successful system, it could have been an XBox or GC game as well.

Hold on a second. "Ico" is one of the greatest videogames ever made. So is "Shadow of the Colossus". They are complex, wondrous game-worlds, which reinvented the jump-and-run puzzle game in the context of a mythic world which felt like a Tolkien fantasy world come to life. SOTC in particular needs to be played all the way through to the end -- it's a tragic, heart-breaking tale. "God of War" and "God of War 2" are both smashing epics, which reinvent Greek mythology in a new way (they're also subtle satires of the sword-and-sandal Hollywood genre).  You have to give Sony some credit: most giant corporations churn out bland, unimaginative crap. But Sony's game division has genuine in-house creativity.

SlorgNet said:

Hold on a second. "Ico" is one of the greatest videogames ever made. So is "Shadow of the Colossus". They are complex, wondrous game-worlds, which reinvented the jump-and-run puzzle game in the context of a mythic world which felt like a Tolkien fantasy world come to life. SOTC in particular needs to be played all the way through to the end -- it's a tragic, heart-breaking tale. "God of War" and "God of War 2" are both smashing epics, which reinvent Greek mythology in a new way (they're also subtle satires of the sword-and-sandal Hollywood genre).  You have to give Sony some credit: most giant corporations churn out bland, unimaginative crap. But Sony's game division has genuine in-house creativity.

I found an IGN review, and Ico definitely seems to be a good game. Just like Okami, I'd really like to play that. And I admit that I never finished SOTC. I played 4 Bosses, as far as I remember, and I was of course impressed with the visuals and the character animation. But it is also very linear - as linear as it gets, actually. Nonetheless, a refreshingly different game.

God of War sounds too martial for my taste. And recently I read about this stupid promotion party Sony held for GoW2, where everybody got dressed as ancient Greeks: They slaughtered an actual goat and asked journalists to stick their hands inside the opened animals belly or something like that. I got really upset about that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=451414&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

ElRhodeo said:

Now come on, I didn't do that. Really, all I was talking about was people on message boards, discussing violent video games. 

I'm the last person to be biased against people from other countries. I'm German, lived in Italy, my girlfriend is Chinese, my sister is getting married to her Spanish boyfriend, my 2 best friends are from Korea and France/Syria, and as a musician, I work with Americans a lot. Oh, and my grandparents originate from Czechia, Romania and Poland.

I think this is a typical case of transatlantic misunderstanding, I was not going to insult your culture.

Fair enough. Now let's move on and start making fun of Sony again.