By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Age of Conan DX9 vs DX10 at GC2008

GC 2008: Comparative Screens of DX9 versus DX10 in AoC

Ya, dx10 actually looks a lil better than dx9, but not so much. I will not buy vista for such a difference.

Around the Network

All those effects shown can be done in DX9...the one comparison had DX9 with HDR off and DX10 with HDR on...of course the HDR enabled picture will look better! And almost all recent games have HDR, with or without DX10...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

well all the effects can be done on xp, its just that i think microsoft are getting involved and asking them to add extra shit in the dx10 version and cut back in the xp versions.

but i will not let microsft or any of the developers bully me into putting that shit back on my computer

Isn't there a hack to get DX10 working on XP?

JaggedSac said:
Isn't there a hack to get DX10 working on XP?

There shouldn't be a Hack. MS should just release it. You make a new operating system so that you can improve memory management, file systems, improve UI, etc (Vista does none of these, maybe the UI).

You don't release a new OS so you can throw features that should continue to be supported in your other currently supported OS, and say "See, you need our new shittier OS to get those features).

Want me to buy Vista? Make a better OS. Don't artificially inflate its value.

I hate MS marketing strategies with a passion. Another example, is we use SQL servers at work. You have to buy a contract, and the 3rd year (for the same software) cost more then the 1st year. They do this, because they know it's more painful for you to change architectures 3 years in then when you just buy something.

Slimy bastards. 

Around the Network

There's Windows 7 that's in development along with DX11 too.

Of course, DX10 isn't enough to get me to waste money on Vista. I've been fine with XP and I'll see what happens when the next version of Windows and DX11 comes out.

Remember when they made Halo 2 Vista only and tried to get game manufacturers to stop supporting XP? That was pretty funny, I think Halo 2 is STILL the only Vista only game.

You'd think after what? 6 years of development? That MS could make a better operating system, but I find myself trying desperately to find my XP professional codes to go back. I can't count the number of weird memory errors in games (most notably AoC, it was so bad I had to stop playing) and other problems with Vista. I have to confirm every action or get equally annoying pop ups for disabling the confirm system, 2 GBs of my RAM is eaten by....nothing, random crap leaving less then half of my 4GBs open for use, Direct X is kinda pointless because I have to turn the settings down in most games to get them to work with the memory issues (high res graphics take up extra RAM).

I think every Vista PC should come with a Satan Inside sticker mandatory. Thank god I have a mac so I'm only using vista for games, if I had to use that crappy OS 24/7 I'd go insane, maybe so insane I'd even try Linux for real (instead of just for a weekend on my PS3).

My dream is a world in which firefox, safari and opera become the main browsers, open office and google docs become the document standards, open GL knocks direct X out of gaming (its inferior in every way except MS propriotary nazism), Mac and Linux are the OS standards and Sony and Nintendo are the two video game console makers. Such a beautiful idea, maybe it will come true by 2020 (MS is already on its way down the tubes in the past 2 or so years, Google AND Apple are about to pass it up in market valuation within the next few years).

Speaking of hacks, what I REALLY want to work out (its semi functional now) is Wine which lets you emulate direct X and Windows on the mac and Linux OSes for games. That would be a great end run, if you could get Direct X 10 with mac and Linux but not XP, I would smile for days at that.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Impulsivity said:
Remember when they made Halo 2 Vista only and tried to get game manufacturers to stop supporting XP? That was pretty funny, I think Halo 2 is STILL the only Vista only game.

You'd think after what? 6 years of development? That MS could make a better operating system, but I find myself trying desperately to find my XP professional codes to go back. I can't count the number of weird memory errors in games (most notably AoC, it was so bad I had to stop playing) and other problems with Vista. I have to confirm every action or get equally annoying pop ups for disabling the confirm system, 2 GBs of my RAM is eaten by....nothing, random crap leaving less then half of my 4GBs open for use, Direct X is kinda pointless because I have to turn the settings down in most games to get them to work with the memory issues (high res graphics take up extra RAM).

I think every Vista PC should come with a Satan Inside sticker mandatory. Thank god I have a mac so I'm only using vista for games, if I had to use that crappy OS 24/7 I'd go insane, maybe so insane I'd even try Linux for real (instead of just for a weekend on my PS3).

My dream is a world in which firefox, safari and opera become the main browsers, open office and google docs become the document standards, open GL knocks direct X out of gaming (its inferior in every way except MS propriotary nazism), Mac and Linux are the OS standards and Sony and Nintendo are the two video game console makers. Such a beautiful idea, maybe it will come true by 2020 (MS is already on its way down the tubes in the past 2 or so years, Google AND Apple are about to pass it up in market valuation within the next few years).

Speaking of hacks, what I REALLY want to work out (its semi functional now) is Wine which lets you emulate direct X and Windows on the mac and Linux OSes for games. That would be a great end run, if you could get Direct X 10 with mac and Linux but not XP, I would smile for days at that.

I agree with you 100% (other than the console market. MS has pushed Sony to do things that are better for all of gaming).

I want Sony to make their tools available for all Open GL platforms, so Mac/Linux/Windows games could be made the same as PS3/4/5 games. This would allow game manufacturers to port there games, or make them from scratch, easily.

Would be good for everyone (other than MS)