By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help! Upgrading my system, is this a good deal?

Planning on buying this system from a local guy here in the city who is switching to Mac

I've been out of the loop for wuite some time, is this system worth $1100? Thanks to all who respond!

Antec Sonata III case with 550 Watt NeoPower

Asus P5Q-E motherboard

Intel E8400 Dual Core 3.0 Ghz processor, Zalman Q9500 CPU Cooler, 120 mm exhaust and intake fa

Dual ATI HD3870 DDR4 512mb videocard's in Crossfire

4GB Corsair Dominator Dual Channel DDR2 RAM 1066 Mhz with cooling fan,

250 GB Western Digital SATA II HardDrive

LG SuperMulti DVD Drive with Lightscribe

onboard HD Sound with Optical out

CardReader

19" LG Widescreen monitor.

Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo

Wireless 360 controller for Windows.

Around the Network

I would downgrade on the Video Card and just get 1 of them and get 2 x 750GB HDD
250GB is nothing these days

not bad... but is it me or is that power supply really weak...

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Seems like a fair price and I would double check the power supply compared to the video cards and cpu requirements.

superchunk said:
Seems like a fair price and I would double check the power supply compared to the video cards and cpu requirements.

I just used the wattage calculator on NewEgg, it turns out to be around 820w... the system is underpowered meaning that it cannot perform at 100%.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Thanks for the feedback, so I will have to upgrade the power supply at one point I suppose. Is that a difficult thing to do?

Other than that it seemed to me a pretty good deal for it components.

@woj - I'm not much of a storage hog. I have a fairly difficult time filling 120gb as it is.

That is one beastly machine! But like many above have stated; it needs more watts! Even I am running a 550 watt supply and it is being worked thoroughly despite the system being almost two years old now!
Very good motherboard and gpu, the only gripe I'd have is the relatively small harddrive but its no biggy really.
I say buy it, with a bigger power supply to fully make use of the brilliant hardware!

That's a really good machine for that price considering you also get a moniter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

pearljammer said:
Thanks for the feedback, so I will have to upgrade the power supply at one point I suppose. Is that a difficult thing to do?

Other than that it seemed to me a pretty good deal for it components.

@woj - I'm not much of a storage hog. I have a fairly difficult time filling 120gb as it is.

No. Just make sure it has the right amount of wattage, based on ssj12's note, and make sure it comes with the correct number of connections you need. i.e. the video cards, dvd-rom, and HDD probably all use SATA power connections. You can just google the individual parts and read their specs for power requirements and make sure the PSU has more than you need.

Then it is a matter of a couple screws and unplug/plugging in a few things here and there.

If hes buying the machine from a local guy I'd assume its been tested and works properly...

lmfao @ ssj12 saying that system needs 820W.
Aside from the extra video card, that machine is pretty much bare minimum parts. It makes total sense that a Antec 550W can handle that.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.