By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Left4Dead footage: Counterstrike Vs Zombies

DarkD said:
Are they gonna make a boxed version? My family is terrified of using their credit cards online.

Since when are HL2 mods this widely anticipated. There is about a hundred more where this came from you know.

This isn't a mod -- it's a retail game for PC and Xbox 360.

I saw some shaky-cam stuff from this earlier, and it looked like terrific fun. The zombies were 28 Days Later Style -- super fast and single-minded.

Around the Network

Yes, there will be a boxed version.

And this is not Zombie Master...which sucks. I don't want some random player controlling the zombies...I want a sophisticated AI Director telling the zombies where to go.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

And also, Source games work VERY well with old computers...so if your computer sucks, you can probably still play Left 4 Dead, and it won't look like total crap.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I wouldn't count on PC/360 online play though...how does Live Anywhere work?

Left 4 Dead is probably going to be distributed to Steam...and I can't see Microsoft working through Steam to allow PC/360 online play. I'd just get it for PC if I were you.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Why not call it a mod? It's a professional mod, but it's still a mod. It's using a modified copy of the source engine, but it uses the same mod tools to make it. I haven't seen anything which Third Parties could not do.

Thanks for the info on the boxed version, and my computer doesn't suck. It's not gonna be able to play games like crysis but I can get away with Oblivion on above average settings.

Would you want a PC/360 version. The PC guy would have a pretty clear advantage.

Around the Network

It's a mod in the same sense that CounterStrike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, and Team Fortress 2 are mods.

Yeah, they're modifications of the Source engine...but they're full-on games and should be accepted as so. We stick the "mod" title on less professional games usually. They can all be fun, but it's getting a retail release, which something like HL2: Dodgeball won't be seeing hehe.

And for PC/360, I agree. This game doesn't seem like it'd cater well to 360 gamers against PC gamers. But I wouldn't mind trying...they could dedicate some servers to cross-platform games, why not? You could choose to play against 360 gamers once in a while...if the 360 gamers had some auto-aim help, it could be balanced.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

BenKenobi88 said:
I wouldn't count on PC/360 online play though...how does Live Anywhere work?

Left 4 Dead is probably going to be distributed to Steam...and I can't see Microsoft working through Steam to allow PC/360 online play. I'd just get it for PC if I were you.

Valve uses Steam and would have to buy into Windows Live... Something they're balking at doing.

There will not be 360/PC cross-platforming on this game. And I'm happy about that. If I buy a console game, I don't want to walk into a room with an immediate disadvantage over the KB/M people playing. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

There are plenty of very well done third party mods, so don't be put off entirely.

Anyways, I will probably be getting this if I can find a boxed version of it. Along with Ep2, TF2, and Portal. They all look sweet. Trust Valve to make the best damned products on the planet.

Go Valve! And Turtle Rock, apparently.

Seriously, though, why do you need a boxed version? Then you have to pay taxes.  Valve's not going to steal your money...and there's a lot of good games you can download.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM