By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - My 2 cents: Xbox Live should not be a forum for politics.

badgenome said:

Well, at the risk of getting off-topic, it's not just Xbox Live. There have been various propositions to get increased voter turnout, including giving out free lottery tickets to newly registered voters. As if that's the problem with the USA- the winos who blow all their money on scratch-offs aren't making themselves heard at the ballot box.

But next to that shit, Rock the Vote is the stupidest thing evarrr. Shame, Microsoft! Shame!

Giving out stuff so people register is just wrong i'll agree.  It's buying votes in a round about way.  Even if you show no bias to a candidate just what you pick to give away and where you are alter the vote.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
I think it would be interesting if we implemented a mandatory vote as they do in Australia (otherwise you get fined). The Republicans would not be for it unfortunately...

Regardless of whether we do that or not, election day should be a national holiday. It only happens once every four years (two years if you count the midterms), so why the hell not? I would sure love another day off.

Are you suggesting that the majority of the country leans left and the only reason democrats don't win more is lower democratic turnout?

That seems like a spurious claim.

Fining people for not voting would just hurt the poor.  Even with a national holiday in effect.   The better option would be to adjust electoral votes via voter turnout every 4 years instead of based on total population.

DKII said:
I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you really think that most of these problems are limited to the under-25 crowd.

Yep.

Blissfully uninformed voting is a social disease unhindered by age brackets.

@DKII Voting stats disagree. It is the middle aged and older folks usually who are more informed. Granted this year more have shown support for both candidates (and don't even try to spin it towards Obama guys) and even Ron Paul, Clinton, and Barr who either aren't running and will not win respectively, but it is historically proven that the youth demographic IS minimum.

How do you judge who's informed and misinformed?

If you have sauce on that, I'd love to read it.

I think old people are just as dumb. I feel it in my gut.

Around the Network
gebx said:
halogamer1989 said:

I know right now a lot of you are saying, "What is this guy talking about? This will reach out to an expanded demographic of epic and unprecedented proportions."  Don't get me wrong this is going to reach out to millions of US XBL users but at what political cost.  Can you see a great outcome of random 18+ year olds making a vow to register and vote for a candidate based on, shall I saw, word on headset?  No.  It is in this forum that grave mistakes for our country's future can be made by the ill-prepared and misinformed.  A poll would be sufficient but until the maturity level of some XBL players "levels up", and you know some of the people I'm refering to, I cannot see this as a good thing.

Who are 18+ year old who play video games more likely to vote for?

hint: not the guy in your sig/avatar

So don't be upset if I think you're being a little biased.

Huh? I'd think it'd be the other way around.......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

halogamer1989 said:
@DKII Voting stats disagree. It is the middle aged and older folks usually who are more informed. Granted this year more have shown support for both candidates (and don't even try to spin it towards Obama guys) and even Ron Paul, Clinton, and Barr who either aren't running and will not win respectively, but it is historically proven that the youth demographic IS minimum.

I'm not sure if "informed" would be the right word to describe those who re-elected Bush Jr.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

The majority of Americans vote along party lines. Which more often then not are values passed down by parents to their children. Most Americans understand the values usually associated with a particular party. Most Americans are not typically well versed in the particular beliefs of each politician they vote for. A modest number of Americans will swing vote if the situation calls for it. They will side with the incumbent when things are satisfactory, and when they are not they retaliate and vote for the challenger.

Young voters are actually the best demographic for being informed, because they are less likely to have preconceived notions. Which means they are more likely to dedicate a greater degree of attention to the subject at hand. Further more young voters must be won over to a view point. Which means that a politician must appeal to them on the basis of issue, and prove a certain capacity for energizing that demographic. Good leaders can inspire young people to go to the polls, and if they can do that. They can most definitely inspire a nation to better things.

The irony is that the older a voter is the more worthless they tend to be. They vote for the same party they have voted for in the past ten elections. They no longer follow the debate on the issues. They are voting more out of tradition then an earnest desire to see some wrong righted, or to see a change in the governments policies. In short they are a political dead end.

I applaud these efforts the more young people that take an interest in politics the better. Their being more prevalent to judge on the agenda rather then the party is what brings about positive change. They live in this country to they should be encouraged to participate.

Perhaps my perspective is tainted, because of where I live. Where I live the voter turnout is unusually high. Basically over eighty percent of the adult population votes. In fact it is damn near expected that you are going to register to vote. On election day the locals will ask you if you have voted yet. When I was in high school they even registered students to vote. Basically I live in one of those places where voting is still considered a holiday. True story I was once actually asked to come into work for a few hours to cover other workers going to the polls.

More voters is always a good thing, because we do not live in a Democracy we live in a Republic. Our representatives are supposed to embody our communal values. They represent everyone, every ideal, and every value. The fewer that participate the more diminished the results are. The fewer people that participate the fewer that are living up to their responsibility, and taking ownership of their own destiny.

Bottom line I welcome everyone who stands with me at the polling booth. To me your age, sex, creed, race, or intelligence are not subjects of any measure. You are taking responsibility and that makes you a cherished person. After all if you have taken the time out of your day to do your civic duty that means by default you have something relevant to say.

Shame on you Halogamer shame on you.

As a teacher, I don't see how getting kids to notice that there is an election going on through Xbox Live could possibly be a problem. Just getting people to register is harmless. They still need to turn the box off and go stand in an hour-long line (or more on many college campuses and even local polling places).

If it gets a small percentage interested enough to actually look into what is going on, that's great. The other kids either know who they are going to vote for or aren't going to vote anyway. I don't see the problem.

I don't remember the exact statistic, but the young person who votes in his/her first election the first time he/she is old enough is something like 10 times more likely to be an active voter the rest of their lives.

It's a strange thing in America where the people least likely to live out the term are the people who vote the most (seniors) and the people who vote the least are the ones government will affect the most (young/poor). It's an odd world we live in. For better or for worse, depending on your political views, both the 2000 and 2004 elections would have been different in the 18-24 age group would have showed up in just slightly higher numbers in Florida and Ohio, respectively.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

@Dodece Shame on me? I'm just trying to say that sometimes people make quick, irrational, and uninformed decisions. that's all. And the last time I checked the US WAS a representative Capitalist democracy. China is a Republic and things are just swell there, right?