By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IMO, Twilight Princess is an utter failure and a complete disappointment

Wow, the OP sure ruffled some fanboy feathers around here, didn't he?

I really enjoyed TP. Not quite as much as the original or OoT, but close. I would probably put it third on my list of Zelda games, right in front of LttP. The series is getting a little tired, though. I'd like to see them expand beyond the mechanics of OoT, MM, and WW. I'm ready for something new.

But I can't believe how many of you blast the guy for stating an opinion. There are loads of thin-skinned and immature posters around here.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
DKII said:
bezerker - check out Zelda 2 on the NES, it was a side-scrolling RPG, very interesting departure for the series but apparently it wasn't as popular since they went back to the original format on the SNES.

Oddly enough Zelda 2 on the Nes is my favorite in the Zelda series, but then again Super Mario Brothers 2 is my favorite in the Mario series as well and that is apparently the black sheep of that series.  I didn't care for Mario 64 or Zelda:OOT either, I felt they were just more of the same but in 3D.  I considered trying Majora's Mask since I thought the concept of repeating a day would be interesting but never got around to playing it.

I kind of wish I could see what everyone else sees in those games (they get such wide acclaim) but I don't.  And in Mario's case it's not because I don't like platformers because I played Banjo Kazooie on the N64 and really enjoyed that game, so I'm not sure what it is.  It's almost like I prefer milk chocolate but Miyamoto makes dark chocolate games if anyone understands what I'm trying to say.

Wow... It's just strange to see somebody call the game a "failure". IMHO you are "disappointed" because your save was deleted in an "stupid" way (I'm really not wanting to be offensive) so you are something like "depressed" and lost motivation to continue playing it.

It's normal. REALLY! I, just for an example, have lost my savegames VERY TIMES. Expecially Zelda games. Ocarina of Time took me YEARS to finish 'cause of this. I begin to play, so "something happens" and I was stuck to beginning. Link to the Past the same. I mean, I have not finished this (SNES) game 'til now 'cause of this!!! But I've promissed to myself someday finish it. I've even bought it to VC waiting for this day.

This "event" happens (MY events, don't know about yours) because you have to do again things that are fresh in your mind because of a tragedy. Certainly if you have finished the game and enjoyed it, you would look at it another way. The solution: Wait some time (MONTHS) and give it another try.

About the linearity of Zelda TP. Yes, that's true, but in my opinion ALL ZELDA GAMES are. No side-quests, except "collect heart pieces", "collect bugs", "collect bottles", but that's no matter to me. I imagine how much time would take to finish Zelda TP if it have lots of other side quests. I mean, I'm a very "shortened time" guy, don't have all the time of the world to dedicate to only one game. Zelda TP is GREAT, LONG and all (and GREATEST and LONGEST then every other Zelda game). The best one for me, in an artistic, enjoyable way.

Sorry any "english error" in the post, I'm brazilian. If somebody don't understand anything, tell me then I'll try to clear it.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Twilight Princess is a great game. That being said, Ocarina in Time was one of the greatest games of all time, period. In my top ten of favorite games on any platform. Wii needs a timeless classic. The NES had Contra, Super Mario, and Punchout. The SNES had Castlevania 4, Link to the Past, and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. The N64 had Super Mario 64, Ocarina In Time, and Donkey Kong Country. The Gamecube had Metroid Prime, RE4, and Wind Waker. The Wii needs a blockbuster classic title that it can call its own. So far I have played some good games, like Red Steel, and COD 3, but I have yet to play a game that blew me away. RE4 Wii edition came close but it doesn't count since it's just a port. I am holding out that Super Smash Brothers, or Mario Galaxy, may be that title.

its a nice game, to bad the puzzles are always the same. always start with a sim ple sword and a wooden shield, later get a slingshot, then the boomerang, the bombs etc.

but humans like repeated the same things. watch comedy shows, the good jokes are repeated 5x in a row.

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.

Around the Network

Here's how I'd rate'em

1) Twilight Princess

2) WindWaker

3) Link's Awakening

4) A Link To The Past

5) Zelda II

6) Zelda
12) Ocarina of Time

(Blank Space left for the other zelda games I haven't tried, 3 follow up spaces for the CD-i games I've heard horror stories about)

Edit : Thanks Kwaad, I knew I was missing one. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

bezerker said:

I was trying my best to enjoy this game. I had gotten all the way to the Temple of Time and was finally starting to feel a little bit of excitement about the game.

Then, one morning while I was still half-asleep, I accidentally erased my entire game. (gasp!)

So, being a true Zelda devotee, I started the game over from the start. I've played for 2 hours now and absolutely can't stand going through this game a 2nd time.

I realize that I could use a gamesave from my SD card, but I just don't feel any sense of accomplishment that way. I don't want to load a game that already has all the bugs and poes caught.

I guess I just needed this forum to express my utter disgust at this game. This is the most boring of any Zelda game I've ever played. Yeah, the sound and graphics are pretty cool (nothing wrong there) but the storyline and objectives in the game are so ridiculous that you can't almost make it up.

I've never had any complaints with any of the previous Zelda titles. I think OoT is the by far the most superior of them all. I love Wind Waker and find nothing wrong with that game, despite all the complaining I hear from people on the internet (ie: sailing, Tri-Force search, finding the maps in each square - in fact, I wish Nintendo would rerelease this game with Wii controls...ala RE4).

Anyways, what is your opinion on this game? Playing through it the first time, I kept trying to tell myself that "this game is awesome", but it's not....it's really REALLY not. And I'm finding this out in a big way by playing through it the 2nd time. I have played every Zelda game numerous times and never got bored of them...but this one just puts me to sleep and I think the producers of the game should be put to sleep.

Just my 2 cents worth....now back to doing things of little or no importance. Ciao!

I didnt read this thread, but I did something similar... and the same feeling here too. Sorry.

Vanguardian1 - your list is incomplete. Link to the past is not on there, and becuase of that, you should bump everything down at least 1 notch. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Since entering into any of the "relevant topic-related conversation" is equivalent to bashing for or against Twilight Princess (which I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed), I'd rate the games as thus:

1 & 2. Ocarina of Time & Twilight Princess. I honestly have a hard time picking a favorite from the two.
3. A Link to the Past.
4. Link's Awakening.
5. The Minish Cap
6. The Legend of Zelda.
7 & 8. Oracle of Seasons & Ages.
9. The Wind Waker
10. Four Swords Adventures.
11. Four Swords.
12. Majora's Mask. I liked the game, but it was absurdly short.
13. The Adventures of Link. Interesting idea. Awful execution.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Congradulations bezerker you win the PH41L 4w4|2|}.

You managed to some how erase your save and you blame it on the game

Smashchu said:

Congradulations bezerker you win the PH41L 4w4|2|}.

You managed to some how erase your save and you blame it on the game

you know Smashchu, I was about to yell at you for being an idiot and tell everyone else to quit bitching because the guy can be dissapointed with the game if he wants to... but then I clicked the link. That's funny. Well played Smashchu

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.