By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will The Halo Series Be As Good As It Is Without Online Play?

I have a PS3 and i'm thinking of buying a Xbox 360 Elite by Christmas. I was just wondering would Halo still be great without online play?

Because games like Gears of War, Halo 1,2,3, Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Vegas and MGS4: Guns of the Patriot are all great but it gets boring after you finished the game 2-3 times.

Around the Network

Why do you say "withoutonline playing" since Halo 3 will have online playing ?

Time to Work !

No. None of the halo games single player have been very good in my opinion, sure it's ok but it was really just like any other FPS with just a little bit more polish. Multiplayer and online are where the halo games truly shine, no point getting halo without online.

He probably is saying that because he does not intend on getting LIVE. I have to disagree with you ZZetaAlec. The single player Halo campaigns offer a rich story, very smooth gameplay/control, and fun open environments w/ vehicles. Not to mention playing them co-op with a buddy sitting right next to you on the couch is a alot of fun. The game also has Normal, Heroic, and Legendary difficulty to up the ante after you've played through it. There are also many hidden "skulls" that are usually very difficult to find and have interesting effects on gameplay when you get them. All in all, compared to many other FPS, this one does have a very rich single player experience, however, it is a real shame that you cant play on LIVE, because there is no denying that this series is one of, if not the best, online console game in history.

Wii Friend Code - 8899 3885 0924 4281

XBOX LIVE - miasma42

Currently Playing..... Gears of War2, Tiger Woods Wii

You mean WOULD

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Halo 3 will likely be just another FPS with some higher-class production levels without online play. However, if you're going to drop the money to buy an Elite, why not swing by eBay and pick up a gold card so you can play online? They go about $25 for 13 months, typically. Xbox is an entirely new system when you use Live -- it's well worth the meager price.

I've got Halo 2 but not online.  I found it to be a pretty solid single player game even if the story wasn't so great. What I liked was just how non linear the game managed to feel despite being so...well... linear. It felt much more open and free then it actually was. I'm going to say go for it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

And I'm not sure how you're judging Metal Gear Solid 4 with these other games...it probably won't have multiplayer, and even if it did, the single player experience in MGS is superb. If that gets old to you, then every game must get old to you.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Halo is a great game overall. I love playing coop with the great campaign mode.

It is an unpopular opinion but I have always found both Halo and Halo 2 to be amazingly over-rated when you compared them against PC FPS ...

What Halo really had that compensated for this was LAN gameplay. Halo LAN play was good because it was easy to hook up and play with a reasonable number of people; there are lots of games I would rather play at a LAN than Halo but getting 16 people to bring their PC over to a house is a nightmare.

Halo 2 on the other hand compensated with online gameplay. Its online gameplay is no where near the best out there but it is the best online FPS for a console.