By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 success forces Valve to "re-evaluate" support for sony`s box

i hope

Around the Network

valve is tards

Xbox360 and Ps3 owner

I spit in your mouth at nite

I smell another EA "butcher" port in the offing

I guess that Gabe finally pushed himself away from the table far enough to scooch closer to the computer screen to check NPD and see that PS3 is outselling 360, and it's also doing it handidly in Europe.

No matter how much you don't like it, the fact is that you can't ignore a growing number of people, especially with numbers PS3 is pulling, and proving that it can sell hardware, it's foolish to not develop on the platform. Especially when it pulls ahead of the 360, not publishing is going to be out of pure-fucking-stupidity or stubbornness because you don't like the PS3.

ssj12 said:
blazinhead89 said:
Skeeuk said:

LGC: "50-50" chance of Left 4 Dead PS3

PS3 success forces Valve to "re-evaluate" support for Sony's box

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

Valve doesn't do PS3. The company's co-founder Gabe Newell isn't a fan, and hasn't been afraid to say so. But Valve's Doug Lombardi has told CVG today that PS3 support could be on the cards as the platforms recent success has raised some eyebrows.

"We're always evaluating what's happening in the marketplace and certainly something that's happening in the last couple of months is that Sony's managed to sell some boxes," said Lombardi.

"So whether or not you like developing for that platform, if they've got millions of people connected to that platform and buying their games you have to take it seriously."

He went on: "They're in the race now, so we've got to re-evaluate that for what it is."

PC is still its primary format, reaffirmed Lombardi, explaining that hardware similarities makes 360 its second choice.

But what are the chances of Valve opening its arms to PS3 and showing it some Left 4 Dead love? "50-50 right now," said Lombardi.

"There's zero chance of it happening this year. It's something that's being talked about right now as the game is gaining popularity and looking like it's going to be a hit."

A 50 percent chance one of the most highly respected PC developers will work on PS3? We'll take those odds.

---------------------------------------------

if left for dead turns out to be a good ip, then i feel valve will have to get the game over to ps3, even though big-fat-gabe doesnt like sony.

i predict left for dead is almost confirmed for ps3, providing left for dead is success on 360.

lol, so true man, He is truly an idiot for trashing PS3, Just as anyone is with trashing any platform. I see he likes eating crow also because of the money situation

whart money situation? Valve runs the most successful Digital Distribution ring on the planet. I'm sure they do not have a single money problem.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
KBG29 said:
Well at least someone at valve has their hear out of the ass. These PC 360 centric devs are funny in my mind. They have been given an oppertunity to learn how to program games on PS3 which will transition directly into future products, as Cell like architectures are the future of the PC market, yet they are continually hesitent on PS3 cause of that achitecture. Valve had better get the ball rolling or they will find them selves far behind many of their competitors that are already begining to understand development in a parrallel processing enviornment.

I thought Sony was getting out of the Cell business in many respects because they and their fans seem to have been the only ones that ever thought Cell-like architectures are where the PC market is going.............

At the end of the day there is no spinning it.  Superior versions of, and in this case exclusive versions of Valve games are just another by-product of Microsoft's intelligent decision to make the Xbox 360 PC developer friendly.

Actually, Sony is not getting out of the Cell business. They're getting out of the Cell manufacturing business. Which is a massive difference. They've basically completed the shift from doing everything (from design to implementation) of their chips to merely doing the design work and letting someone else do the building.

(And yes, Cell was not a Sony only product, but it was at the very least a Sony idea originally)

As to the second bit - I feel that if MS hadn't done so (made the Xbox 360 dev friendly) they'd not be in the position they are in today so it definitely payed off. Though obviously some of the 'superior' versions are mainly so because the ATI chip in the 360 is just well, better than the Nvidia chip in the PS3.

In a way Sony is being vindicated here as they manage to create console titles that are graphically on par or better (dependend on whose goggles you are wearing) than the best the Xbox 360 has to offer. Despite the PS3 having a weaker GFX chip. So in the end it turns out that the Cell fanboys where right - it does make a positive difference (with the caveat you have to put in more work to get that result).

Without the Cell there would be no titles that could compete with the 360 graphically. At all.

blazinhead89 said:
ssj12 said:
blazinhead89 said:
Skeeuk said:

LGC: "50-50" chance of Left 4 Dead PS3

PS3 success forces Valve to "re-evaluate" support for Sony's box

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

Valve doesn't do PS3. The company's co-founder Gabe Newell isn't a fan, and hasn't been afraid to say so. But Valve's Doug Lombardi has told CVG today that PS3 support could be on the cards as the platforms recent success has raised some eyebrows.

"We're always evaluating what's happening in the marketplace and certainly something that's happening in the last couple of months is that Sony's managed to sell some boxes," said Lombardi.

"So whether or not you like developing for that platform, if they've got millions of people connected to that platform and buying their games you have to take it seriously."

He went on: "They're in the race now, so we've got to re-evaluate that for what it is."

PC is still its primary format, reaffirmed Lombardi, explaining that hardware similarities makes 360 its second choice.

But what are the chances of Valve opening its arms to PS3 and showing it some Left 4 Dead love? "50-50 right now," said Lombardi.

"There's zero chance of it happening this year. It's something that's being talked about right now as the game is gaining popularity and looking like it's going to be a hit."

A 50 percent chance one of the most highly respected PC developers will work on PS3? We'll take those odds.

---------------------------------------------

if left for dead turns out to be a good ip, then i feel valve will have to get the game over to ps3, even though big-fat-gabe doesnt like sony.

i predict left for dead is almost confirmed for ps3, providing left for dead is success on 360.

lol, so true man, He is truly an idiot for trashing PS3, Just as anyone is with trashing any platform. I see he likes eating crow also because of the money situation

whart money situation? Valve runs the most successful Digital Distribution ring on the planet. I'm sure they do not have a single money problem.

The money situation where he can make more of it by releasing his 360 titles on the PS3 as well ;)

We dont need Valve. Funny to see them come crawling back tho

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Ahh stupid broken last post, anyway, the money situation where they make more money (Resonable amount) if they realease on PS3, sorry i worded that wrong

Seeing as how only one guy from Valve has gone on record as saying PS3 support could be in the company's future, it's still a bit early to be considering it as good as done. But clearly, the idea has already been a subject of discussion.

50-50 odds means they're wisely taking a wait and see approach after noticing sales of the PS3 pick up. It does not mean they're reneging on the words of that Other Guy at Valve who may have carelessly written off the platform prematurely.

So long as the PS3 continues to pick up its user base, the odds of support will improve as well.

Although at this point, I'm not even convinced LFD is necessarily a "must play" game. A demo would help quite a bit, but right now, the main thing it seems to have going for it is hype and the reputation of one of the better PC developers.