By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you know the lyrics to your country anthem?

I know the first verse of The Star-Spangled Banner (as do most Americans), but only part of the next two verses since they are rarely sung (most Americans probably don't know they exist, much less know the words). I could also probably do all of O Canada and yes, of course, the Royal March :)

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network
Cougarman said:
i have to say i don't the lyrics of the British anthem, but i was not born in UK.

You really don't know the words to "God Save the Queen"?

Heck, I know "O' Beautiful", "God Bless America", I even know the words to "Hail to the Chief":

Hail to the Chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing / He is the chief so everybody hail like crazy.

Hail to the Chief, if you don't I'll have to kill you / I am the chief, so you'd better watch your step, you bastards.

;)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Yeah I know my country's anthem, and O Canada too. Actually I could sing the Inno di Mameli (Italian anthem), La Marseillaise (France), Star Spangled Banner, La Marcha Real (Spanish anthem, though this one has no lyrics), God save the Queen, the Advance Australia Fair, and 君が代 (kimi ga yo, Japanese anthem).

Oh and I forgot the Olympic anthem, but that's another story.

steven787 said:
Cougarman said:
i have to say i don't the lyrics of the British anthem, but i was not born in UK.

Heck, I know "O' Beautiful", "God Bless America", I even know the words to "Hail to the Chief":

Hail to the Chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing / He is the chief so everybody hail like crazy.

Hail to the Chief, if you don't I'll have to kill you / I am the chief, so you'd better watch your step, you bastards.

;)

i usually hear it when england soccer team play, but i dont really pay attention to the lyrics.

oh i know the american anthem half of it by heart how shameful is that?

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Hell yeah...

Around the Network
Cougarman said:
steven787 said:
Cougarman said:

;)

i usually hear it when england soccer team play, but i dont really pay attention to the lyrics.

Between my research and my job, I've learned why foreigners (I know you guys hate that) know so much about the States... It's everywhere, TV, Movies, Games, Magazines, Music, etc. etc. etc.

Plus the words are official, while the British anthem doesn't have official lyrics; the U.S. anthem is usually sung while many countries are usually instrumental.

Australians da da daaaa da da, for we are young and free. Something, something, something Advance Australia Fair etc.

steven787 said:
Cougarman said:
steven787 said:
Cougarman said:

;)

Between my research and my job, I've learned why foreigners (I know you guys hate that) know so much about the States... It's everywhere, TV, Movies, Games, Magazines, Music, etc. etc. etc.

Plus the words are official, while the British anthem doesn't have official lyrics; the U.S. anthem is usually sung while many countries are usually instrumental.

I think that has to do more with "good" education and being more open.

konnichiwa said:
steven787 said:
Cougarman said:
steven787 said:
Cougarman said:

;)

I think that has to do with good education and being more open.

Knowing more about the U.S. than their own country?

In all seriousness, knowing stuff like foreign national anthems (guilty) is hardly a good education.

Foreign education systems are based scholastics. U.S. education is based on critical thinking.  Everybody (including Americans) always has so much to say about how bad education is, but people with American degrees are in demand all over the world.  Go figure.

hah our prime minister doesn't even know the lyrics :D
When he was asked to sing our national anthem a year or so ago, he sang the french one. Really, nobody in Belgium gives a fuck about the anthem.