By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A crumbling tower: Sony lays siege to the 360's weak spots

Kyros said:
it fails to see that 360 has a much broader library, and more quality exclusives

I had this discussion once and while it is still true that the 360 has a bigger library than the PS3 the advantage is melting fast(in relative terms) and most of the titles are first-year games of questionable quality. (And some pearls like Halo3, Mass Effects and Bioshock of course ).
And for exclusives 2008 the PS3 is at least even and Microsoft will need some HUGE news for 2009 to counter even one of the holy trinity God of War3, Killzone2 and Gran Turismo 5 (unless GT will come 2010 but then I will scream)

But that's not the point even with the bigger library the PS3 does outsell the 360 and to be honest for good reason. 90% of all games are multiplatform anyway that look meanwhile at least as good on PS3 as on 360. And build quality, media functionality, online features that are now pretty much the same as on 360 but free and some nice features like the exchangeable HD make the decision easy. I think the only reason for buying a 360 are if you have lots of friends on XBox live or if you absolutely must play Halo3 or Gears.

Please tell me the word Killzone didnt come up just after the phrase "holy trinity?"

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I'm not going to debate the article's point. That's no longer my style. I will say this: As awesome as the PS3 is, I haven't turned mine on in about a week (I tried a couple trophies in Uncharted, but couldn't bring myself to play through it a second time). My Wii and 360 get played daily (admittedly, the 360 games I play are often available on the PS3).

I didn't pay $600 to bash the PS3. This is just the way things have turned out. The PS3 may be gaining ground, but in my opinion, it still hasn't justified it's existence.

In the sony vs microsoft console war all you need to imagine is marketshare.

Marketshare in 2005 - 70% sony - 15% microsoft

Marketshare in 2008 - 30% microsoft - 22% sony

Analysts can pretend they see the future all they want, but this is reality.

Some good points, but even as a PS3 owner it felt biased to me (for Sony) even though much of what was said was true it used languague and context to make things seem even better for Sony and worse for MS.

One thing though, if MS start to look like they're copying (i.e. trailing) with stuff like Lips and Avatars and fail to drive increased sales then there's going to be a lot more articles like this, as after launching first is MS does start to falter vs Sony in particular its going to come in for a lot of flak from gaming journos, etc. Not saying its right just stating that's what will happen.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Just to bring some ligth to the topic
X360 this year- 4,783,612
PS3- 6,278,654

Ps3 is already ahead. If both were realeased at the same time, Ps3 would be ahead in the sales by 3 million units, if the sales history were the same. And wii is in another level. While is without a doubt the weakest console( in terms of grafic and processing power), it has conquered the non gamers along with the nintendo fans with their new joystick. But it´s another niche. There are plenty of games that are only viable in the x360 and ps3 that probably will convice some ( even "some" it´s a big number) of the wii owners to buy another plataform, not trading, but complementing. SO they can play Mario Kart or wii sports and also get a bite of MGS4 or Halo3.
But I think that microsoft is already losing and while GearsoW2 will probably give a boost in the x360 sales, the ps3 holy trinity may finally turn the table( I for once may get GoW3 and GT5).

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
aavidbacon said:
There are plenty of games that are only viable in the x360 and ps3 that probably will convice some ( even "some" it´s a big number) of the wii owners to buy another plataform, not trading, but complementing. SO they can play Mario Kart or wii sports and also get a bite of MGS4 or Halo3.

Ha ha!

I used to remember a time when some thought Nintendo would be content to be the console gamers bought with some of the leftover money from their X360 or PS3 purchases. How times have changed...

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

Yea just like they did to those crabs right. Ya know the one that was accurate to Japanese history and they hit their weakspots for massive damage. Yea when talkign about anything Sony "weakspot" is not a word to use haha.

My problem with this article is that it's not an article, it's an editorial. He's using facts and opinions to prove his points. That makes it look like something mrduckbear would write to start a discussion. It's really not the level of Ars. No wonder it has so many diggs as it's what Sony fanboys want to hear.

The truth is that while Microsoft has a better lineup of games, the PS3 is still gaining momentum if only because many people don't want to buy a 360 to support Microsoft.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Geez that article was a total mess. "Microsoft bet on the wrong optical format" is as wrong-headed as can be, considering that using Blu-Ray would have bumped the price of the 360 up a few hundred dollars. Turning the Battle of the Exclusives into Halo vs. Metal Gear is silly in and of itself, but even worse for this article is that that battle clearly favors Halo.

As to Home, its "silver bullet" status is something that's more fantasy than reality, at least if we're talking about moving consoles. And since when is Little Big Planet the Next Big Thing? Teh internets knows about it: no one else really does.

The paragraph where the author tries to cherry-pick reasons why the 360's big holiday games won't be all that big (now that we have the $180 Rock Band, karaoke is finished!) just seems desperate. And the sentence where he implies that Microsoft is essentially the Halo Machine might be a widely repeated meme, but that doesn't make it true.

Here's a sentence that really got to me though: "The PlayStation, on the other hand, is damn near rock-solid. Microsoft has to start getting the word out that it has fixed the reliability problems; pretending like this issue never happened is not the solution." Substitute "Microsoft" for "Sony" and "PlayStation" for "PlayStation 2" and you've accurately described the last generation. May I suggest that the author is now officially pulling stuff out of his a**?

Then there's the last paragraph before the conclusion, which was a nice way to cap the article off. Apparently its multi-media capabilities that sell consoles, not games and stuff. Someone needs to tell that to Nintendo ASAP; just think how much more money they could be printing if they followed that mantra!

Ayayay. If you're going to pretend to do some analysis, at least fake going through the motions of objectivity and rational thought...

Well it seems to me that the ps2 and the 360 and the xbox are all the same gen. So what if the 360 had wirelesss. SO DID THE STUPID PIPPIN CONSOLE. and the pippin came out during the ps1... The live was new but just more lik ean udpdate, sonyhas proven that by completely updating their live constantly. Look at Home for example.