By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DS camera on the way.

gameboy color had a camera i think

Around the Network

Ign story:

"Ever since the original DS was launched, there's been speculation that its GBA slot could be used to host a camera. Now, all that is set to come true in Face Training, a collaboration between Intelligent Systems and beauty expert Fumiko Inudo.

Seriously, we're not even joking. Nintendo is releasing a game that teaches people (mainly women we imagine) to exercise their face by moving certain muscles. The bundled camera displays a real-time video of your face on the bottom screen so you know you're moving the right muscles.

Not a lot is known about the camera at the moment, apart from the fact it's white and it slots inside the dual-screen handheld's GBA cart. There may be some bad news for original DS owners though: the size of the camera - and the way it pokes out the bottom of the slot - implies it's only for use on DS Lite.

Otona No DS Kao Training launches in Japan on August 2 and we're already twitching our faces in anticipation."

And yes, GB had a camera AND a printer.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

well its quite fun for games, but the use of it as a camera like the psp has its useless because a phone makes already 3 megapixel photo's wich u get free on a new (dunno the english name but u pay for it every month).

but it would be nice playing a fighting game with my own face on it. would be fun to beat myself ;)

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.

As i recall, Perfect Dark for the n64 had a face-mapping feature at some point in development. So did a failed 64DD title. So it might be possible for Nintendo games to use such a thing.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

all the more reason to upgrade my supercard to a slot 1 only device. The damn thing is a bloody pain to unplug but luckily I don't really bother with GBA games.

finally, a use for that GBA slot.

I hope it's used for online video chat (although I suppose the wifi on the ds might not be sufficient.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Were would the camera be placed any way? I think this is a false roumer the ds cant have a camera, it doesnt have any ports to place the camera in.

dude, read the damn article

it's like, the second sentence. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Perfect Dark indeed had a face mapping option but it was pulled because of the German regulations on games. We already had issues on violence in games back then, the basic idea was that 'you could now shoot your neighbour', in a game.

Besides i think the GameBoy Camera came out after the GameBoy Pocket, you probably think it was the color because of the printing options in zelda.

I don't think it will be a huge feature, every cell phone has one and you do not need a X MegaPixel camera for a DS ;). I don't expect games with it too, i've played a demo of a PS2 game that used the 'EyeToy' but it just looked where your hands were and it bored you after 3 min and irritated you shortly after because the recognition wasn't at 100%.

I would classify it as worthless, but with Nintendo you never know do you?

VonShigsy said:
As i recall, Perfect Dark for the n64 had a face-mapping feature at some point in development. So did a failed 64DD title. So it might be possible for Nintendo games to use such a thing.

hah yeah. nintendo realized "oh wait, maybe people SHOULDNT be shooting their FRIENDS in the FACE with a GUN"... they saw the lawsuit waiting to happen

when i played trace memory, i thought a ds with a cam would be eventual. didn't think it would be this soon, however.

Face training seems like a really dumb idea to me... Watch it sell millions...