By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January France software numbers

ConorON said: Really? I thought demand for Wii was going to be catered for.....especially for the NA region. Nintendo must be pleased demand is so high...Christmas was crazy here. I also find it amazing that the PS3 is availdible....clearly not what Sony are looking for.
Yep. Wii is still VERY difficult to find here. I want to get one (must be Best Buy because of Christmas gift cards, even though Best Buy sucks) but haven't yet come across one. Granted, I don't think it's worth camping out all night to get one so I haven't gone that route, but unless you happen upon a shipment arriving or some other luck you just have to wait at this point.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network

Low sales vs japan is easily explainable because of _higher games price _half population _PC games (smaller proportion than germany though) No surprise France is Nintendoland since Japanese culture is huge here (2nd market for manga and anime).

elprincipe said: ConorON said: Really? I thought demand for Wii was going to be catered for.....especially for the NA region. Nintendo must be pleased demand is so high...Christmas was crazy here. I also find it amazing that the PS3 is availdible....clearly not what Sony are looking for. Yep. Wii is still VERY difficult to find here. I want to get one (must be Best Buy because of Christmas gift cards, even though Best Buy sucks) but haven't yet come across one. Granted, I don't think it's worth camping out all night to get one so I haven't gone that route, but unless you happen upon a shipment arriving or some other luck you just have to wait at this point.
Yikes! I wouldn't camp out either but still, that's pretty amazing. Personally, no shop over here (GAME, Xtra-Game etc) have any units, and demand is still massive. The actual hype is very much in Nintendo's favour: The PS3 has been met with complete apathy and at 660 euro I really, really think "SonyLand" is going to be "Nintyland" by the end of next year.

Che thogfair mo fhearg gan diolach?

guigr said: Low sales vs japan is easily explainable because of _higher games price _half population _PC games (smaller proportion than germany though) No surprise France is Nintendoland since Japanese culture is huge here (2nd market for manga and anime).
Add to that that less household are equiped with game consoles (I think it's something like 35% for France...) compared to Japan, US or the UK.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

It makes sense for Nintendo to ship more to America than Europe for a variety of reasons... 1. Nintendo had a LOT more success in America than Europe prior to Wii and DS. They have reason to expect stronger sales from America based on historical sales. 2. Higher cost in Europe further means that they can expect higher demand from America. Europe will catch up as the price comes down. 3. Nintendo is ruthless. Releasing more in America, where Sony has already launched, allows them to outsell Sony by more in the territory everyone is watching most intently, at least until the end of March. That said, Wii is still clearly on track to become Ninty's most successful home console ever in Europe... And also, the sell-outs are worldwide...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

For the desperate european people that are trying to find a Wii should come to Italy... Here the Wiis are collecting dust bunnies on the shops... Italy (unfortunately for us "real" gamers, not just fanboys) is a Sony stronghold and neither X360 or Wii are getting much appreciation... Example: Gamestop in Parma (where I live) uses 2/3 of space for Sony's stuff (PS2/PSP and their relative games (huge amount of second-hand games)), 1/4 for X360 and a little corner for DS's stuff. Wii consoles are nowhere, you have to ask the staff to get one (as well for any games) and you can't find second-hand Xbox or GC games anymore. Almost same thing at the local MediaWorld (Media Markt in Germany, IIRC), where there's a full shelve of Sony stuff, and the rest splitting the remaning place for themselves. Only DS's are selling better than other (past and present) Nintendo's stuff, but there's no craze on it, you can easily find it anywhere...

Be the Triforce with you!!!