By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's gonna become of the next gen consoles?

Right now the graphics for the PS3 and Xbox 360 are almost identical to real life, and in a few years time it'll probably look much better. But what's the next console's going to be like? you can't exactly say the graphics will improved substantially because right now in this generation of consoles it's already as good as it's going to get. (obivously can be better but not by a whole lot)

Microsoft and Sony are going to have to introduce some new and improved gismo for the next generation of video games (like Nintendo did with the Wii-mote), because I dought the graphics will be noticely better then this generation.

And you can pretty much do anything with the consoles of today, you can run linux on the PS3 and use it as a PC, or watch movies, listen to music, store pictures, watch tv shows, use the internet, play online gaming, download demos, sleep with it etc etc you get the idea

So what do you guys think they can do? there's really not much except come up with something new and exciting, perhaps virtual reality??? who knows.

Around the Network

any comments?

I hear people say that graphics don't matter and graphics aren't that important; however, the closer we get to characters in games being able to look as realistic as women like Paris Hilton, etc, the happier I get.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

i dont think the focus of next gen will be graphics. games are already expensive to make and look pretty good. with the success of the wii, they see they dont have to have the "best" graphics.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

If that is the case there won't be any new consoles after these. Seriously what other reason is there to make a console but to have improved graphics and sound. Even Nintendo made the Wii somewhat more powerful than the GameCube. And to the OP, did you see the NVidia demo that was posted here the other day, graphics are no where near as good as they can get.

Around the Network

Graphics will be better but I think it will be about different interfaces into the games instead of just the standard controller.  Like Tony Hawk will have a skatboard for you to ride (which I think will happen this round) and stuff like that

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Yes, but what does having to control a skate board game with an actual board controller mean to those people that like to play skateboarding games but have no ability whatsoever to do so in the real world? Would such a person have to jump, pull off moves, etc, on a board controller when the reason that they enjoy playing traditional skate board games with game pads because they allow them to not have to attempt such things?

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Who knows?

Maybe every console will hold back the graphics?

theshoe23 said:
If that is the case there won't be any new consoles after these. Seriously what other reason is there to make a console but to have improved graphics and sound. Even Nintendo made the Wii somewhat more powerful than the GameCube. And to the OP, did you see the NVidia demo that was posted here the other day, graphics are no where near as good as they can get.

its not that they wont have better graphics.   you just wont see as large a leap in graphics as what could be done.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur