By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - why linux???

@

nintendo792612

I have another way it's easy it's fast and totally safe here it is :

I love Nintendo too lol no let's get serious USE VMWare

Virtual Machine everything is working on the access memory and please be smart use Suse I like it so much.

Around the Network
ookaze said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Soleron said:

It depends on your needs. What do you mainly use your computer for?

The main advantages of Linux over Windows are:

1) Easier to install any software - over 20,000 completely free programs that are good or better replacements for many Windows applications are availible with one click - no installers and no download websites.

Unless you have to compile or "make" it yourself. If the program is not prepackaged in some format (rpm for example), it can be very time consuming to get things up and running.

In the same situation on Windows, you have... zero opportunity. You just won't be able to do anything about it, while on Linux you still have the ability to compile, so what you say actually has no validity in this context.

Besides, it's a very bad advice to compile anything on a distro. This is tedious, and is not the purpose of a distro at all. When you need sth that is not available and you have no Linux skills, the best thing to do is to ask the community for help.

You've never used Gentoo have you?  If you totally throw away the option of compiling and all the skills that come with it, you lose a good part of the freedom and configuration Linux gives you.  You also sacrifice a lot of knowledge that is very useful in running a *nix system.  Of course, the average user may or may not need that knowledge.  ^_^

2) Much faster than Windows.

This is a 100% bold-faced LIE. Linux is absolutely not faster than an XP setup and in fact it's often slower. The reason for this is that Windows uses a lot of prefetching of the sort that Linux decided to avoid for security concerns. What this means is that programs on Windows are often "snappier" than their linux counterparts in loading.

This is 100% true and what you say is a LIE. Linux runs circle around Windows related to efficiency and speed. Your prefetching doesn't explains why Linux is not faster. The free Linux desktops (Gnome, KDE) both support the feature of session save, where when you login, you get back every application opened previously in the state they were when you logged off. Which is why this "snappier" effect (which is not even true anymore, this is an at least 3 years old complaint) is irrelevant on Linux, as your app is often already open when you login.

Session save?  That's not even what I'm talking about.  Keeping all your apps running and saving all your them by suspending your session is not a fair compensation for having your apps take an extra second or two to load.

3) Zero viruses and almost complete protection from spyware

There is no such thing as "complete protection" as most computer-related maladies today are caused not by a hole in the system but rather the actions of a stupid user. That said, a stupid user is much more like to screw up an xorg/x11 setting in a Linux environment than get a malicious program.

It's pretty apparent you have only shallow knowledge of UNIX, or any Linux distribution.

The protection from viruses is inherent to the OS design. Unix and therefore Linux are virus prone. The only automated things that can get to a Linux or Unix system are worms and attacks based on exploits (holes in the system). There even were open-source viruses sites that warned that these viruses had no chance of working on Linux.

A "stupid user" will have a hard time even screwing up its xorg/X11 setting on Ubuntu actually.

The very same users that were deemed stupid on Windows like you're doing right now, never managed to break any of the Ubuntu (or formerly Mandriva or Mandrake) I installed for them in replacement of Windows.

Strangely enough, they weren't stupid anymore on Linux. They could even click every mail they had without fear of being infected, and then be called stupid because they *gasp* clicked on an email.

This "blame the user" to protect a flawed OS is sth I always despised, and it's a Windows only thing.

I think you'd be fairly surprised at my knowledge in this area, but you can find someone else to measure your e-penis against.

I will agree that *nix is more secure against viruses, however not that it's harder to break.  The fact that a Windows restart can fix certain stupid problems that a Linux restart won't is also a mixed blessing.  It's just so much easier to tell someone to restart their computer than walk them through fixing a Linux config problem.  ^_^

4) Free. Completely free. Major new versions of Linux distributions are relaesed every six months or so with more new features than a new version of Windows.

Free is good, but considering many PCs people buy come with Windows pre-installed (at a cost to them of course) and do not follow through the steps and hassle of getting it refunded, free is a hard argument to sell against Window's "free."

Whatever you say, Linux and most Linux desktop distros are still free.

5) Looks better than Windows. Search youtube for "Compiz". Wobby windows, transparency, multiple desktops.... much better than Vista, and thousands of free themes and icon sets that don't require hacks like Windows does to use.

Your last point is a mixed bag. For example, I hate the SuSE font setup and no matter how much tweaking I do it's never just right for me. Compiz/Beryl offer some pretty jawdropping desktop visual effects though. Multiple desktops are something I really like in Linux because they're right there out of the box and they work very well. I have some minor gripes but nothing really bad.

Overall, I recommend Linux if you have something specific you want to do with it. As it stands there are just too many things that I run into on a daily basis which require or simply work better on Windows to make Linux viable for me all the time and that's why I prefer a dual-boot setup.

If you have the time and desire, you may as well try it. Linux (and Open Source) is all about creating options and alternatives... and you can never have too many options.

Looks are a subjective matter anyway. I would never recommend Linux to someone because 'it looks better'.

Ubuntu doesn't use KDE, it uses Gnome, so the fonts problem is not a problem. I don't know why fonts are a problem on some distro's KDE as the underlying engine is the same as for Gnome.

It's not a font problem so much as I just can't find a clean font I like in SuSE.

Linux is always recommended, you can have countless reasons to try it or prefer it to Windows. It depends on what you want. Actually, the main feature of Linux, or rather GNU, as that's actually the OS name (Linux is just what we call the kernel, the core upon which the OS lay if you want), is freedom. There's also power, but that's when you're starting to know how to use an OS, which means when it starts being a tool and not a burden. GNU is based on freedom, and every Free Software is based on freedom. Open Source is sth not really defined and that's going downhill. But Free Software seems like it's here to stay.

As to why Linux?

The day you understand the importance of freedom in computing and the day you understand how powerful GNU is, you won't want to go back.

Until the next day when you realize that mission critical app isn't on it.

Most people run into Windows problems constantly, but put all their problems on the local geek that will lose countless hours of his time for free, to fix the plague of Windows problems. I suffered from this very situation until 2001 where I went Windows free, and said to all the people that called me that I didn't do any Windows support anymore, but that if they want I can install Linux and support it for them. A lot of them switched to Linux then. I received nearly no call anymore then, and when I went to see most of these people, thinking they threw Linux away, they were still using it! Actually, it never broke down, which is why they weren't calling me. Even when they had big problems like the scanner in their brand new printer/scanner combo wasn't working, or some Flash site wasn't working, they didn't call, they deemed that minor as everything else was working so well, while in Windows they were mindlessly clicking on so many error dialogs. What impressed me more was when I switched them from Mandriva (which uses KDE) to Ubuntu (which uses Gnome). I feared they'd loathe the change. Well, they all liked it and accepted it without problem at all.

So there it is, you can have many reasons as to why Linux.

Users tend to be pretty forgiving as long as they can get 90% of what they need done.  Linux usually does that 90% without a hitch.  ^_^

Gentoo is not a distro for someone not knowledgeable, sorry. Gentoo is several step above Ubuntu as to needing computer science skills. Actually, it's just one step below compiling everything on your OS yourself.
Gentoo is irrelevant here, you can't recommend Gentoo to someone that just want to casually try Linux.

Session save is actually pretty relevant, as every user touted this as a life saver. They all said it was far above Windows just for this feature : when they switch the computer on, everything is already there. They nearly never need to open an app, so the snappy complaint, which just comes from geeks anyway, is a moot point, if only it were true (that Windows is snappier).

Linux stays harder to break than any Windows. Which explains why so many servers use it (and Unix), and also explains why it was the sole OS remaining unbroken in the latest "break my OS" contest (which put Windows server, OS X and Linux servers in the mix). The fastest to go down was Windows, followed by OS X. They couldn't break into the Linux in time (several days, I don't remember how much exactly, 3 or 5 I think).
Of course, security is a process.

When a mission critical app isn't on Linux, people just will make it, as simple as that. Which is why it is used in the smallest wristwatch up to the most powerful computer cluster in the world. Crazy scalability and possibilities. That's what freedom gets us.
I'm Linux only since 2001 and have never looked back since. And I can do all the mission critical stuffs. I also puts it in big financial institutions for mission critical high load tasks, so I pretty well know what it's security state and efficiency is. It never let me down. Pretty amazing OS, that GNU thing.

I bought my laptop from Dell and it came with Ubuntu already on it. No windows for me. Getting my ipod to work though was tricky. I think all the extra software I've downloaded I've used a package manager to download and install for me. Very easy for my needs anyway.

Gentoo is not a distro for someone not knowledgeable, sorry. Gentoo is several step above Ubuntu as to needing computer science skills. Actually, it's just one step below compiling everything on your OS yourself.
Gentoo is irrelevant here, you can't recommend Gentoo to someone that just want to casually try Linux.

I completely agree with most of that.  Gentoo is a hobbyist distro or masochist one depending on who you ask.

Session save is actually pretty relevant, as every user touted this as a life saver. They all said it was far above Windows just for this feature : when they switch the computer on, everything is already there. They nearly never need to open an app, so the snappy complaint, which just comes from geeks anyway, is a moot point, if only it were true (that Windows is snappier).

If you want to keep everything running all the time.  I like to get rid of things I'm not using.  If I'm not actively using an application, I close it.  If I'm not using an application often, it gets uninstalled.  Saving a session with all the programs I use frequently running at the same time would be inconvenient for me.

Linux stays harder to break than any Windows. Which explains why so many servers use it (and Unix), and also explains why it was the sole OS remaining unbroken in the latest "break my OS" contest (which put Windows server, OS X and Linux servers in the mix). The fastest to go down was Windows, followed by OS X. They couldn't break into the Linux in time (several days, I don't remember how much exactly, 3 or 5 I think).
Of course, security is a process.

As a side note to this, recent versions of Windows Server, while not *nix level, are fairly impressive (at least compared to what came before anyway...).

When a mission critical app isn't on Linux, people just will make it, as simple as that. Which is why it is used in the smallest wristwatch up to the most powerful computer cluster in the world. Crazy scalability and possibilities. That's what freedom gets us.
I'm Linux only since 2001 and have never looked back since. And I can do all the mission critical stuffs. I also puts it in big financial institutions for mission critical high load tasks, so I pretty well know what it's security state and efficiency is. It never let me down. Pretty amazing OS, that GNU thing.

Server utility is old, but utility as a desktop is not for the average user is not.  This is where it has made significant progress in the last few years.  It still has a long way to go however.  It's often quicker and easier to pull up a terminal and make a change than to step through 5 levels of unintuitive GUIs. -_-

Around the Network

Someone's arguing that Windows is better than Linux even when we take games out of the equation?

ut-ohs!

On topic: If you're into computers, you'll probably like linux and at least want to do a dual boot or something. If a computer to you is just a utility that you don't want to learn anything about (just use only), you may like linux but not see any reason to use it over windows.

For me when games are taken out of the equation there's absolutely no question as to which OS I'd prefer, but it is different for everyone. Burn an Ubuntu live-cd, boot it without installing it, and see if you like it.

I've been using linux for about a year and a half now and I really like Gentoo (compiling is not a "negative" for me - it takes longer but it's easy), but I would never ever EVER recommend it to a new linux user. I started with easy to use distros, and moved up as I learned more.

edit: Also, don't try it on any consoles before becoming proficient with it on the PC.

Why Linux? Simple. By using Linux it'll force Microsoft to actually develop a GOOD operating system. Granted someone like me will NEVER use Windows EVER again, but for the many others it's all the encouragement the M$ camp needs to stop developing sub-par software.

The last time I used Windows on my desktop was about 4 years ago. I'll never turn back because I like the freedom Linux gives me, it gives M$ a big EF YOU, it's free, it gives me all the programming tools I need, and it lets me tinker with things to try and make things work. It's an ever learning experience and it's fun. :D

I am a programmer and we use Windows for development and Linux for our servers. This is pretty much the norm in businesses. I have no problems what so ever with either, I get my work done no matter what I have to use. If I were to buy a gaming rig, it would come with some version of Windows on it most assuredly. Until I have problems with Windows, I will not use it in my home.

epsilon72 said:

Someone's arguing that Windows is better than Linux even when we take games out of the equation?

ut-ohs!

Someone's posting with reading?

ut-ohs!