By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda game named 'greatest ever'

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has topped a poll of readers of Edge magazine and industry experts to find the top 100 games of all time.

The 10-year-old videogame for the Nintendo 64 games console helped usher in a new era of 3D gaming.

It is also one of only five games ever to receive a 10 out of 10 review score from Edge magazine.

Five of the top 10 titles were made only for Nintendo machines, including Super Mario 64, in third spot.

The full list of 100 titles has been compiled for a special edition of Edge magazine.

Tony Mott, editor-in-chief of Edge, said: "If you were new to video games and were going to go out and buy 100 games to make an instant collection, then these would be the games to buy."

He added: "Ocarina of Time is nearly 10 years old, but its position at the top slot in Edge's 100 Best

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6261546.stm

Good news for fans of the game I guess, and shows that old games can still be great. Btw, is this on Virtual Console, as I'm thinking of getting a Wii, and have *never* played this game (primarily cos I was 6 when it came out ). But I'm not going to buy an N64 just for this game (I have no interest in Mario, sorry).

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network

Yes it's available on the VC in North America.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Cool This story is also the most e-mailed story on the whole of the BBC news website...

Yea thats good to hear...cause Ocarina of Time was the best game ever for the Nintendo 64

The list is a joke, not saying Zelda 64 shouldn't be on the top, but the rest of that list is very hit and miss...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
The list is a joke, not saying Zelda 64 shouldn't be on the top, but the rest of that list is very hit and miss...

kinda agree there. at the end it says: "The five titles to have received a maximum review score from Edge are: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Half-Life 2, Gran Turismo, Super Mario 64 and Halo."

So you would have thought they'd all be in the top 5, or atleast the top ten, which GT clearly isn't...

It also says: "The list was drawn together in three stages - thousands of reader votes, combined with expert opinion in the games industry and finally input from Edge's own editorial team.

Mr Mott said Ocarina of Time was the reader favourite as well as the overall winner."

So, meh...

btw, it is still the "most e-mailed story"

I agree in tloz:oot as the best game ever made, it's my favorite game of all time by far.

but I also think that they left out great games such as gran turismo (not a fan of the game but is flawless), chrono trigger and metal gear solid, and they put games that didnt belong there like FFXII (there are better rpg's) and RE4 (it's good but not the 2nd best game ever made, probably the hype of the new version for the wii help to put it there).

and it's also kind of unfair put more than one game of the same franchise, imagine in five years a top ten with 3 zeldas (oot, tp & alttp) and 3 marios (nsmb, m64 & smw or smb3)

My definition of fanboy: An idiot that misses 2/3 of the fun.

Tispower said:
ckmlb said:

kinda agree there. at the end it says: "The five titles to have received a maximum review score from Edge are: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Half-Life 2, Gran Turismo, Super Mario 64 and Halo."

So you would have thought they'd all be in the top 5, or atleast the top ten, which GT clearly isn't...

It also says: "The list was drawn together in three stages - thousands of reader votes, combined with expert opinion in the games industry and finally input from Edge's own editorial team.

Mr Mott said Ocarina of Time was the reader favourite as well as the overall winner."

So, meh...

btw, it is still the "most e-mailed story"

But this ranking is from readers, and the reviews you quote are from the actual professional reviewers. The reviewers might put GT in their top 5 games ever -- we don't know, as this list isn't what they picked :p

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Rankings based on reader votes tend to suck as great games that weren't commercially successful get left out.

I'm not sure how Final Fantasy XII made it in. I'm guessing being a newly released game meant it got more votes. Not that I don't like Final Fantasy XII (it's an excellent JRPG), but a lot of people seem to disliked the game.