By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can someone explain why the 360 wont sell in Japan?

As I said in a thread quite some time ago, when i was in Japan and asked a few Japanese people about it, they said they don't much care for shooters, so there was still the image of the system being mainly for shooters at the time. I'm not sure how it is now that they have gotten and announced several more JRPGs and such. However, at the time, they could only name 2-3 PS3 games they wanted, and based on their answers, I thought up 2 xbox games to suggest to them and they would respond, "Oh yeah, I'd play that," but as people have been saying, they are getting an increase at least for the moment, so perhaps perceptions are being changed.

Around the Network
The Anarchyz said:
Foreign brands do well in Japan: The iPod is American, Windows is American, Nokia is from Finland, Philips is from Netherlands, even Dell computers do well there... And i'm talking about electronics, don't make me bring up fast food, clothing, etc...

The reason the Xbox is not a seller in Japan is more of a brand and marketing problem... They're trying to correct that with the massive JRPGs coming, but it's gonna take more than that...

The PS3 is doing regular because of the games mostly...

Incorrect. The Japanese like products that their home brands are not duplicating as well. If they were faced with two brands with same style American and Japanese, then they would take the Japanese one without breaking a sweat in choosing. Microsoft did a very smart thing with getting timed exclusivity on the hottest JRPG's. This way, it can boost 360 sales, where as the PS3 will definitely do very well when they attain such games. At the same time, this can throw off alot of loyal Sony fans who haven't yet chosen a system here and aboad and want the JRPG's now.