By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Easter Eggs in Windows

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

erm...what?

wtf?

care to elaborate on what i am looking at.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
care to elaborate on what i am looking at.

two bugs in the Windows OS

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Two of 8,636,632,7327,3,27623,632t,af,asrf,25,q2,ta, bugs. Cute though. D:

The CON thing has been explained multiple times already. It's been there as far as I can remember (95).

Con (case insensitive) is the name of the console device. That's not an Easter egg, nor a bug, it's by design. The error is a bit ambiguous though. Windows is trying to prevent you from creating a directory with the same name as a reserved word for a device. I don't run Windows Vista, but you should get the same error if you try to call a new directory "prn" (printer on LPT1).

You can use devices in a command prompt or MS-DOS window to redirect input/output to various different things as though they were files. For instance:
C:\>copy con myfile.txt
will create a new file or overwrite an existing one with what you type on-screen. (CTRL+Z terminates, by the way). And the command:
C:\>type myfile.txt > prn
Will print it.

The other "Easter egg" isn't even part of Windows.

sorry ssj12 but you fail. gurok +1.

Wasn't there something in Word that would type out "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps over the Lazy Dog" a number of times also?