By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3's unfair advantage to other blu-ray players?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10014283-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

Around the Network

if it was not for sony and the ps3 blu ray would be another betamax so i guess it is only fair that it has the most attention drawn to it out of the other blu-ray players

What? They are in discs (as the article said), so by logic, you already have a BD player, before you are buying the disc.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Um... these things are what marketing people are paid for.

Well I believe they were a big part in the creation of blu-ray, R&D wise anyway. Not surprising to me :) The PS3 took major hits on the market to get the format up and running, the industry probably knows this :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

no t really.
but if they want to compete.

they better release HDD powerd blu ray players at a sub 200$ price.

that will likely happen soon.

obieslut said:
if it was not for sony and the ps3 blu ray would be another betamax so i guess it is only fair that it has the most attention drawn to it out of the other blu-ray players

I'd say Laserdisc not Betamax.

Difference being Betamax had a pretty good following of techno and cinemafiles backing it until the new format (DVD) came out.

Blu-ray woulda ended up the same way (still has a chance of it.)

ChronotriggerJM said:
Well I believe they were a big part in the creation of blu-ray, R&D wise anyway. Not surprising to me :) The PS3 took major hits on the market to get the format up and running, the industry probably knows this :P

They hold the most of the blu-ray IP... at like 30% so yeah i'd say they probably had a big part in creation.

Sony created and owns BD, how is this an unfair advantage?

Kasz216 said:
ChronotriggerJM said:

They hold the most of the blu-ray IP... at like 30% so yeah i'd say they probably had a big part in creation.

Matsushita (Panasonic) actually holds more patents in Blu-Ray tech than Sony, iirc.