By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ask Gamestop: FFXIII, Fishy! Fishy!

outlawauron said:
Let it go. Let it go. It's time.

Around the Network

Don't worry Every TRUE FF fan will buy the PS version ;)

blazinhead89 said:

Whats a true FF fan?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Showertea said:

After a little research of the situation I have come across a few things that bother me. Many have bombarded the interwebs with their opinion on the matter. What I have found is....

Have the Fanboys Gone Crazy? Why are They so MAD?

http://www.psu.com/FFXIII-and-Versus-to-Fully-Utilize-PS3-Specs-News--a1911-p0.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor-smash/square-closed-mega-theater-confirms-ff-xiii-ps3-only-302669.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/this-page-intentionally-left-blank/no-final-fantasy-for-you-xbox-266191.php

-Firstly, it is articles like these that have fans of Sony and FF alike enraged about the whole situation. Sony and FF have been joined at the hip for a very long time. This is why the fans think of them together in such a way(Die Hards at least).   A loss of an exclusive is one less thing that validates one's purchase. I mean if Halo or Mario went multiplat after u purchased a system for it wouldn't you be mad. As A sony fan I believe the game is best on its system, to put it elsewhere is nothing but a slap in Sony's face. If all titles were available on all systems, the winner is predominantly gonna be the cheapest of them, as many only see a price tag. Halo was enough to validate many ppl's purchase of a 360 on RELEASE! FFXIII was that game for many on PS3. Many benchwarmers and 360 owners alike said "Phew! now I DONT have to buy a PS3 for it! YAY!" Which emplies the original plan TO purchase one.

It is completely feasable to be angry when many fan's pride and joy franchise lies to them TWICE in one statement.

1. They promised to be PS3 exclusive many many MANY times over.
  2. Promised to use full specs of the PS3, something me personally was REALLY looking forward to. Now I must live in a world without a FF that does this (this I can say becuz MGS4 did NOT use full specs of PS3 and developers stated it was not even possible to convert it to other formats, unless for PC).
  3. Hideo Kojima is full of hot air. I haven't seen anything for the PS3 that the 360 couldn't duplicate, except the so called 'In Game Footage' sony likes to show at E3s.

Hideo did not lie. When ppl talk about the PS3's tech one always thinks graphics, which is not the case.The game fills up a 50GB BD for cryin out loud. That kind of game cannot be duplicated becuz all that data cant be transfered in the correct portions. People always think oh they can just put it on 1 or 2 more discs. Wrong, becuz games like FFVII(4 discs) have to have the same data duplicated on all of its discs in order to run properly. The overworld map for instance is on each disc. MGS4 doesnt have an overworlds but small corridors and city streets, this data takes up as much room tho. To port that game on 360 you would be popin out discs every 5 secs in order to change rooms.

Fishie! Fishie! I really don't know what you're implying with the 'fishie fishie' theme. Are you alluding to shady dealings? Oh, wait, no, MS is probably just doing what they've always done, use their money to get people to publish on their system (Unlike sony, which doesn't do anything to secure exclusives)

Actually,I was. Good deduction. MS doing what they do best. Scam the customer to believingg they kno whats best for them and then when they have aliminated all threat they screw u over (Vista anyone?)

How Do We Know It would look any different?

http://www.psu.com/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-in-game-shots-revealed-News--a2523-p0.php

This is what a EXCLUSIVE FF game looks like. And yes, that is said to be INGAME graphics!

OH man! In Game! Awesome. It's even better than those Killzone 2 shots we saw from E3 '05. Oh, wait, it turned out those weren't really in game at all. My personal belief is that if a developer claims it's in game, then they're probably lying. They're not releasing the game for another ~15 months! And those screenshots are from january! How is the engine that polished already!

SE is not Gorrilla. They tend to tell the truth about these sort of things, recent actions aside. And maybe it is not that polished, but it does indeed exist. So they must of been testing out what it SHOULD look like. That means it is practical to allow that number of polys so far.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bff/final-fantasys-nomura-digging-that-ps3-304647.php

This also gives thought to what was FFXIII's true purpose at the begining.

Fishie! Fishie!

SE just wants to make everything even this time right?

Wrong! This was prooven to be invalid once FFXIII went multiplat. There is nothing "EVEN" about them now.

• Infinite Undiscovery:360 Exclusive
  • The Last Remnant:Timed 360 Exclusive(originally promised as simaltaneous release)
  • Star Ocean 4(originally put as Sony exclusive with no sign of defection, then all of a sudden becomes exclusive to 360?)
  • FFXIII multiplat (wtf)
  • FF versus XIII: PS3 Exclusive
  • So if full exclusives are one point and timed ones are .5 that puts us at....
  • 360:2.5 PS3:1.5
  • Not to mention the 360 would already be getting Tales games and others. There was no need to give 360 yet ANOTHER game to add to their arsenal to make things "EVEN".

If they wanted to be fair why did they not hold Last Remnant's release as they did FFXIII(a much bigger franchise which ppl have been waiting for for a looooooooooong time). Or for that matter, Why is yet another franchise synonomous with playstation,SO4, 360 exclusive? Why would Square choose a system that has an abismal fanbase for RPGs for some of there new titles(no JRPG on 360 has sold more than a mil yet)?

You seem to be missing the point. SE just wants money. Neither of the HD consoles have the population or fanbase to give them tons of money on their own. They don't want to sell games that cost 50M$ to develop to only 500K people. In fact, MS 'moneyhatting' is probably the only reason these games are being published at all.

No, I get the wanting of money part. I am not getting the wanting of MS's money(it is so dirty and stained with blood). If they were having money probs, which they are not dont u believe it, they could of had Sony publish the game. I doubt they would deny them(they did it for FFVII). And if they wanted more money from extended fanbases they would spread ALL there games to both consoles. But they dont, cuz they r in MS's pocket, even though  THERE FANBASE IS ON THE OTHER SIDE! This all plays into MS's hand and no one elses.

Oh, and I agree that no JRPG has sold more than a million copies. But has any PS3 JRPG sold that mythical number? Doesn't the PS3 have, like, 1 JRPG?

Thats becuz THERE IS NOT ONE JRPG ON THE PS3! that is the PS3's pride and joy genre. Majority of their past system sales attributed to these sorts of games. I researched that too. MS has been swooping them up left and right with timed/excluisive deals. MS got to them first. This is stupid though becuz yet again MS lacks the fanbase to support a jrpg, thats sony's thing. I do blame sony a tad for not getting more developers to pump out some jrpg tho.

Why the sudden change with SquareEnix Now?

Now this one is a toughy but I will try to answer. Firstly it makes little sense for SE to just decide to do this now. This is the kind of decision a company makes when a product is not selling as expected. But the PS3 is! Wha? Dont believe me, check the front page. The PS3 has been outselling the 360 every month since christmas with the burning potential to constantly do better. If they were having doubts, why not just say that from the get go. It is ludacris to change plans now this late in development, when the stakes were at their highest for Sony and SE.

Saying 'The PS3 is selling better than the 360' is a stupid thing to say. That's like saying 'I'm faster than a man with no legs.' Both systems are selling at around Gamecube levels. The PS3 isn't selling like expected. All the analysts expected the PS3 to sell like the Wii, netting 30 million consoles worldwide and a majority of the marketshare. It has half that, maybe.

Most analysts are out of touch with a consumer. Even though it is less than expected it is indeed happening. One cannot realistically expect to find PS3s selling like the Wii when it is like 2 times as much. Thats crazy talk. And the PS3, as we all have noticed, is purchased on the promise of the future. Most were waiting for that one special game to make a purchase (shoot, I waited til Heavenly Sword to get one,60GB too).

Microsoft says they did not Pay for it? Right?

Not quite what they said. I believe they were a tad decieptful in their presentation. observe

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2008/07/18/sony-microsoft-bought-final-fantasy-xiii.html

if you look closely Tretton makes a passing remark about MS and their infamous dumptrucks of cash. This is known as MS's trademark already. We KNOW they have done it in the past to get games to go exclusive/timed exclusive for their system(Bioshock, Oblivion,Lost Planet, Eternal Sonata, etc). Why is it so difficult to believe they have done it for a title that holds more berring than all those stated titles combined? So MS will pay for the small fry but not the big cahuna(SP?)?

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=13863

Here is a rep from MS talking about the so called "Rumors". If you pay attention to this guys words, he never actually denies that they paid for it. He simply pushes the conversation into a different direction to steer clear of the topic even though he brought it up(Nice move if I do say so myself).

If Sony says they did, they didn't deny it, and Sony has stock in SE meaning they know where their income is coming from, than all roads point to moneyhatting. The evidence is there.

Then why didnt sony do something about it you ask?

Well SE says the deal was recent, but how recent? Sony has access to SE's financials. MS has not even sent the dev kits for the port yet even now. Do we really think Sony would just stand by and let their BIGGEST exclusive slip by? I think not!

My geuss is MS strategically planned the timing just right. Maybe even DAYS before the E3 conference this deal was put into motion. This gave no time for Sony to react after hearing the news (maybe the day before the conf.)

Fishie! Fishie!

Sony has said time and again (saying 'time and again' is a nice trick to get out of finding a source) that they don't pay for exclusives. They are still stuck in the heyday of the PS1/2 when they were the best selling console and it was stupid not to develop for them. How do they expect to keep their 'core franchises' when they aren't paying and they are the least sold system? (in terms of total sales, not month by month, yes, I know there was a several month period where sony was beating MS)

And I stand by their point. People play this note as if Sony is just being stingy and dont wanna fork over no cash. SONY , NINTENDO, OR ANY COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE THE CASH TO GET INTO A WALLET BATTLE WITH MICROSOFT! They are the RICHEST company in the world, really, did you think sony could stand a chance? Plus the idea of moneyhatting never even came up till xbox. MS started that whole thing. Companies have kept their games exclusive even tho sony NEVER gave money for it. It was all on promise of a good system and joined sales. Sony rather prove itself rather than just BUY ur love. And How exactly is the PS3 suppose to come from under MS if it does not have the games to back up its selling points? Cuz that was what FFXIII was. You cant kick a man in his chin than ask him why he is on the floor?

JUMP SHIP! PS3 is goin DOWN!

not really. PS3 is still selling on par with 360 and only can improve. See my previous comments about comparing yourself to things that are doing poorly.  Furthermore, why can it 'only improve'? IMHO, another big scandal or a 3rd party releasing a cheaper Blu-Ray player or more lost exclusives or a significant price drop for the 360 could all seriously hurt the PS3.

True but i partially disagree. Dont feel like commenting tho, another time maybe...

People don't realize that the PS3 can sell withough even having the huge catolog of games the 360 has and being way more exspensive than its competition. The 360 is moving in on the sweet spot(the price range area where a system's sales peak the most) The Wii started out there and sold accordingly. What do you think will happen once the PS3 reaches it? It is gonna blow your mind. Actually, it's gonna blow Sony's pocketbook. The 'sweetspot' is 200-250$ at most. Do you really think the technology is gonna exist to sell all the technology in the PS3 for under 350$ before 2010? If sony wants to hit the sweet spot it's going to cost them hundred dollars per PS3 sold and it won't be for a while. Sony has said they want to focus on profits right now, so they aren't going to be cutting willy-nilly as long as they're still selling.

I didnt mean to imply an imediate fall to the "sweet spot". Maybe in the PS3's 5th yr. That is still fine. Unless I am mistaken the PS2 also hit the sweet spot sometime around then. Sales still shot through the roof even tho it had already been out for some time.

Many tend to say, why get a PS3 when most of the games I like are on the opposite system. This is true, but it works both ways. And the PS3 may cost more, but carries more in the box features that the competition lack or must buy seperately (standard rechargable controller anyone?). The features of the PS3 only sell the system if people want them. Blu-Ray is only a system seller if people want blu-ray, and most people aren't going to have a HD-TV before 2010. Standard Rechargable Controllers? So what. You can buy a battery charger for like 10 bucks. Furthermore the reason people buy consoles is because they want to play games, not because they like owning boxes with hi tech doo-dads.

More BD Players on the market, at cheaper price points, only strengthens the PS3's life span. Once ppl git wind of BD being here to stay, the PS3 seems more practical now. It has what will then be "CURRENT" gen media format.

I hear many going "NOw its a matter of time before we get FFVXIII now!lol!" This is more feasable now than ever in the light of the FFXIII thing but think about this. FFXIII is made by a dif director. Nomura is in charge of versus and everyone knows him to be a bit of a PS3 fanboy. Nomura has already shown his disgust with the multiplat deal. He does not believe in multiplat games(rightfully so) and simply would not do it.

FF Versus 13 doesn't matter. Ordinary people buy the core series game for name value and don't beat them. They don't say 'where can I get me more of that exposition!'. Besides, what's to say that SE doesn't make a new FF13 spinoff just for the 360? They have over a year to develop it.

I geuss that is feasable. Yet FFVXIII looks to be a better game(i thought that even before XIII's defection) It is simply that many ppl dont see what is going on. SE say they are going to started elaborating on each particular franchise instead of moving on. KInda how they are still doing FFVII. These games are not Spin offs, but full fledged games to stand on their own. Basically, FFXIII and versus have nothing to do with each other lol.

So what is to learn from all of this? WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

Simple, MS used their calling card AGAIN. We can argue the basics of moneyhatting's ethics but it leads to the same conclusion.

Now I believe, this is an opinion so dont flame me for it, that MS intention was not even to boost 360 sales with this anouncement. On the contrary, it was to simply hinder PS3 sales as much as possible. The PS3 had been gaining plenty of momentum over the last yr. With the success of MGS4 and the promise of FFXIII on its way soon MS had to act fast if they wanted to stay in the lime light. PS3 lost a valuable exclusive and the 360 went for a price cut at the same time.  And most of 360's conference was spent on blatent rip offs of Sony's franchises as well as Nintendo's. This has slightly boosted 360 sales in the last couple of weeks. And it has also caused the PS3 sales to fall just below 360's.

But my qeustion is, why go for PS3 sales instead of fucusing on your own? Do you see it as a threat? Or do you simply care less of making a serious profit but more on stomping competition into the ground?

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiishhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!

The reason the XBox franchise exists is because MS got pissed off that sony was saying 'Hey, our PS2 is so awesome to play games on, but we're thinking of expanding it so it's a living room computer! Who needs stupid Microsoft Windows when you can have a Sony Playstation Living Room Computer!'. This made MS mad because windows is where they make their billions, so they started the XBox to give the PS2 (and eventually the PS3) a credible threat so they couldn't do what they want.

The reason the XBox exists is to hurt PS3 sales numbers. That's it.

That was def what I was getting that, yet I didnt feel like typing it all here. Plus someone would of just said I was lying or something.

My comments are in Red

Mines in Blue

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Dude, they didn't pay anything, relax.

It's obvious. FF13 is just extremely expensive and they needed a wider userbase to recoup costs.

This isn't the first time FF has jumped ship for more profitable waters.  Just be happy the project was along enough for it to be multiplatform instead of it being on the Wii.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
blazinhead89 said:

Whats a true FF fan?

Some who's bought evey Single Final Fantasy game they could get their hands on, Of course tho if it was on the Wii TRUE FF fans would have a choice PS3 OR Wii version

this Microsoft payed BS is getting old fast, sony would do the same if they had the money, this is console war people everything is fair. just enjoy your game and coke and...... well watch eddie murphy raw to know what comes after "and"

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
blazinhead89 said:
Pristine20 said:
blazinhead89 said:

Whats a true FF fan?

Some who's bought evey Single Final Fantasy game they could get their hands on, Of course tho if it was on the Wii TRUE FF fans would have a choice PS3 OR Wii version

You added that bolded part because you probably haven't even played them all or own them all.  The real fans have played and owned them all.   I'm not calling myself one because you already told me since if I do get this game, it will be on the 360, that I am not a true fan. 

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

whats with the ASK GAMESTOP? do you work at gamestop or something thus you "THINK" that makes you so much smarter or something.

Nevermind...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989