By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Offensive DS game pulled

Brain game pulled over 'offence'
The game was released for the Nintendo DS
A video game which uses a term abusive to people with disabilities is being pulled by its manufacturer.

MindQuiz, a brain training game for the Nintendo DS handheld console, was released in the UK by French software giant Ubisoft in March 2007.

However, poor performance in one section sees the player labelled in an offensive manner.

The company has apologised "to anyone who was offended by the game" and said it will withdraw it.

"As soon as we were made aware of the issue we stopped distribution of the product and are now working with retailers to pull the game off the market," a spokesperson said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6253688.stm

This truly shocked me. I'm sure this is the first game that a casual game like this has been pulled.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network

...And they don't even say what word it was?

People are too sensitive. Grow up, and learn to deal with life.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

So basically... a brain training game that calls you a retard if you achieve retard-level results? I can imagine a lot of people getting pissed off over that. =P

The offensive word is "spastic".  The game calls you a "super spastic" if you do really badly.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173353.html

"Mind Quiz was pulled from shelves today after a mother of a child with cerebral palsy complained about the game calling her a "spastic" when she didn't score well, reports the BBC.

The mother, whose name was only given as Nicola, told the BBC that she had been playing the game as a way to pass the time during a recuperation period in hospital following the birth of her second son, Austin. Nicola said that she had recently lost her first son, Logan, who suffered from cerebral palsy and was brain damaged, to pneumonia.

The woman said, "I thought it was absolutely appalling that a word like this should be used to describe someone who has not achieved very well. My daddy also has cerebral palsy and he is in his mid-50s and this is a word that really offends my dad.""

I've never known the word "spastic" to be insulting at all. But I use it to refer to people who are hyper, not people who are stupid.

Around the Network

Spastic is a negative term for mentally challenged people, i believe, so it wouldn't have been a good idea if one of the people who are mentally challanged were playing the game

I wuld have thought the word be "retard"

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m

since I have a special needs child, I'll tell you what spastic is: It is short for spasticity and can either be low or high. It refers to muscle tone. People with high spasticity are very rigid and have serious difficulty moving their arms and legs. Low, conversely, leaves people with very flopply limbs. It has nothing to do with "mental" capability and such. Using the term spastic to describe or poke fun at a normal person would essentially be saying they have jerky, uncontrolled arm and leg movements rather than slow, fluid movements in a "normal" person.

There ya go. Now you know how to use the term.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
since I have a special needs child, I'll tell you what spastic is: It is short for spasticity and can either be low or high. It refers to muscle tone. People with high spasticity are very rigid and have serious difficulty moving their arms and legs. Low, conversely, leaves people with very flopply limbs. It has nothing to do with "mental" capability and such. Using the term spastic to describe or poke fun at a normal person would essentially be saying they have jerky, uncontrolled arm and leg movements rather than slow, fluid movements in a "normal" person.

There ya go. Now you know how to use the term.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.. good thing i wrote "i believe" otherwise i would have been lying

Anyways, it's still rude to certain people, and as you've pointed out, it doesn't even have anything to do with mental capability, so i'm not sure what they were trying to pull by putting 'super spastic' in there

I looked it up on Wikipedia. It appears the UK may be the only place that uses the term for cerebral palsy. In the US, we use it as a generally inoffensive comment that someone is hyperactive or clumsy. Thats always the way I've used the term.

Edit:  The link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic. It appears this isn't the first controversy concerning the UK's and US's different use of the word.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)