By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Finally, a chance to check out Too Human -- color me impressed

I played the demo. I can't really make my mind up about it. I was a little disappointed with the demo, but I think some of that is down to the amount of hype I've read about the game so my expectations were probably too high. I think I'll wait and see what a couple of review sites say, and what other players say, and unless it gets universally panned I'll probably pick it up.

Around the Network

One of my favorite games. Hope it comes to the Wii.

I played the demo as well. I really hated the game at first, but I tried it again and it grew on me.

I will buy it ...... eventually. Probably whenever it hits the bargain bin this holiday.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I kinda liked the demo, I might not buy this game as soon it releases but I may end up purchasing it.

I seriously doubt the opinion of someone with an ingrained bias against the 360. Could possibly have any legitimate interest in the title whatsoever. You simply cannot turn a player off who was never turned on. They simply have nothing relevant to say, and they are wasting valuable real estate while they pad their post count. Basically its about knowing your role and shutting your mouth. Be an adult instead of stealth trolling.

Anyway these were my thoughts on the demo for those legitimately interested in the title, but have not played the demo or cannot play the demo.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=33194

Let me state firstly I am a fan of MMORPG style gaming. I love complex gaming, inventory management, and a strong focus on character customization. Too Human is very much in that vein of gaming, and more along the lines of a massive title without the massive population. I am probably among the few that may be more impressed with Too Human then I was previously. The system is more complex then I expected, and really captures a great many aspects of online play with a very welcome console touch.

Firstly I would like to touch on the controls which have a rather nasty learning curve. The developer did not let the limitations of a controller limit their creativity. Just about every button on the controller is used for some relevant function. The right analog stick is left to pick up a great deal of slack in the combat arena, and unfortunately that can be problematic since it removes a great deal of navigational control, and initially can be very disorientating. Ones mind instinctively wishes to use the right stick for camera control, and rotation of ones character only to leave your character swinging his sword erradically. Instead of imaging a Mass Effect image a Twilight Princess, and you will have a better grasp of the situation. The controls are not bad they are definately allocated in the most logical way possible, or possibly the only way possible. They are merely challenging to master.

The combat is actually more subtle then one would imagine your not going to mash your way through encounters. Doing so is a quick ticket to the humiliating valkyrie death penalty. Instead you need to work your ranged weapon, and your melee weapon equally. The best strategy appears to be to range when possible, and engage when necessary. Then to save your special for when you find yourself mobbed. You simply must play the field just running into the midst of a dozen enemies is going to leave you exposed, and that is not where you want to be when a number of enemies are using ranged attacks. I was impressed with how strategic the combat really was. Using terrain, straffing, kiting, and target prioritization were all critical to success.

The menu systems are rather straight forward in navigation, but the demo was convoluted in explanation. The demo could have definately done better with a thorough tutorial. Just a quick intro video would have helped greatly. The skill system is block based with independent leveling within box. Which is wonderfully complex, and unfortunately very difficult to comprehend initially. You need to put points in the first box to allow you to access the other blocks, and on the bright side you are not rigidly regulated to one line. Which should allow for a lot of customization. Unfortunately for me it took me almost half the demo to comprehend the skill system. The equipment inventory is rather user friendly, but I find myself concerned equipment was accumulating quickly, and even though the system prioritises items for the player. I am still confuses as to the value system which does not appear to be relevant unless I can recycle said items, or sell said items. Further more the lack of an example save system complicates matters more, and though quests are mentioned I see no quest journal to speak of.

Graphically the real time environment is merely decent. The framerates did not suffer any noticable slowdown for me. Perhaps a couple of clips in the cutscenes. However the cutscenes look very nice, and there is a rich pallet being worked with. The facial animation is decent enough. I must confess I did not pay much attention to the audio. Either it was subdued, or entirely effective. I will pay greater attention on my second play through.

Overall I really enjoyed the demo. There was enough play time to get a grasp on the fundamentals of the game. Which the game absolutely needs since the combat system is so complex, and most definitely not something that can be appreciated in a short period of time. My advice is to play through the demo, and fight any frustrations you might have. You will start to get used to the combat system, and once that happens you will start to find the nuances in the combat. My major gripes with the demo were only getting to try out one class two would have been better to get a grasp on class differences. Not being able to test the save system not sure if the valkyrie system has limited lives, and a lack of a true tutorial. I would also have loved to know what the wolf squads use was. Can they run out in the full game, are they strategically valuable. Does my character need to work to defend them as assets through a level?

Overall judging by the tutorial the game has a lot of potential. I was starting to really enjoy the combat. Once I started to get a handle on the melee, and started to slow the combat down through ranged combat it really started to come together. I especially liked the skill system what little of it I was able to see. I would say it looks to be a very hardcore game. Not necessarily for casual players that are easily overwhelmed. I am thinking the game looks like it has the potential to be a solid eight, and for those who really enjoy complex gaming it could be a solid nine. I think it all hinges on whether a player can handle the complex combat system.

Around the Network
sinha said:
naznatips said:

Personally I almost completely lost interest in it after the flood of extremely negative previews about the game.

So you lost interest and now you won't buy it for your nonexistent 360?

If someone creates a gaming forum where you have to demonstrate that you actually own a console (using gamertags/codes) before you can downplay its exclusive games, I'll sign up right now...

God forbid I present an opinion on something!  Please, let's all move to Sinha's world, where the 360 shits gold and smells of lilacs and no one is allowed to say anything but how awesome it is and every game ever made for it is teh supar 1337 AAA ubarness. 

Seriously learn to deal with some opposing opinions for once in your life.  I'm absolutely interested in buying a 360 at the $200 price and reportedly signifficantly decreased power consumption and somewhat reduced heat, and the main thing driving me away right now is people like you who feel the need to act like this to anyone who gives the slightest negative opinion about an upcomming 360 game. 

Fortunately there are many more reasonable 360 fans on this site who are capable of having discussions about these games, and since I really want to play the 360 RPGs, your actions will not stop me from buying one.

naznatips said:
sinha said:
naznatips said:

Personally I almost completely lost interest in it after the flood of extremely negative previews about the game.

So you lost interest and now you won't buy it for your nonexistent 360?

If someone creates a gaming forum where you have to demonstrate that you actually own a console (using gamertags/codes) before you can downplay its exclusive games, I'll sign up right now...

God forbid I present an opinion on something!  Please, let's all move to Sinha's world, where the 360 shits gold and smells of lilacs and no one is allowed to say anything but how awesome it is and every game ever made for it is teh supar 1337 AAA ubarness.

Seriously learn to deal with some opposing opinions for once in your life.  I'm absolutely interested in buying a 360 at the $200 price and reportedly signifficantly decreased power consumption and somewhat reduced heat, and the main thing driving me away right now is people like you who feel the need to act like this to anyone who gives the slightest negative opinion about an upcomming 360 game.

Fortunately there are many more reasonable 360 fans on this site who are capable of having discussions about these games, and since I really want to play the 360 RPGs, your actions will not stop me from buying one.

I have heard no bad previews of it in recent times, only from far in the past, bar 1up. Can you support this with some recent previews explaining why it is crappy, i.e. links?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Fei-Hung said:
I was expecting a lot from this game and having scene the recent demo and gameplay it looks like Devil May Cry gone wrong :s The uniqueness i kept hearing about has now flown out of the window and I feel upset. What upsets me the most is the fact that they could have made it nicer then DMC but from what I have seen so far they haven't. i just hope there is more to see then what I have witnessed so far. Looks like a rental more then a purchase. :'-(

I have played both DMC and Too Human and I cannot, for the life of me, tell how they can be compared.  There is basically nothing in common with either of them besides the fact that characters attack their enemies.

Just played through the demo a second time, itching for more. Already pre-ordered for launch day.

I will like this game, but there are certainly niggling problems like the camera, framerate and REALLY annoying sharp high pitched inventory sounds.

I think co-op will be a major factor of bringing up the review score and hope they have super hard levels where you really need to work together to get through them.

Yeah, the camera was a really sore spot. The frame rate was also bad in some spots. But, in spite of these flaws, I really enjoyed it.