By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you remember Atari Lynx?

Imagine back in the day, 19 years ago. Poor kids  (like me :D)  got the Game Boy, the rich and spoiled kids got the Lynx, a plastic brick with a pretty hefty price tag ($ 315 back then) that weigh like four tons and had batteries that wouldnt last more than a few lunch breaks. Some people I knew actually brought this abomination to school a few times. At the end of the day, I was quite happy with my Game Boy and Super Mario Land.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Around the Network

What about the kids who were super spoiled like me with a Game Boy Game Gear and a Lynx? lol

Those things are HUGE!!!

and no... I never saw one....

i've played aa lot witha lynx and batman returns. It destroyed (tecnically) gb ang GG at the time.

i owned a turbo express. anybody remember that.

Around the Network

Yes, I actually bought the version 1 lynx which was metal, but the paint flaked after a while. I later bought the version 2 which was plastic and didn't feel quite as substantial, and gave my earlier lynx to my brother. This was my first experience of 2 player on a handheld. Still have them somewhere in the attic. Can't believe it was 19 years since it launched. Some great games were produced for it but it never got the support it deserved. It was the Rolls Royce of handhelds at the time: a great sharp colour screen and I think it had stereo sound through the headphones. The screen on the Sega handheld was a bit blurry by comparison and, If I remember correctly, battery life for it was even worse than the Atari. Warbirds two player was ace and Xenophobe and Paberboy were both excellent as well.

Did it have tetris?

I really liked Rampage on the LYNX, that was always the game on display in the store...

Damn that thing is huge.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Too bad Alien Vs Predator was never released for Lynx. the game looked really great for the hardware it was on.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

I still have my original Lynx 1, it works great. It was an amazing piece of kit in it's time, a bit like having a portable PS3 in todays terms.