By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Russia Invades Georgia

stof said:
You know guys, I don't mean to belittle this horrific conflict, but I don't think we're quite looking at the shaping of the new world order.

Normally i'd agree but if Russia is actually able to invade Georgia, knock over it's government and install a puppet one in it's place...

What can you say about that really?

I mean it's a democratically elected government.

I mean... if they can get away with that... any big country can get away with just about anything right?

Around the Network

I don't think this is a new world order...

Just politics as usual. Bigger countries attempting to annex smaller, weaker countries by whatever means necessary.

Maybe the UN will do something, but it's doubtful...The UN is the worst organization that has been created by any major government since the soviet bloc.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The UN cannot do anything substantive. The Russian Federation and the PRC are permanent members of the Security Council, and since Article 27 of the UN Charter requires the aprroval of all the permanent members--abstentation is the one caveat--for substantive draft resolutions, Russia (and most likely the PRC) would veto any substantive draft resolutions.

It's increasingly clear that Russia will get their way:

- They'll annex Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- They'll bomb the remaining infrastructure Georgia has in place, making it a useless country for a few years at least. We'll be lucky if they leave the oil pipeline intact.
- They'll have sent a clear message to Ukraine and NATO's expansion plans.
- They still hold the energy card especially over Europe, maybe even more strongly than before.

They put their military where their mouth was, and NATO didn't. So far, it's all words from the Western side and I'm suspecting it will stay that way. Score one point for Russia. Call me pessimistic but I think Russia called our bluff and we just stood and watched.

A very sad sequence of events in the last few days.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Jackson50 said:
It is becoming clear that Russia intends to overthrow the Saakashvili presidency. Russia is making veiled threats to other nations that are seeking further integration with the West. I am not sure what President Saakashvili was thinking when he began shelling South Ossetia last week. It was a gross miscalculation, and a lot of the major European powers are blaming Georgia for being irresponsible. Taking that into consideration, I doubt we will see any actions taken by the West. Threatening to expel Russia from the G8 could be a response, but I doubt we will see that.

It is speculated that Saakhasvilli thought that Olympics is the best time to attack and Russia will not get involved (Putin was in Pekin). There are also claims that he was promised help from other countries if things go wrong or putting it in other way: was sold (probably by Americans) to test Russians.

Some Russian medias claim that Saakashvilli has been already sentenced. He has Russian blood on his hands and he won't get away with that. Even if he flee to States he will find be found and punished.

Around the Network

@kamil: That's just one of many theories which are circulating... Let's not pretend that we know what really happened behind the scenes.

For one thing, we don't even know who pulled the trigger first.

Russia keeps getting nicer and nicer:

Russia's ambassador to Latvia Monday warned the Baltic states and Poland that they would pay for their criticism of the Kremlin over the conflict in Georgia, the Baltic news agency BNS reported.

"One must not hurry on such serious issues, as serious mistakes can be made that have to be paid for a long time afterwards," Alexander Veshnyakov was quoted as saying by BNS.

Contacted by AFP, a spokesman for the Russian embassy in Riga confirmed the ambassador's comments but declined to elaborate.

Veshnyakov's remarks followed a joint statement Saturday by Latvia's President Valdis Zatlers and his counterparts from Estonia, Lithuania and Poland which called on the European Union and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to oppose Russia's "imperialist" policy towards Georgia.

The three Baltic states -- which were part of the Soviet Union -- and Poland are staunch allies of Georgia, a former Soviet republic.

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland are now members of the E.U. and NATO.

So now we have a Russian ambassador threatening the very country (and neighbors) where he represents Russia.

Suggestion to our Polish and Baltic friends - get more warm clothes for the winter in case Russia closes the tap on natural gas.

According to one of our lovely American polls (AOL online poll), Americans support the Georgian side of things, 65% to Russia's, at 14%.

So the US populace is certainly on the Georgian side...I just hope that when the US flew those 2,000 soldiers into Georgia, that they gave them a little "extra" equipment.

Preferably some stingers, SAWs, and Javelins..

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

so Russia is trying to get it's land back