By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Russia Invades Georgia

Okay, here's a batch of fresh news from the war front:

The UN is divided in what their official stance on Georgia is, the russian lobby is quite powerful in those circles.

Dammit, russia DID bomb Tbilisi. The target, as it became clear this morning, was the Georgians army airport, which is situated very near the city. This seriously will cripple the war effort on Georgias part.

Also the Russian navy has entered Georgia Water space this morning. This is a blockade to halt any supply shipments for the Georgian army, should anyone decide to do so. At least three ships are forming the blockade

And lastly, the Georgian army has TOTALLY retreated from South Ossetia. At least 100 Georgian soldiers are dead.

This doesn't look anymore like Russia is protecting their people, this a normal invasion.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Around the Network

Does South Ossetia want to be independant or join / re-join Russia?

Breaking news:

Abhazia, the second rebellion Georgian province has sent 1000 of it's soldiers to aid the Russians in an effort to drive off the Georgian army. This only stems the idea that Abhazia has decided to set Georgia in flames and leave after doing so.

Ad it has happened. Things have gone from bad to worse.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

^I think it may get even worst from how things are going.

@ ODC
Both Ossetia and Abhazia have always wanted to be independent, but it's complicated. Those territories have always belonged o the Georgians, but ever since the Soviet block crashed and burned, the Russians have done all in their power to make those provinces start fightng against Georgia itself. it happened in the 90, and it's happening again now.

Yet even with the independence claims, you can be more than sure, that those provinces will not be able to function normally on their own, and will gladly take "help" from russia if such will be offered. And it will. All this is just a play for local domination.

Around the Network

So for the last two days I've been in a major Civilization 4 conquest mode and literally not touched the tv or internet. Tonight I decide to break myself away from conquering the last continent to watch our dvr copy of the Olypmic opening ceremony, my God China did a great job on that btw, and during that I hear the CBS people mention a war with Russia and Georgia when they noticed Bush and Putin discussing something from their seats.

Now, I spent the remaining hour or so reading up on what I missed over the last few days and DAMN!

I think this will end in one of three ways.

1. NATO and UN pushes Georgia to give up S. Ossetia and Russia agrees to push the other areas in Georgia to stand down. Of course this will happen in a way that NATO looks like the hero.

2. This is going to be like Afghanistan. US and probably some other NATO members are going to heavily help Georgia and probably Ukraine behind the scenes with advanced military weapons. This will continue for awhile, possibly a long while. With the possibility of other Russian breakaways joining in, all with NATO underground assistance.

3. This is going to cause a much larger war between NATO (Read US and a few brave others like Poland) and Russia. Least likely IMO as none of the 'big' nations really want to have a war with each other. Its much easier fighting the little guys.

I hope this ends soon and just returns to the status quo.

Georgian troops have now left Tskhinvali... Russia had previously said they'd stop hostilities if that happened (or was it "if you leave Ossetia?").

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Russians using ballistics (from CNN):

U.S. official: Russia's attack on Georgia is 'disproportionate'

* Story Highlights
* Russia strikes signal a "dangerous escalation in the crisis," official says
* Official: Russia is probably trying to kill Georgia's chances of joining NATO
* U.S. has told Georgia that it has no chance of winning a war with Russia
* European allies have said Russia has "crossed a line of unacceptable behavior."

From Elise Labott
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Russia's use of strategic bombers and ballistic missiles against Georgia's civilians outside of the South Ossetian conflict is "far disproportionate" to Georgia's alleged attack on Russian peacekeepers, a senior U.S. official said Saturday.

The official was not authorized to speak on the record due to the sensitive nature of the diplomacy.

Russia's use of its potent air weaponry signals a "severe" and "dangerous escalation in the crisis," the official said.

"For the life of me, I can't image that being a proportionate response to the charge that Georgia has attacked Russian peacekeepers," the official said. "It's hard for us to understand what Russia's plan is here."

The official said Russia is probably trying to destabilize Georgia politically to kill its chances of joining NATO.

Georgia wants to join NATO, but Russia opposes the move, concerned that the alliance's eastward march will erode its influence. NATO rejected Georgia's membership bid in April despite strong lobbying from U.S. President Bush, though the alliance promised that Georgia could join at a later date. VideoWatch President Bush comment on conflict »

Still, Georgia bears some of the blame for the fighting over South Ossetia, the official said. Recently, the United States has had "very blunt exchanges with" Georgia, telling its leaders that they have no chance of winning a war with Russia and that they should stick to a path of diplomacy. VideoWatch injured Georgian soldier being treated »

The official said European allies have told the United States that Russia has "crossed a line of unacceptable behavior" and should "expect international condemnation."

"I do sense an emerging unified view among our key allies," he said.

The United Sates, Britain and NATO on Friday called for a cease-fire. And on Saturday, French President Nicolas Sarkozy proposed an immediate cease-fire as part of a three-step plan to end fighting.

Sarkozy's proposal calls for the return of Russian and Georgian troops to their former positions and requires Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity be respected. A statement from Sarkozy's office did not provide further details on the plan.

The official also said the State Department has authorized only the voluntary departure of dependents of U.S. embassy employees from the Georgian capital of Tbilisi. The official said he did not know how many dependents would choose to leave.

Meanwhile, the U.N. Security Council held a private meeting on Georgia on Saturday, though it seemed unlikely that there would be any immediate agreement on a statement on the conflict.

The U.S., European Union and international security organizations on Friday called for an end to the fighting

Bush and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Friday discussed the conflict in Beijing, where they attended the opening of the Summer Olympics.

The EU and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe were sending envoys to Georgia to secure a cease-fire, but a senior U.S. State Department official said the United States would send only a representative after a cease-fire is in place.

The European Union said it was working with other parties "towards a ceasefire in order to prevent further escalation of this conflict." EU spokeswoman Christina Gallach told CNN: "We think it is not acceptable to see these scenes of bloodshed and destruction."

Also, from a post on neogaf:

From an article on Eurasia Daily Monitor / Thursday, June 19, 2008

After a recent meeting between Russian and Georgian Presidents Dmitry Medvedev and Mikhail Saakashvili in St. Petersburg, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told journalists, "We told the Georgians that their desire to join NATO will not help solve the problems of Abkhazia and South Ossetia; it will lead to renewed bloodshed" (RIA-Novosti, June 6). Later Lavrov added in a radio interview, "We will do anything not to allow Georgia and Ukraine to join NATO" (Ekho Moskvy, April 8).

From BBC:

Georgia says its forces have withdrawn from the separatist enclave of South Ossetia, and that Russian troops are now in control of the regional capital. An interior ministry spokesman told the BBC it was not a military defeat but a necessary step to protect civilians from a "humanitarian catastrophe". Georgia says Russia has brought an additional 10,000 soldiers across its frontiers, readying for a raid. Earlier, Russian jets bombed a military airfield close to the Georgian capital.

There was no independent confirmation of the attack, although the BBC's Gabriel Gatehouse, who was in Tbilisi, said he had heard a loud explosion about the same time. Georgian troops have pulled back to positions at or south of those held on 6 August, when the current hostilities began, said Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili.

From the Guardian:

Georgia's worst nightmare has come true. Russian tanks and armoured cars, packed with soldiers, rolled over the border, through the Caucasus mountains, on to Georgian land, and Russian fighter jets were streaking across the skies.

For most people in Georgia, this was a Russian invasion, regardless of the fact that Georgia had initiated the fighting. 'This is an overt, open attempt to destroy Georgia, to bring Georgia to its knees, to put an end to Georgia's independence,' said Saakashvili, in one of a series of televised speeches to his increasingly fearful people. 'Unless we stop Russia, unless the whole world stops it, Russian tanks will go to any European capital tomorrow,' Saakashvili warned. It was a note of desperation.

Definitely sounds like Russia simply wants to destroy Georgia versus limit their ability to attack the disputed territories.

I know Georgia is right on the steppes of Russia, but does anyone find it odd that when Georgia began to attack the rebels, just 2 days ago, that Russia's retaliation has been a little too..........Quick? I mean, it's gone from the violation of the ceasefire, to Russia using ballistic missles, and cross-country attacks in 48-odd hours. Maybe it's because I'm American, and we have a slower military, but surely it'd take a little longer if this conflict was more of a surprise?

Just seems like Russia was watching and waiting for the opportune time to move in on Georgia...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@mrstickball

you are very much correct in your assumption. Remember that Russia had their military stationed in Ossetia as "peace corps" which in fact were self proclaimed, as no one ever gave them permission for that title.

Since the early 90's Russia had been stirring emotions in the provinces putting everyone against each other, imo this was all thought through and planned.